Jet VSF-14-3 vertical self feed bandsaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Jet VSF-14-3 vertical self feed bandsaw

Once again I have an opportunity to pick up a saw at a crazy price. Free!

"What's the problem", you ask.

3 phase power. The reason I can pick up a $3500+ saw for free is because it requires 3 phase power. I obviously don't have 3 phase power at my house. I can wire it up 2 phase and use a capacitor across those for starting and then just run from 2 phase, but I'm not sure I really want to do that.

I can buy a single phase motor for it, but that's almost $700 and a bit out of my budget, especially for a 1HP motor.

So my question is this. Anyone know of good sources for less expensive but decent motors? I can probably build a mount conversion plate, if necessary.

Now the hard part will be getting it to my house.

What would you do with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Sawdust Maker

View Midwest Millworks's Photo Album My Photos
Free is always a deal that is hard to pass up. That bandsaw is meant for cutting metal. Although it would work for cutting wood, it wouldn't do some or our tasks very well. I don't think it would be a very good saw for resawing. That is just about the only thing I do with my bandsaw.

Would it be possible for you to sell this saw and use the money towards a wood bandsaw, or do you work with metal also?

As far as you question about is it worth it to get a converter? If it were me I would pass on it, unless I was able to sell it.

Mike Darr
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest Millworks For This Useful Post:
frankp (12-28-2012)
post #3 of 10 Old 12-27-2012, 02:13 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp View Post
Once again I have an opportunity to pick up a saw at a crazy price. Free!

"What's the problem", you ask.

3 phase power. The reason I can pick up a $3500+ saw for free is because it requires 3 phase power. I obviously don't have 3 phase power at my house. I can wire it up 2 phase and use a capacitor across those for starting and then just run from 2 phase, but I'm not sure I really want to do that.

I can buy a single phase motor for it, but that's almost $700 and a bit out of my budget, especially for a 1HP motor.

So my question is this. Anyone know of good sources for less expensive but decent motors? I can probably build a mount conversion plate, if necessary.

Now the hard part will be getting it to my house.

What would you do with it?
You can run three phase with a rotary phase converter or a VFD, Variable Frenquency Drive on single phase 220. You might also be able to get a used single phase motor. I have a stroke sander in my shop that has a irreplacable direct drive motor that runs just fine on a phase converter. From what I understand a VFD is much cheaper.

If you are going to jury rig the motor, two three phase motors will run better than a single one. This is the concept behind a rotary phase converter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
frankp (12-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. This is a metal bandsaw and at this point I'm thinking I'll just sell it, though if I can convert it to single phase relatively cheaply I may just do that.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly has some inexpensive 3 phase converters. Not sure of the efficiency, but if this is only 1 HP motor, cannot be too expensive to operate.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Stat...1-1-2-HP/G5840
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
frankp (12-28-2012)
post #6 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That saw is the cat's meow!

A 1 hp single phase motor would cost around $100 or so just swap out the motor and you got a great machine. The speed is too slow for wood cutting, but for anything metal it's great. You will make out great whichever way you decides to go...keep, change motors, sell, trade.....maybe for a nicer table saw.???

You would want the same RPM as motor you have:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
frankp (12-28-2012)
post #7 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Just brought the saw home today. Had a little issue getting it to clear my low-hanging garage door, but it's in now. Decision time... sell or convert?

My wife doesn't want me to spend any money on it and I don't really need a self-feeding bandsaw for what little metal work I do so I'll likely sell it. Anyone have good suggestions for selling options other than ebay and craigslist? I think if/when I sell this I'll want to get a lot of exposure.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 PM
I <3 the smell of sawdust

View JohnnyTooBad's Photo Album My Photos
I say go onto CL and find an old tool for cheap with a powerful enough motor that runs at the proper RPMs. Trash the tool and keep the motor.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 PM

View gus1962's Photo Album My Photos
I'd probably go for CL .
post #10 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Once up a time I had a job building cabinets for a heavy construction company. They had to keep blueprints from jobs for a certain amount of years. These prints are typically kept rolled up, pretty large rolls with 100 pages or so, bridges, highways, etc. They had the idea to use 4" PVC pipe which they had plenty of. There are "chairs" used to group many different runs of pipe in situations like running utilities under bridges, in trenches, etc. I made a bunch of large cabinets with a plywood face with holes drilled to match an assembly of these pipes with the chairs. Probably about 20 pipes per cabinet section, 3 sections per cabinet and 20 cabinets. That required a lot of pipe cutting. Guess what I used, a self feed bandsaw, they aren't just for metal. Not sure what I would have done without the saw. If you have the need to cut a ton of PVC pipe nice and clean, square and to equal length, keep the saw, otherwise, there isn't much use for one in woodworking, LOL!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode