Woodworking Talk banner

Izzy Skirt Washers? Anyone used them?

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  allpurpose 
#1 ·
https://www.fastcap.com/product/izzy-skirt-washer

A friend pointed these out to me on Facebook, and at first glance, they look pretty neat. If you don't want to click the link, they're basically a more versatile version of a figure 8 tabletop fastener: instead of two loops (one for connecting to the skirt, one for connecting to the tabletop), it's one loop (for connecting to the skirt) and an elongated groove (for connecting to the tabletop).

It really seems like the best of both worlds. It has the ease of use of a traditional figure 8 fastener, and the degree of flexibiilty and movement allowance that would usually require a z-clip.

Have any of you guys used these? I'm seriously thinking about buying a set of 10 and seeing how they look.

#2 ·
That would work fine but I think the rockler table top fasteners would be simpler. The skirt washer would cause you to mortise the top of the skirt to accept the fastener where the rockler ones you just run a dado on the back side of the skirt and just screw them on when putting the skirt on.

#3 ·
For me, the figure 8 fasteners are just simpler. I don't have to worry about making sure the slot is exactly the right distance from the top, I don't have to worry about whether the clip is too far into the slot (so when it expands it won't have anywhere to go) or too shallow (what if it contracts and falls out?)...I just set my router table and edge the top into the it at a couple places where I'm going to put the figure 8 fasteners. Of course, I only use those for side tables: I know you need more allowance for movement with larger tables. But with these, it looks like they would work for almost any size table.

#6 ·
I've used the infinity style and wooden cleats with the grooves cut using the Rockler router bit. Just looking at the Izzy style I like using a flat head screw in the skirt and round head in the table top. Although I would use a Forstner bit in the skirt to install the Izzy slightly below the surface and a bit of paraffin to insure that the round head slides easily.

#11 ·
Not me..I'm cynical and was hoping to see the entire sheet wrap around the drill bit..lol
Not really, but occasionally I do like to see some shmuck completely ruin things on a video when it should have been done right in the first place..;)
I was considering buying a few, but the shipping was more than the product itself and would arrive way too late so I passed. I don't go out of my way to make FedEx rich on my dime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.