It's time - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 07-11-2020, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
It's time

Well,...as you can see this "workbench" has not only been a work surface, but has morphed into an unholy alliance of mess and a monumental waste of space and unless something is done about it I don't see it changing its ways. So...something has to give. I'd show you the rest of the shop, but it's not much better.

This spring has kept me busy and with busyness comes messes since my lack of a nice tidy maid to walk behind me cleaning up things leaves me to do it all. I've run out of wall space for storage and the wall behind the unholy alliance (there really is a wall there)is the target of my storage space lust.
The problem, other than motivation is space to put all the crap on the unholy alliance while I rebuild the bench and the soon to be storage shelving, hooks and cabinets and whatever other things I can refill with yet more future crap. Yup! More crap will magically appear out of nowhere, but I gotta start somewhere . I've considered just heaving everything out into the driveway then hoping and praying it doesn't rain like hell right away and even the lack of rain might still attract every thief from here to the furthest reaches of the next state over so that's out. The other option is to store it all in the house, but there's a Mrs. to convince which isn't likely so that leaves the shed in the back yard which is also well on its own way of becoming its own unholy alliance in its own right.
Yeah, I know. I'm beyond time for an intervention, but it's finally time before the unholy alliance overtakes every available inch in the rest of the shop. Anyone who has read much of the stuff I have written here should be familiar with this unholy alliance / too big of a bench and monumental waste of space I've been planning to fix forever and now forever has finally arrived.
difalkner likes this.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.

Last edited by allpurpose; 07-11-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-11-2020, 10:15 AM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
I see the wall is peg board. There are a host of fitments for pegboard including shelves. All available from Amazon.
Johnep

Last edited by johnedp34; 07-11-2020 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 21 Old 07-11-2020, 10:42 AM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
About 30 minutes with a trash can and youll make a appreciable difference.

The key to organization I find is ease of access for the frequently used items. That wall appears a good 4 ft from the front of the bench.

You may need a total redesign of the bench to be able to get easy access to the items on the wall, or make a standout from the wall for each shelf so that you can reach easily.

Also, just get in the habbit of puting a tool away after you use it, even if your gonna use it again later. Otherwise, things get out of control in a hurry.

On second look, maybe the table is only about 3 ft, which is more manageable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-12-2020, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

It's an easy 3 feet..actually just a hair over 3, but the wall is pretty much useless unless I grow a few inches at 61 years old. I have a hunch that ain't a gonna happen. Please don't preach about bad habits. You really don't want me to cut loose on bad habits...do ya? No. Of course not..
Anyway, this job has been kicking my butt especially in the heat of the 90's here in SC.. I've already filled up the county supplied trash bin so I'm really looking forward to Tuesday when they empty them again.
So far I've gotten to this..

Whoever built it didn't plan on it falling apart which is good, but holy crap! Knocking the nails out from the bottom is unworldly tough. The rest is getting cut apart soon as I figure out where to go with the rest of the stuff underneath.
I thought I would have some help from my son, but he's hiding while he pouts about getting his feelings hurt. I don't recall raising such a sensitive kid. I'm convinced his little sister would easily out work him, but that's another story.
So anyway, ever since I began working out here I've been playing catch up with organization. I now know I should have built a system for organization before jumping in. It kind of goes way back to my years of poverty and thinking I had to hang on to every tiny scrap of wood, paper, etc. I've reached the point where I'm ready to load up the truck for the city dump and make those tough decisions of what's worth keeping and what has to go and stick to it. One of the first things has to be lumber storage. Some is worth saving obviously, but pine cutoffs? It's so cheap it's barely worth the bother to hang on to much more than a 2x4 unless it's perfectly straight and square. I usually have a few 2x10s or 12s to cut up, but the rest just takes up space. I am hanging on to one small section that's useless for almost everything, but it's the one I had to pry off the saw with a prybar. It's almost perfectly flat in one direction and ungodly bowed in the other. LOL
Mostly I'm saving hardwood and large sheet goods. Most everything else is going out as are some tools I'll never use again especially those from my HF phase.. I found an old HF biscuit joiner.. I have found precious little use for it along with a stack of Chinese made 'diamond' sharpening stones. They're the epitome of the term crap.
In the meantime my good bench has morphed into a collection port of sorting things so it's going to have to get cleared for the job of building the storage shelves and another much narrower bench. The good news is I have plenty of plywood and peg board leftover although I've never been wild about pegboard. I'll have the space for some proper storage and the time to do it right this time around. And I still have plenty of scraps left for all the small things I plan to store properly. Oh yeah..wiring! I really need some new outlets so I'm not constantly tripping over extension cords.
furnacefighter15 likes this.

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 07-12-2020 at 07:21 PM.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-13-2020, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Thinking about the bent piece

SO..This piece is about 40" L and 1" thick. It deflects roughly 1 1/4" or so and takes about 40 pounds of pressure in the middle to straighten it. Of course once the pressure is released it springs right back. It's just plain yellow pine. Can anyone think of a good use for it other than fire wood? I don't know why I've hung on to it all this time, but it just captured my attention...other than just an attention getter?

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 07-13-2020 at 08:23 AM.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-13-2020, 08:58 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
Oh yeah..wiring! I really need some new outlets so I'm not
constantly tripping over extension cords.
people really don't realize that when extension cords are constantly
stood on and rolled over tend to "crush" the internal wiring thus
setting up the prime conditions for shorting out and causing a fire.
a cluttered area in the vicinity of that short is fuel for the destruction
for whatever it is in.

I'm just saying . . . . .

but - the cleanup is looking much, much better so far !!!!

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 07-13-2020 at 09:00 AM.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-13-2020, 09:18 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Make the top 2’ deep so you can use the wall, maybe even install a few cabinets w/ doors.

Drawers on the bottom is much more efficient.

IOW tear it out and start over.........and don’t forget to drink your Gatorade. :-D

Robert
post #8 of 21 Old 07-13-2020, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Yey..it's all ripped out from the wall without having to chop the plywood up and out..Most everything is salvageable for the next phase and I have lots of new floor space, 45 square feet and 450 cubic feet if I ever find a reason to climb all the way to the ceiling.. Not bad for an old man with a screwed up hip, knee, ankle and a couple of heart attacks.
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Impressive, huh?
post #9 of 21 Old 07-13-2020, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post
people really don't realize that when extension cords are constantly
stood on and rolled over tend to "crush" the internal wiring thus
setting up the prime conditions for shorting out and causing a fire.
a cluttered area in the vicinity of that short is fuel for the destruction
for whatever it is in.

I'm just saying . . . . .

but - the cleanup is looking much, much better so far !!!!u

I agree wholeheartedly on extensions. I've already had one small fire directly under the table saw from a frayed cord. I got lucky it just smoldered, but it could have been much worse. I fixed the fray, but still need to completely replace the tablesaw cord . I'm considering some sort of raised cord cover with metal armor around it.

Impressive, huh?
post #10 of 21 Old 07-13-2020, 09:50 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Take it one step at a time. Think it through. Don't stop until it is done. Keep in mind about how you plan to use your shop. Major shop upgrades that make things easier to be organized are wonderful. Commit to keeping it that way by allowing time for keeping it tidy at the end of each work session. Getting help from your kids can be difficult sometimes... after all... how many times have you told them to clean up their rooms... and not helped them? Sometimes our kids just don't realize how much they actually owe you. This is your zone... make it yours. Have fun and be safe. Best wishes.

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
post #11 of 21 Old 07-13-2020, 10:10 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
You can make all sorts of holders for pegboard out of scrap wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0966.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	392327  

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0967.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	392329  

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0968.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	392331  

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #12 of 21 Old 07-13-2020, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I was reading an old version of Fine Woodworking and one episode (the phrase escapes me) had several smaller panels built specifically to fit on pegboard. The panels themselves are 1/2" plywood with edging around them, but the smaller panels can be moved around without moving everything else and the individual panels can be customized for specific tools and so on. Even beyond that is the ability to have them on hinged (piano hinges ) tiers to stack out away from the wall so if I were to have to move it all someday I can just lift the whole shebang at once (or shebang(s))..That really has my interest . I don't know how long this might take to build, but the idea of it really appeals to me.

Impressive, huh?
post #13 of 21 Old 07-13-2020, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Take it one step at a time. Think it through. Don't stop until it is done. Keep in mind about how you plan to use your shop. Major shop upgrades that make things easier to be organized are wonderful. Commit to keeping it that way by allowing time for keeping it tidy at the end of each work session. Getting help from your kids can be difficult sometimes... after all... how many times have you told them to clean up their rooms... and not helped them? Sometimes our kids just don't realize how much they actually owe you. This is your zone... make it yours. Have fun and be safe. Best wishes.
I get your drift about taking the time, but I still gotta make a living so I don't have unlimited time here. My son is stuck on feeling sorry for himself for now. He got in trouble with the law with a DUI in another state and has absolutely lucked out with the pandemic and all..otherwise he'd be locked up, but he's still trying to blame the whole thing on his tire blowing out and all but ignoring the fact that he was drunk when it happened. He's been driving my wifes van to and from work and she's uncomfortable with letting him continue since he's about to lose his license for a while. Toss into that mess and he's still drinking. He's really got no excuses since I went through the very same nonsense 30 years ago and finally gave it up completely and he knows what I put myself through. He also knows that I completely quit drinking because of it and a few others reasons like hangovers and my general health..
Anyway..I love my son with all my heart and want nothing but the best for him, but there are limits he doesn't seem to care about. I've been retired for about 5 years and still outwork him on a day to day basis.. Oh well.. Perhaps it'll sink in someday. I'm not holding my breath waiting though.

Impressive, huh?
post #14 of 21 Old 07-13-2020, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Well, considerably more space than before. I still have about 17 half gallons of paint I don't know what to do with and I have no clue what to do with all the crap now setting on my good workbench, but I'll figure it out eventually..
I just realized that before I started I had to walk sideways between my bench and the mostrocity. Now it's almost 7 unimpeaded feet of clear space.
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 07-13-2020 at 11:43 AM.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-13-2020, 02:13 PM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Looking good.

As for the cords, I like retractable cords that can be mounted to the wall or ceiling. Very easy to just unplug and put away.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
The Following User Says Thank You to furnacefighter15 For This Useful Post:
Rebelwork (07-19-2020)
post #16 of 21 Old 07-13-2020, 06:27 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Years ago I mixed leftover latex paint together and used it to paint my pegboard... couldn't believe how much brighter it made it, and at little cost/effort.

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
post #17 of 21 Old 07-14-2020, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Most of the bench is finally cleared off. I'm planning to recycle the old bench as much as feasible. There's quite a bit of 2x4 lumber I plan to rip to about 1 3/8 to glue back together for work surfaces so I'll have enough for a few bench tops, primarily for the tops of cabinets for grinder, sharpener, and other bolt down stuff. It gives me a good excuse to get out the planer. I did buy a ws2000 sharpener for cheap. It's being shipped still so i have no idea if it'll even be useful or not, but for 30 bones it's not that big of a deal either way.
Holy crap though! I've been out in the sun knocking nails out all morning and its already over 90 out and I don't expect it's gonna get any cooler till the sun runs away for the night.. At 60 going on 90 it just ain't getting any easier.. Oh well..at least I get to make all my neighbors look like lazy slobs.. As if that means didly squat.. lol

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 07-14-2020 at 12:10 PM.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-14-2020, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I've finally decided to build a roll-around cart for my Ridgid planer. All this time I kept it on the floor out of the path of things, but now I'll have the space to roll it around and more importantly I won't have to lift the darn thing up on the bench every time. It's heavier than I am old even in doggie years!

Impressive, huh?
post #19 of 21 Old 07-14-2020, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

The major part of ripping and planing done at least until I rip and glue, but the old 2Xs are planed and the sides ripped to square or a reasonable facsimily of square..Good enough to glue/laminate.
I have a craftsman tool chest I want to separate the top from bottom section and put a laminate top on it. I'm not sure about the top section, but I'm considering putting it under a top on a slide out shelf just to get it out of the way, but we'll see. This chest has been consistently in the way of things since day one and a lot of nice, sharp chisels have been dulled sitting in a drawer, resharpened, redulled, resharpened, rinse, repeat, etc. Enough of that..
Meanwhile it's nap time. I've been at it since about 7am and it's going on 5pm.. I ain't no spring chicken.

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 07-14-2020 at 04:49 PM.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-18-2020, 08:45 PM

View laldog3's Photo Album My Photos
I too have major problems keeping my benches clear. (or really any horizontal surface down the basement)

A previous poster suggested putting tools away as soon as you're done with them, great advice as long as you have a place to put them. Making a space for each tool should be priority one. The peg board presents an excellent place to hang your most frequently used tools...and you have a lot of pegboard. (paint it white...another excellent suggestion)

Finally, I hung a 10" shelf a foot above the bench. This shelf serves as a temporary holding place for whatever tool and supplies you are currently using. (This keeps the work bench clear for work)
Works very well for me.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode