ipad case made from 1 solid piece of wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 10-13-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

View Nut Cracker's Photo Album My Photos
Question ipad case made from 1 solid piece of wood

hi... first post.. never been here before, but figured this would be a good place to start as I cant find what I am looking for.

What I want: An ipad case made out of solid wood. something easy to work with... not pine. well maybe pine for a prototype.

what I wanna do: I want a 2 part case for my work ipad... so you take the ipad, and slide it into this sleeve and using a leather string? close it up with the top 2 inches which fits nicely over the top half the i pad, leaving all the important buttons and such exposed.

I am not concerned with weight, of adding a bit of 'depth;' to the ipad... if the sides add 1" on each side dont care.

an inch thick? dont care

little bit bout this project: I want an ipad I can take on estimates for my business. and show off in hd quality the work we do. but i would like a case, that (preferrably i made) that accents the work we do...

tools I have to work with: table saw, jig saw, planer, sanders, chisels, router table. biscuit jointer, ect a contractors wet dram of a shop... i dont have a lathe but want one...

thoughts? I have a general idea in my head... I thought about piecing it together with scraps of wood, even did a test run - total fail

a simple ipad cover in natural wood... there are lots of leather cases and such, but nothing says 'i made that', like i made that. ya know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-14-2015, 01:04 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Best of luck on your project. Try bass wood.

Al

post #3 of 9 Old 10-14-2015, 03:46 AM

View sawdust703's Photo Album My Photos
Well, you mentioned weight didn't concern you, why not oak? Oak is a fairly forgiving wood, & you could stain it most any color. You also mentioned you've got a router. Since you're planning to use pine as a prototype, design your exterior of the case. With your planer, you could bring your board thickness down to 5/8", or there about. Try to plane your wood for the case out of the same length of board, your measurements will be easier to look after. You may have make a glue up to get the width you need. Then using a bottom cleaning bit, or something similar, set your height of the bit to take out about 1/8" or so at a time until you get to your desired depth. You'll want to do the same to the top half, or lid, of your case. This will allow your IPad to set down into the lower part, & you can close the lid on top of it to close it. Install your hinges, clasp, & whatever you are going to line your case with. Taking a round over bit, run it around the edges on the lid of the case, & you have a case. It may all sound complex, but its simple, & can be done pretty fast. I made my Mother & sister cases just like I described, & they use them daily. Just a thought.

Sawdust 703

Last edited by sawdust703; 10-14-2015 at 03:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-14-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

got any pics?
post #5 of 9 Old 10-14-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

got any pics?
post #6 of 9 Old 10-15-2015, 02:29 AM

View sawdust703's Photo Album My Photos
As a matter of fact, I do, Sir. But, I'm yet to figure out how to download them onto this site. I ain't much of a tech wiz on that part. I'm doin' good to get the thing turned on, & get to this forum daily. I'll see if I can get some "younger" help, & get them on here for you.

Sawdust 703
post #7 of 9 Old 10-15-2015, 06:16 AM
Wayne

View BaldEagle2012's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust703 View Post
As a matter of fact, I do, Sir. But, I'm yet to figure out how to download them onto this site. I ain't much of a tech wiz on that part. I'm doin' good to get the thing turned on, & get to this forum daily. I'll see if I can get some "younger" help, & get them on here for you.
Go to photobucket.com and register. Very easy to work with pics on that site.
Load your pics to "photo bucket" makes it much easier to post to the forum from photo bucket.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-15-2015, 08:07 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldEagle2012 View Post
Go to photobucket.com and register. Very easy to work with pics on that site.
Load your pics to "photo bucket" makes it much easier to post to the forum from photo bucket.
just a caution - did that once.

a gentleman then came back and said something like nice family! they have access to ALL of your photo bucket account pics then. so only put pics on that account that you are willing to share with the world.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Woodenboat Builder

View gstanfield's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
just a caution - did that once.

a gentleman then came back and said something like nice family! they have access to ALL of your photo bucket account pics then. so only put pics on that account that you are willing to share with the world.

You have the option of setting privacy levels on photobucket, you just set up separate "albums".

Still, I think it's good practice to never put something online if you are concerned about who may see it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George

I Peter 2:17
The Following User Says Thank You to gstanfield For This Useful Post:
TimPa (10-15-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode