introduction to myself just for georgec - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 07-07-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

View Steve 1980's Photo Album My Photos
introduction to myself just for georgec

Hi my name is stephen but most people call me steve i was born in yes you guessed it 1980 im a joiner of 17 yrs i live in northern ireland as my profile shows if you need any more details debit credit card etc please feel free to ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-07-2015, 10:55 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 1980 View Post
Hi my name is stephen but most people call me steve i was born in yes you guessed it 1980 im a joiner of 17 yrs i live in northern ireland as my profile shows if you need any more details debit credit card etc please feel free to ask
Steve,
Welcome to our woodworking forum.
Is a Joiner the same as a cabinet maker?
post #3 of 10 Old 07-08-2015, 06:54 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the short introduction.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-08-2015, 08:14 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome here Steve, to this very friendly woodworking forum, where there is always room for one more. Whatever way you make your sawdust, be safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodchux For This Useful Post:
Steve 1980 (07-10-2015)
post #5 of 10 Old 07-09-2015, 06:01 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Steve....don't know too much about debit cards(cash is king) but,do you have a shop?Does it have any windows?What's the view like?

Just trying to paint a mental image of a joiners shop in N. Ireland.Heck,it might be down in some 300 y.o. industrial neighborhood......wheres the slobber icon,haha.

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWSmith For This Useful Post:
Steve 1980 (07-10-2015)
post #6 of 10 Old 07-09-2015, 07:32 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
here's the issue with intros ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 1980 View Post
There's two main types of folks that come here to post questions about how to make, design, or finish a project:

(1) some who after they get an answer, are never heard from again an have not made a personal contribution to the forum. However, a question can be a "contribution" in that it generates answers by our other members with their skills, techniques and info.

(2) some who are truly interesting in improving their skill and stick around to contribute nor ask more questions. Sometimes we find out that a simple question or statement by a new member reveals a wealth of experience on their part and they become a valuable member.

Introductions are not "required", but they give us some background as to your age, experience, location, shop equipment and tools which is not only informative, BUT answers or advice is often "location" oriented. IE the UK or Australia has different material and tool resources than the USA.

We also occasionally get a new member who wants to sell something, needs an employee for some job position etc. but they have not reached the 25 mandatory post requirement to place a Classified ad.
Some are just spammers, other are sincere folks. This is why we ask for an introduction, to help weed out the spammers and distinguish the more serious members. FYI.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-09-2015 at 08:19 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
mat 60 (07-09-2015), Steve 1980 (07-10-2015)
post #7 of 10 Old 07-09-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Hello all and thanks for the welcomes.
A bit more about myself.
I begun woodworking at the age of leaving school and have worked in the trade for the past seventeen years I spent a small period of my early career in the workshop environment and leant how to mill raw material etc. for the most part of my working life I have spent on site hanging doors fitting skirting architrave roof work staircases etc.
In the past couple of years I have set up my own small work shop where I can further my own interest of finer woodwork yes I enjoy my day job (find a job you like doing and you will never work another day in your life) but my hobby is working in my spare time at more finer projects I can create at home and I have joined this group hoping to learn and maybe pass on something to someone

Thanks

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 1980 For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (07-10-2015)
post #8 of 10 Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

To answer Toolman and I quote woodanthings many different terms are used in USA UK and Australia you would need to define a cabinet maker but in my experience from home that would be a finer grade of woodworking than on site joinery
post #9 of 10 Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 AM

View phoenixbound's Photo Album My Photos
sounds like "site joinery" means what a carpenter does. builds walls, wooden structures, etc, but not furniture, for example.
The Following User Says Thank You to phoenixbound For This Useful Post:
Steve 1980 (07-10-2015)
post #10 of 10 Old 07-10-2015, 11:55 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbound View Post
sounds like "site joinery" means what a carpenter does. builds walls, wooden structures, etc, but not furniture, for example.
Think he would be a finish or trim carpenter this side of the pond.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
Steve 1980 (07-10-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode