internal water cooled wheel grinder - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-01-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

View cassidy's Photo Album My Photos
internal water cooled wheel grinder

Are there any internal water cooled wheel grinders out there so I can sharpen my lathe tools and chisels without having to dip them in water every 10 seconds to prevent carbonizing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-01-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

For clarification, I mean a grinder with an internal small reservoir of water (that you can pour in and replentish) so you don't have to hookup the grinder to a faucet water source.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-01-2017, 09:58 AM
The Man

View Masterofnone's Photo Album My Photos
What speed does your grinder run at? Most bench tops run at 3000RPM. A good grinder for lathe tools runs at half that speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-01-2017, 12:34 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I have one of these, it puts a hell of a good edge on a cutting tool but it is rather slow

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-W...ce=grizzly.com

I think it is a copy of a Tormek but it is about 1/5 the price
post #5 of 8 Old 07-01-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Masterofnone - the rpm of my bench grinder is 1720.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-01-2017, 04:13 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Quick google search..
https://www.google.com/search?q=Wate...iw=360&bih=518

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #7 of 8 Old 07-01-2017, 05:53 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
There are grinders VS honing systems ....

Bench "grinders" come in 2 speeds, 3450 RPMS OR 1725 RPMS. or close to that. The 3600 RPMS will burn your edges quickly and you need a water dip close by. The 1800 RPM model is a bit more friendly, but water is still need to cool the edge. You won't find a bench grinder where the wheel runs in a water bath because the wheel is spinning too fast and will carry the water out.

However, other systems use a slow speed wheel running in water, Tormek, Triton, Grizzly clones, etc.

Another type uses a flat disc running horizontally like Worksharp where the disc is replaceable with different grits.

Myself, I use a vertical belt "sander" for grinding metal and sharpening drill bits. I find the wide selection of belt grits far more useful than a wheel or two. I use a drill sharpening jig like this to put a professional grind on my drill bits ranging from 3/16" to 3/4", and have it bolted to the table with a wing nut for quick removal:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-01-2017 at 06:07 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Don't think the actual name has been mentioned yet, but you're looking for a wet wheel grinder. Internal water cooled wheel is more likely to get results for grinding wheels meant for surface grinders with through-wheel coolant systems, nowhere close to what you want. I'd take a look at the grizzly unit Cat posted, I've got to play around with a few and they seem like pretty well built machines. I hesitate to call them 'grinders' though, in my head a grinder is a tool meant to rapidly turn metal into dust. More apt to call the wet wheel systems sharpeners, in my opinion, they don't remove metal nearly fast enough to grind.

Oh, and you dip tools in water to cool them down to prevent drawing the temper of the steel, not carbonizing. Carbonizing is process where you heat iron in a carbon rich environment devoid of oxygen (sealed stainless steel foil pouch filled with sugar works) to close to its melting temperature and hold it there for a period of time to allow the carbon to diffuse into the iron and turn it to steel. Tempering is heating a piece of steel that has been quenched (hardened) to a certain temperature to soften it a bit. Get steel too hot, like at a grinder, and it gets too soft to hold an edge, which is why you have to keep tools cool whilst grinding them.

Fun fact, if your tools are made of high speed steel you never have to worry about heat softening them at the grinder. You can get the steel red hot with no Ill effect

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode