Insulating My Shop Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-07-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

View chichas01's Photo Album My Photos
Insulating My Shop Question

Hey folks, first post here on the forum.
I've got a existing pole building shop that I'm framing out with 2x6 bookshelf girts in between the poles. Plan is to insulate and and add drywall so I have a nice place to do work year round. I have a wood stove for winter and will add an A/C unit for the summer.

I've got framing done on most of the shop but before I install the insulation bats, I need to seal up the gap between the outside sheathing. The sheathing is one layer of painted OSB T111. Do I caulk it? Great foam? Tape? Other? I've attached pic where you can see the seam where sheathing comes together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0068.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	369063  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-07-2018, 01:29 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Normally the T111 would be nailed to a stud to guarantee the siding (lap) is tight, so that would be my consideration.

Gary
post #3 of 6 Old 12-07-2018, 02:49 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
That stud would be behind the joint in the OSB.

Are you leaving the OSB as the only outside material? Personally I would want it covered by some material designed to be used as the outside layer on a structure.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-08-2018, 12:06 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What I would recommend is covering the OSB with metal building insulation. It comes in rolls 5' and 6' wide with a white vinyl face on it. It's cheaper than other insulation and works very well.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-08-2018, 10:44 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
use the tape for sealing the flanges around windows and doors - see
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Protecto...7206/100396171

other sizes/prices available - 6" width is more than you need to tape the seams.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-10-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

View chichas01's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
That stud would be behind the joint in the OSB.

Are you leaving the OSB as the only outside material? Personally I would want it covered by some material designed to be used as the outside layer on a structure.

George
Yep, leaving the OSB for now. May add better siding in the future, but for now that's it.
I could tack a 2x4 in and then nail to it from the outside but some areas would be hard to get to as my ladder isn't tall enough to get to all sides of my shop. It's built above the ground off the side of a hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
What I would recommend is covering the OSB with metal building insulation. It comes in rolls 5' and 6' wide with a white vinyl face on it. It's cheaper than other insulation and works very well.
That might work for the ceiling where I have a metal roof but I'm already 75% done framing for r-21 insulation which I can't get with the thinner metal building insulation. Building gets pretty hot in summer and cold in winter and I need a well insulated workspace that won't use a ton of wood to heat or electricity to cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
use the tape for sealing the flanges around windows and doors - see
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Protecto...7206/100396171

other sizes/prices available - 6" width is more than you need to tape the seams.
I think between this tape and tacking in a 2x4 as George suggested I can get the seams sealed up.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode