Installing wall mounted 72" double vanity and quartz top on metal studs... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By J_L
  • 1 Post By shoot summ
  • 1 Post By J_L

post #1 of 11 Old 05-19-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

View branimal's Photo Album My Photos
Installing wall mounted 72" double vanity and quartz top on metal studs...

Will the metal studs hold the vanity, quartz top and all the stuff in the vanity drawers?

I read the spec sheets and they say it can be installed with plastic anchors if need be....

Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-19-2017, 10:58 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you are careful not to strip the screws in the metal stud you won't have an issue. Wall cabinets you would need toggle bolts but there is no weight on a base cabinet. What will pull it away from the wall?
post #3 of 11 Old 05-19-2017, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking the tongue weight could take it out of level. Or someone sitting on the edge of the cabinet. It's for an upscale rental so I'm always thinking of the worst scenarios.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by branimal View Post
I was thinking the tongue weight could take it out of level. Or someone sitting on the edge of the cabinet. It's for an upscale rental so I'm always thinking of the worst scenarios.

When you install any base cabinet you put shems under the cabinet until it sits flat and level. If the wall is out of plum and leaning back you also put shems behind the cabinet. With the cabinet sitting solid on the floor it doesn't take very much to hold it to the wall. If it worries you, you might put a little liquid nails between the cabinet and wall. Really the screws into the metal studs should be enough.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-20-2017, 05:25 AM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
Is this a floating vanity or a traditional cabinet that sits on the floor? If the latter, see Steve's post above.

If it's a floating style, I'd bolt in some solid lumber between the studs at the mounting points and look at replacing the drywall behind the vanity with some similar thickness plywood. This plywood would then be secured to the metal studs and to the additional solid backer. The cabinet would then screw through the plywood into the solid backer.
branimal likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Will this have feet resting on the floor?

I know what I "might" have used a bathroom vanity for in the past, so I think you are smart to anticipate what could happen on one...
branimal likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to shoot summ For This Useful Post:
branimal (05-20-2017)
post #7 of 11 Old 05-20-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

No feet on the floor. That's my concern.

post #8 of 11 Old 05-20-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_L View Post
Is this a floating vanity or a traditional cabinet that sits on the floor? If the latter, see Steve's post above.

If it's a floating style, I'd bolt in some solid lumber between the studs at the mounting points and look at replacing the drywall behind the vanity with some similar thickness plywood. This plywood would then be secured to the metal studs and to the additional solid backer. The cabinet would then screw through the plywood into the solid backer.

It's a floating vanity. Good to know that plywood is recommended in this scenario.

The Sheetrock will be three layers thick (fire code here). Would three layers and metals studs suffice or do I need 2x material and plywood?

Thx

post #9 of 11 Old 05-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
It's a floating vanity. Good to know that plywood is recommended in this scenario.

The Sheetrock will be three layers thick (fire code here). Would three layers and metals studs suffice or do I need 2x material and plywood?

Thx

Will it only attach to the wall on the back, or will one, or both of the ends attach to a wall?
post #10 of 11 Old 05-20-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Only attach to the wall on the back.

post #11 of 11 Old 05-20-2017, 07:46 PM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
You really need solid backer behind the drywall. I'm still a fan of plywood and a backer bolted into the studs.

In lieu of that, lag screws into the studs on the bottom of the cabinet and toggle bolts through the studs at the top of the cabinet. The bottom will have more shear action on the fasteners while the top of the cabinet will try to pull away from the wall - pivoting on the bottom fasteners. The negative with drywall behind the cabinet in this scenario is drywall will dent and compress leaving more room for play. With play comes fatigue and with fatigue comes failure.

And after you do it, make sure you're comfortable sitting on it. As shoot summ eluded to, it will be used for more than brushing teeth. If you're not comfortable sitting on it, it won't hold up in a rental setting.
branimal likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to J_L For This Useful Post:
branimal (05-21-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode