Woodworking Talk banner

Installing faucet in granite countertop

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TimPa 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to install a faucet in a granite countertop. It's a single hole faucet that's held in place by a single nut. On the top side of the granite, the faucet has an o-ring to seal it to the countertop. On the underside there's a rubber washer and a giant plastic washer, followed by a nut. After that, there's another nut (me) turning the nut on the faucet with a wrench.

Here's the question--- how tight to tighten the nut on the faucet?I don't want the faucet to get sloppy, but I darn well sure don't want to crack the granite.

Any guidance to be had?

#2 ·
like any nut or bolt in any application... a quarter turn before it breaks >:)

like any fragile surface, just snug it down.
you can try to move the faucet and then go back and snug it a little more if you detect movement
it should have a rubber gasket that will settle a bit, don't use plumbers putty on granite as it will stain

those single lever faucets come with a wrench, but it can be a pain to re-tighten with all the lines hooked

#7 ·
One time I had a kid that worked for us change the oil on our Gators, he asked how tight should the filters be I told him hand tight and 1/4 of a turn

He must have been Sampson, because they were so tight I almost had to take the engine out to get them loose, not much room in there for a strap wrench, but good luck and clean living prevailed LOL

#11 ·
i think i would almost bet the farm that there is not a residential faucet built robust enough (brass threads, plastic nut, etc.) to crack granite, with or without a wrench (basin or other).

you might apply a little plumbers grease on the threads prior to install to ease the nut rotations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.