Incra Hinge mortise - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

View CHRIS_BOXMAKER's Photo Album My Photos
Incra Hinge mortise

I just recently made my first set of Incra hinges out of wood for some box's that I am building. I want to make a Jig or set of Jigs to make uniform repeatable cuts with the router to make the mortise to mount the hinges. Any one already made these or have any ideas before I start from scratch? I have a pretty good idea on how to make the Jig but I am always open to advise.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (16).jpg
Views:	693
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	76155  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Not sure why no one responded to this post. Did I say something wrong or ask a bad question? Anyone with experience with the incra hinge system I would appreciate the help.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry, Chris. No experience with the I-Jig here.
How were you wanting to mount them?

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-02-2013, 06:05 PM

View Paarker's Photo Album My Photos
I used peach trees hinged mortising jig item # 3262 to cut exactly what your talking about and it worked great. While I'm sure there's a lot of other ways to do this. This is the one I chose.

Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino
post #5 of 7 Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a set of bushings, cut the jig the size of one 'wing' of the hinge plus the thickness of the bushing. Then set your depth and go.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-03-2013, 03:52 AM
(clever wood pun here)

View Phaedrus's Photo Album My Photos
Hmmm, I guess I don't do enough hinges to build a jig for the mortises. I usually just mark them out using my incra t-rule. I use a chisel to chop the outside edge to partial depth and clear out the bulk free hand with my plunge router. Then I just clean up the rest with a chisel. It doesn't take long and I am pretty satisfied with the accuracy .

Do you plan to just glue the wooden hinges into a mortise or do you plan any kind of mechanical joint as well? You could cut the edges of the hinge plate with a dovetail but and cut the mortise with the same bit so it slides into place as just one idea.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I build a lot of boxes and have used brusso quadrant hinges in the past. Which I haves template to use a router to cut the box for a perfect fit every time. This will be the first wooden hinge I use. And I have about 10 identical sets to cut and mount with glue only. I plan to use it again in the future so I was hoping to make a jig. I will also use one brusso stop hinge on the side to hold the top from opening past 90 degrees. The humidor's are all made from expensive wood and take a very long time to get to the point that they are ready for hinges. No room for mistakes! This will be my project for the weekend. I will check out peach tree and I like the idea of the dovetail for future use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode