3Likes
  • 1 Post By NoThankyou
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By Quickstep

post #1 of 4 Old 08-19-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Inadvertent Glue Test

I did an Inadvertent Glue Test some years ago. It was purely unintentional but learning endeavor.

I had to pull apart some 2x4 glued to make legs for a frame. When I saw the results I did a glue test.
The test was two 2x4 glued together in a cross along the 3˝ faces. I did two and clamped each while letting the glue dry over night or so. One was Gorilla and water spray while the other was TiteBond III.

When I pulled the 2x4 pieces apart, the differences between the Gorilla and TB III was evident. With the Gorilla, about 80% of the surface was glue breaking apart and 20% wood fiber failure. The TB III joint showed almost 100% wood fiber failure and almost no glue failure.

Unscientific but exceptionally interesting.
ScubaDoog likes this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-20-2019, 02:00 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Personally not a fan of Gorilla glue, never really gotten great result with it before. If wood glue won't work for a project I'll just use epoxy seems to work a lot better.

-T

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo (Pokemon the Movie)
It's kind of strange that this line was delivered in that movie of all things. It's still a really good quote, and certainly a dang good thing to remember.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-20-2019, 04:00 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I use Titebond III for basic woodworking joinery, just like most people. It is relatively inexpensive. It is strong. It is waterproof. It is easy to use and clean up, compared with nearly any other wood adhesive.

I use Gorilla Glue (polyurethane) to glue brass tubes into drilled holes in pen blanks, which are made of wood or plastic. I like it because it foams to fill the gaps (the holes are not always a perfect match, and may be a little rough. It feels hard, but with a little flexible "give" to it, so I believe it is less likely to crack from brittleness if dropped, compared with the more popular CA glue. I have not tried it for ordinary wood joints, but the foaming action would be annoying. Cleaning squeeze out would not be fun.
NoThankyou likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-20-2019, 02:04 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Polyurethane glues foam to fill the gap, but the foam has very little strength. Polyurethane glue performs well when you have a very good fitting glue joint, but when you have a glue joint that's a good fit, almost any glue will perform well.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode