Imperial - Metric Converisons - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 08-16-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

View Scinzon's Photo Album My Photos
Imperial - Metric Converisons

Alright. Simple topic about converting Imperial into Metric and Metric into Imperial, because conversion tables are sh^% and tell you nothing.

Probably not going to use it much, so make sure to use the Hell out of it if you like to. I can help you with converting to Metric.

I am making plans in ScetchUp. The Metric part is fine; 18mm Melamine/MDF/Play/whatever. But I believe that 3/4 will make much more sense for Imperial guys than 23/32; that will be 19,5mm.

I am correct about 3/4? Will people in the USA be able to just to to the store and buy some material in this thickness?

Just making sure because I have no other way of knowing if even small Lumber Yards in the US carry it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-16-2015, 05:20 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
My local lumber yard still sells true 3/4" material. Most box stores with their imported materials use the direct imperial equivalent of the metric measurements, which usually break down into /32's since they're skimping on material.

If you're making it for us (U.S.) 3/4 is going to attract more attention, if it's a true measurement. If it's actually more or less I'd use the exact equivalent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chamfer For This Useful Post:
Scinzon (08-16-2015), Waterloo (09-03-2015)
post #3 of 14 Old 08-16-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much Chamfer!

I will make two completely separate sets of plans. One Imperial, one Metric.

The Imperial plans will use pieces precisely 3/4 thick if that is easy for Imperial people to find.

Of course, the Metric and the Imperial versions will not be the exact same size, but making things easier for Imperials is the whole point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Important thing to note, if any of your plans require a part being exactly 'x' inches thick you can't go by the size of out plywood. 3/4 plywood is usually 23/32 thick, with enough variation that no 2 sheets ever seem to be the same size

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
Scinzon (08-16-2015)
post #5 of 14 Old 08-16-2015, 07:52 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
3/4 plywood is usually 23/32 thick, with enough variation that no 2 sheets ever seem to be the same size

This is not true for local lumber yard high quality ply. The made in America stuff they label as 3/4" is either spot on or less than 1/64" difference.

As I mentioned the box store stuff isn't the same. 23/32 is nowhere close enough to be called 3/4.

If he's making plans for U.S. folks 3/4 would be the way to go and if the end user can't find true 3/4 then they can make the adjustment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chamfer For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (09-03-2015), Scinzon (08-17-2015)
post #6 of 14 Old 08-17-2015, 03:33 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamfer View Post
This is not true for local lumber yard high quality ply
Not true for your particular local lumberyard ply. The ply at my local lumber yard ply, high quality though it may be, still isn't exactly 3/4 thick.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
Scinzon (08-17-2015)
post #7 of 14 Old 08-17-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

epicfail48, Chamfer thank you, I will keep this information about Plywood in mind.
I have seen both the kinds of Plywood that you mention.

Personally, I would advise for melamine or MDF when the tolerances are "low", but many seem to prefer the Plywood, so in this case I would suggest going for good quality Sea Plywood.

In any case, my plans generally do not require much precision +/- 5mm or 5/32 is not going to make much difference, especially if all the pieces are precisely cut in width and length.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-17-2015, 03:29 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
I think it would need to fall on the user of the plans to adapt the plan to their situation. If you call it 3/4" people will get the idea that they arent shopping for 1/2" or 1" material.

A typical american shopper is likely to experience variations in their source material to a greater extent than 18mm vs 3/4 nominal.

IME, the only significance this ussually has is in dados though... so does it really matter? If the answer is yes, then they will need to compensate no matter how painstaking you develop the plan.
The Following User Says Thank You to bauerbach For This Useful Post:
Scinzon (08-17-2015)
post #9 of 14 Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Alright. A BIG thanks to all of you who replied here!

This is what you helped me out with: https://scinzon.wordpress.com/2015/0...esk-organizer/
Non-Monetized link but the idea is that it will be in the future. Hope you are OK with that. The idea is to monetize through ads so that there will be free plans and videos for everyone.

As I said before, I would gladly help with any conversions to Metric, including SketchUp plans.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-03-2015, 09:29 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamfer View Post
This is not true for local lumber yard high quality ply. The made in America stuff they label as 3/4" is either spot on or less than 1/64" difference.

As I mentioned the box store stuff isn't the same. 23/32 is nowhere close enough to be called 3/4.

If he's making plans for U.S. folks 3/4 would be the way to go and if the end user can't find true 3/4 then they can make the adjustment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Not true for your particular local lumberyard ply. The ply at my local lumber yard ply, high quality though it may be, still isn't exactly 3/4 thick.
There is enough variation,with the usual variation falling on the skimpy side, that some router bit manufacturers have brought out plywood dado specific bits, for making dados for the undersized plywood.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-03-2015, 10:25 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scinzon View Post
Alright. Simple topic about converting Imperial into Metric and Metric into Imperial, because conversion tables are sh^% and tell you nothing.

Probably not going to use it much, so make sure to use the Hell out of it if you like to. I can help you with converting to Metric.

I am making plans in ScetchUp. The Metric part is fine; 18mm Melamine/MDF/Play/whatever. But I believe that 3/4 will make much more sense for Imperial guys than 23/32; that will be 19,5mm.

I am correct about 3/4? Will people in the USA be able to just to to the store and buy some material in this thickness?

Just making sure because I have no other way of knowing if even small Lumber Yards in the US carry it.
What is your problem with metric conversion tables? They are very straight forward and simple to use?

Of course each conversion is not always to a whole number. There is no reason that they should be.

Regardless, profanity does nothing to help solve your problem.

George
post #12 of 14 Old 09-04-2015, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Have you ever tried to turn a Metric project into Imperial or the opposite?

"sh^%" is an understatement. Conversion tables tell you nothing while they give you the impression that they are useful. They are not, especially the rounded conversion tables.

Their only use is finding the closest equivalent but even then you must have an Metric Mindset and an Imperial Mindset and make two versions of the same thing from scratch.

Indeed "profanity" does not solve problems but eases the mind.

Anyway, the project is now complete and I made two versions, Metric and Imperial. Both from scratch. So thanks again to everyone who helped!
post #13 of 14 Old 09-04-2015, 03:50 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
how about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scinzon View Post
Alright. A BIG thanks to all of you who replied here!

As I said before, I would gladly help with any conversions to Metric, including SketchUp plans.
Since there is some variation in plywood thickness in the USA, why not give the consumer 2 choices like ....

For "undersized or Metric" plywood use these plans (A)

For standard size or full thickness plywood use these plans (B)

Just explain the application varies with the material thickness and based on the purchasing source, choose either set of plans.

I can purchase undersized, el cheapo plywood from the box stores like Home Depot OR quality full size plywood from the plywood supplier, depending on my project and the design I am using.

Can we assume you are based in the UK or Europe, not in the USA?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #14 of 14 Old 09-04-2015, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I do live in Europe.

There are already two sets of plans. Metric and Imperial.
I am afraid that giving too many details will only confuse people as to which set of plans they should use.
(And I mean newbies, novices and people wanting to start woodworking and DIY, not the people here. Most people here can copy my design, and probably any design, by just looking at a single picture.)

This is why I make my plans with the following distinction:

Imperial = for people in the USA and those in UK, Australia, etc, who prefer the Imperial system and have access to materials.

Metric = for everyone else who most probably do not have access to Imperial materials or when they hear "Imperial" they think of Ancient Rome or Emperor Palpatine.

Each one should make adjustments to fit their materials, it is nothing complicated, and I do provide the Metric or Imperial SketchUp file with the relative set of plans to play with.
In woodworking the tolerances are not very low anyway.

I do not make Woodworking Lesson Videos, but there are many kind gentlemen and ladies out there who do. Far better than reading a boring lesson in the form of an article, written by a non-native speaker.

What I might do, is make an article about the different types of plywood in the USA and hyperlink it into the PDFs along with a hyperlink to these forums and some other places.

If Metric plywood is closer to el cheapo plywood, then by all means, use the Metric plans but make adjustments when necessary.

There is a strong probability that the el cheapo plywood is made in China or Russia and it is not really undersized, but instead it is 18mm Metric that is sold as 3/4 Inch, (3/4 would actually be 19,05mm). They can save a lot of money by selling wood just 1mm thinner.

And my plans are FREE. You can download and use them for free for personal or commercial purposes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode