Image Transfer to Wood for Wood Burning?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 05-22-2020, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Birding Psychosis

View Thorn495's Photo Album My Photos
Question Image Transfer to Wood for Wood Burning??

I'm trying to do a wood burning (pyrography) portrait for someone and wanted to transfer a computer printed image of the portrait to the wood; like a stencil that tattoo artists use as a founding reference for proportions and all that. The method using a waxy paper and a laser printer works pretty well, but you have to put a fresh coat of water based poly or an acrylic gel on the wood first before transferring the image to it. The problem is, when you start using the pyrography pens on the wood, the poly/acrylic gel gets kind of muddy and interferes with the burning.

I wanted to figure out how to transfer the image with my laser printer, but I may give up and just use graphite paper, tracing the print out onto the wood for the main bodies, proportions, basic details, and praying for the talent for the details. Any other ideas of how to get a printed picture to transfer to the wood for wood burning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2020, 06:31 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
It would always work with Xerography but I don't know about laser printers.

Print the image, as a mirror image on a laser jet printer. Within an hour or so, put the image, face down, on a flat piece of the project. Use a clothes iron to transfer the image to the wood.

You could try one of the actual Xerox machines for the copy. Especially ones that use "Fuser Oil". In this case, the older the Xerox machine, the better the results.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
The Following User Says Thank You to NoThankyou For This Useful Post:
Thorn495 (05-24-2020)
post #3 of 5 Old 05-22-2020, 07:31 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Seems like this topic came up a few years ago and there is a product available at artist paint stores or craft stores that can be applied that easily transfers the design.
The Following User Says Thank You to Terry Q For This Useful Post:
Thorn495 (05-24-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-23-2020, 08:52 AM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
Photo copiers and laser printers use ink that is actually powdered high temperature wax. If you print a mirror image of your pattern either way and attach it to your wood, printed face down with tape along one edge (so you can lift and check the transfer without losing alignment) you can apply a hot iron to the back side of the printed pattern and transfer it to the wood. It works best if you print the pattern as dark as possible without losing clarity. I do this when transferring patterns for scroll sawing, occasionally. Keep lifting the pattern sheet and checking the quality of the transfer, and apply longer heat to any area that didn't transfer completely. Practice this method a few times before doing your project.

Be certain to make sure that there is no ink on the bottom of the iron, if using the wife's clothing iron, before putting it back in the closet.

Charley
The Following User Says Thank You to CharleyL For This Useful Post:
Thorn495 (05-24-2020)
post #5 of 5 Old 05-24-2020, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Birding Psychosis

View Thorn495's Photo Album My Photos
I looked through lots of YouTube DIY's and the technique with the clothing iron in this video ended up with very good results:

Last edited by Thorn495; 05-24-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode