Im in a bind, cant figure out best way to do these drawer fronts.. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

View oldmacnut's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to oldmacnut
Im in a bind, cant figure out best way to do these drawer fronts..

Please, tell me how you would do it...

Building a serpentine dresser, kinda still on the prototype version, which is all plywood, case is done, ready for bondo and prime/paint.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/cherry-serpentine-dresser-build-thread-39108/

But thought I would get a head start on the 6 drawers today.
The issue is I am not using any "wood" if you will, its all been ply goods, or MDF to work out certain things prior to the 2 solid hardwood ones ill make when done.

Well the original drawer fronts from original dresser I borrowed the design from were not bent, but bandsawed after what seems to be a 10" thick glue up. Well I dont want to use non ply materials for the drawer fronts for this one, figuring gluing up 3/4" ply would be fine.

The issue is, for each level of dual drawers, at 50" w, cutting a blank at 3" x 50" prior to bandsaw, it would chew up almost a full sheet of ply, just for 2 drawer fronts , 3 sheets for 6 drawer fronts seems alot, yes buying thick stock would be the easy way, but I am not nor have I done any planning for expansion of regular wood for this dresser.

so, to make 2 drawer fronts, rip 15 pieces at 3" w x 50" long, glue up those layers, bandsaw the shape out, cut in half, voila 2 drawer fronts, but almost a full sheet waisted.

ideas? cause while this sounds like the logical way to do it, sure seems like a ton of material.

and yes, I plan on finishing the prototype and giving it to my sister.

It's all fun and games until someone loses the Walnut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Are you aware of Kerfkore products, bendable plywoods and veneer laminating techniques?
http://www.kerfkore.com/
post #3 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Check out these curved fronts

Post 52 in this thread;
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f9/wa...-37677/index3/

You could make a form and laminate them in a height that your bandsaw will easily resaw.. OR use thin substrate and laminate them then veener in your choice of wood.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

Yeah, and Ive done some plywood kerf cutting before, it has crossed my mind as an option, only way to know how well that would work is to try it.

Drawer fronts are to be 3/4 thick, they will be painted inside and out.

For the walnut and cherry dressers, ive made a bending form already for them.

post #5 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Post 52 in this thread;
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f9/wa...-37677/index3/

You could make a form and laminate them in a height that your bandsaw will easily resaw.. OR use thin substrate and laminate them then veener in your choice of wood.

I made a form for the hardwood dressers, this is for the plywood version thats getting painted.

I have 13" resaw ability with my bandsaw, so yeah, resawing wide stock isnt an issue.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
then kerf the plywood

kerf it front and back...all at once in the sheet form, then form it and fill the kerfs with Bondo to retain the shape. Sand and paint.
That would be the most cost effective and easiest in my opinion. A thin veneer could be applied to strengthen if desired....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 8 Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
If you can use the old drawer fronts as a form, you may have to allow for (or add) for a size differential, would likely be the easiest way. You could use plywood and kerf it and use a resawn veneer from the species as the outer faces as the bread of a sandwich, with glue and many clamps.

Or, just use kerfed plywood clamped to the form, and use Bondo to fill the kerfs. Then sand the faces, and use a veneer for the final faces.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

I had thought about a suggestion my wife made last night, to build up the mass of the drawer fronts using MDF ( I have tons of MDF) and in that glue up insert some plywood in important spots, like where the drawer sides will meet, top and bottom of drawer front.

However, Im going to try both, kerfing ply, and the mdf core idea, since this is getting painted there is no need for veneer, drawer sides will be 1/2" baltic birch along with drawer bottoms, and those parts wont be painted.

If the MDF core sounds dumb, let me know, I havent been feeling good this week so I expect my usual ability to reverse engineer is not at 100% right now.

When kids lay down for a nap, I think Ill try to do a mdf core/ply bracing "alpha" test front, post a picture, I have the feeling that some of yall are having a hard time picturing the shape of the fronts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode