Ideas for leftover laminate flooring - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 14Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Ideas for leftover laminate flooring

I have 6 boxes of laminate flooring left. Not enough to do anything more with in the house. It's not real wood, and has attached underlayment. The slats are about 5" x 4', lockable type.

Any ideas what I could do with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I strongly suggest you keep some for future needs.
in case you have some kind of damage to what you just put down.
that way you know the replacement will match.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --
post #3 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 05:53 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I use left overs for bench tops instead of buying hardboard, good surface to work on, wipes clean.
mjadams61 likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 11-09-2019, 02:26 AM

View DesertRatTom's Photo Album My Photos
I used some to for a top across a 10ft long set of base cabinets. A couple of book cases and the flat screen TV sit on top of it. Looks great.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-09-2019, 03:17 AM

I used some left overs from the floor in my office for the mantel:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mantel.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	380415  

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
post #6 of 25 Old 11-09-2019, 10:37 AM

View Bob in St. Louis's Photo Album My Photos
I used almost an entire box repairing the damage caused by a water leak on the fridge icemaker.
Sorry, I know that's boring, but in the event they stop making that color/style, you'll have a back-up.
JamesTinKS and NoThankyou like this.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-09-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
I used almost an entire box repairing the damage caused by a water leak on the fridge icemaker.
Sorry, I know that's boring, but in the event they stop making that color/style, you'll have a back-up.
With laminate flooring there is always a chance damage will show up somewhere so it is a good idea to keep some around.

When I did a room for a friend we picked up a pallet of several cartons on special, the vendor warned us that the new lot, same name and shade would not lock to the old stock so to make sure it was enough for the job.

FrankC
post #8 of 25 Old 11-10-2019, 12:19 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
About the laminate flooring "stuff".

In a word DON'T.

It was the dumbest thing that we ever did in the room addition. You can't repair the laminate. It can be scratched and all you can do is replace or cover it with a rug.

A bit of advice from the school of hard knocks.
If you are doing hard wood floors, install a good solid oak and DON'T stain it. In 15 or 20 years when you want to re-finish the floors all it takes is sanding and a couple of coats of floor polyurethane. My kid scratched the floor in his brand new house during move in. The floors had been pre-stressed and stained dark. Several attempts were made to try to match the color and we failed. Even a painter friend tried. There is a rug covering the scratch today.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #9 of 25 Old 11-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Mark Jones Ozark

View Mark Jones Ozark's Photo Album My Photos
I see laminate in many houses I go into and it looks great. Very serviceable and easy to replace and fix a section that gets damaged by water or pets. Having some stored away is a very very very good idea. I look at floor covering like it's something that NEEDS to be replaced every now and then. In my daughters 130 year old house the floor talks to you as you walk accross it. Going up the stairs is a whole concert in wood movement!

No floor covering is indestructible. Things happen. Same thing goes for vinyl siding. Buy extra and save it. Replacing damaged parts of it is easy.
post #10 of 25 Old 11-11-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Everyone's input appreciated! I think I'll keep it stored in case I need to replace some.
Bob in St. Louis likes this.
post #11 of 25 Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Yep, keep it. We have some hardwood stored away JIC.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #12 of 25 Old 11-12-2019, 08:15 AM
Mark Jones Ozark

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThankyou View Post

In a word DON'T.

It was the dumbest thing that we ever did in the room addition. You can't repair the laminate. It can be scratched and all you can do is replace or cover it with a rug.

If you are doing hard wood floors, install a good solid oak and DON'T stain it. In 15 or 20 years when you want to re-finish the floors all it takes is sanding and a couple of coats of floor polyurethane. My kid scratched the floor in his brand new house during move in. The floors had been pre-stressed and stained dark. Several attempts were made to try to match the color and we failed. Even a painter friend tried. There is a rug covering the scratch today.
Laminate flooring is so easy to fix even if it's in the middle of the room. Lots of videos on how to do it. You just need the extra saved pieces so it will match up. You can do the same with hardwood flooring if you have extra of it. (Buy Extra folks it's worth it).
Bob in St. Louis likes this.
post #13 of 25 Old 11-12-2019, 02:06 PM
Nine Thumbs

View Shop_Rat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

In a word DON'T.

I have used laminate with great success. I've found that the key to a successful installation is purchasing quality flooring to begin with. The junk you see for a buck fifty a square foot is more than likely just that- junk. It may look good to begin with but will not ultimately prove very durable. The better flooring will be manufactured using the high pressure method (usually around 1000 PSI compressive). This technique makes it very hard and will stand up to shock loads better than the cheap stuff.

The other thing I look for is the top coating. Flooring made using aluminum oxide for top coat is far superior to a simple urethane finish. Aluminum oxide is extremely hard and is tremendously scratch resistant- much more so than any urethane finish. I have dropped couch legs when moving furniture and scooted high back chairs around with no adverse affects. It isn't impervious, but it is tough stuff.

Finally, I'll admit that I have managed to bugger up a section of floor. But I also found that laminate is easily replaced. Simply cut out the offending piece (take the center out with a circular saw or roto zip and collapse what's left into the void.), knock the locking tab off the new piece, squirt a little glue to it and set it perfectly back in place. Easy peasy!

You get what you pay for, but even the best laminate certainly won't cost what a full bore hardwood floor costs. And, it will usually be way tougher than the real thing.

Just my experiences with it. Your results may vary.

Another $000,000,000.02 worth of advice,
Mark
post #14 of 25 Old 11-12-2019, 02:34 PM

My entire house is either laminate or ceramic tile, the living room and hallway laminate was in place when we moved in 20 years ago, it is now showing signs of age but considering it was from the time when it was glued in place has stood up very well.

I did our stairway with laminate and matching hardwood nosing, when a friend saw it she hired another "friend", a floor installer to do hers and most of the top floor of her home. It was an absolute disaster, the stair nosing was vinyl glued to a composite board, fastened with several brad nails, no glue, and were loose and dangerous in a matter of weeks. The main floor started to separate, her 'friend " came back with his pin nailer and fastened the loose planks in place. He used wood screws to secure the stairway nosing, which is now solid but the vinyl coating has started to peel. What really bothers me is that our friend brought him over to see what I had done on the stairs and he assured her he would do the same for her.

I guess the moral of the story is you get what you pay for and pick your friends with caution.

FrankC
post #15 of 25 Old 11-12-2019, 04:14 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

In a word DON'T.
my thoughts exactly.

sell the leftover on craigslist. save the cash to buy real wood flooring next time
all 2000sqft of wood flooring in my house was installed in the 1930s, still looks good

the cheap laminate doesn't hold up, the expensive stuff still looks cheap
wood floor is wood floor, faux wood laminate floor looks like laminate floor
prefinished solid wood floor is easy to install and looks a lot better than 30 yrs ago

the wife and i are looking to move out of snow country (9" snow last night)
looking at homes for sale, one look at a picture with laminate floors is enough to turn me off the perfect home

NoThankyou's comment on stain... also my thoughts exactly
haven't stained any wood since i was 20 yrs old, unless it was to match existing
you want walnut stain? buy walnut wood
post #16 of 25 Old 11-12-2019, 04:42 PM

View phaelax's Photo Album My Photos
I'd just hang on to it, stick it in storage for when you need to fix the floor. Laminate flooring isn't a matter of IF it gets damaged or worn, but when. Last year I did tile throughout my dining room. It was a stone-based tile with an outdoor rating so it should last a lifetime. But just in case, I bought an extra box despite the high cost. Considering it just got marked as discontinued and I had to wait 3 months to get it from a boat in italy, it's unlikely I'd be able to find a matching replacement in the future if I ever needed it.

Quote:
I see laminate in many houses I go into and it looks great
That's because it's cheap, and easy to install. Might look great, but that doesn't mean it'll last.

The only time I've used laminate flooring was in a house I was renting. Bathroom had old crappy linoleum with rips in it and I found some flooring for dirt cheap at the bargain outlet. Replaced the bathroom floor for $20 and looks great. Landlord won't care cause it was an improvement. Looked fine after 2 years, but I guarantee it won't last especially in a bathroom. I could get away with doing just about anything to that house, except for the brick fire pit I made. Apparently my lease contract says I can't have a fire pit. Threw some dirt in it and called it a flower bed!
post #17 of 25 Old 11-13-2019, 08:20 AM
Mark Jones Ozark

Hi end or low end your right it will need to be replaced at some time. It's just a matter of when. Some things are more resliant to sun and damage but at some point it will come up and it will be replaced. Yet in that span of time one can often fix the spot that juniors friend tore up while visiting one weekend and no one will know you cut that out and replaced it because you had the foresight to buy a bit more and have it handy for boys that come visiting. …. more than once I might add.

I fix Telephone lines. Yesterday While fixing a overhead line that feeds a neighborhood the steel strand inside a rubber jacket had been hit by lightning and then water set in and while we were up there cuting out the rotten copper wires that is strand was supporting as we cut the last 10 or so copper wires the whole thing dropped 20 feet to the ground. We used a 10' piece of strand to splice into that and winch it back up. Can't tell that happened from the ground looking up 20 feet but the only other choice would have been to replace 300' of it and a days work. It's mighty handy to have some stuff that matches to make repairs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelax View Post
I'd just hang on to it, stick it in storage for when you need to fix the floor. Laminate flooring isn't a m we matter of IF it gets damaged or worn, but when. Last year I did tile throughout my dining room. It was a stone-based tile with an outdoor rating so it should last a lifetime. But just in case, I bought an extra box despite the high cost. Considering it just got marked as discontinued and I had to wait 3 months to get it from a boat in italy, it's unlikely I'd be able to find a matching replacement in the future if I ever needed it.

That's because it's cheap, and easy to install. Might look great, but that doesn't mean it'll last.

The only time I've used laminate flooring was in a house I was renting. Bathroom had old crappy linoleum with rips in it and I found some flooring for dirt cheap at the bargain outlet. Replaced the bathroom floor for $20 and looks great. Landlord won't care cause it was an improvement. Looked fine after 2 years, but I guarantee it won't last especially in a bathroom. I could get away with doing just about anything to that house, except for the brick fire pit I made. Apparently my lease contract says I can't have a fire pit. Threw some dirt in it and called it a flower bed!
post #18 of 25 Old 11-14-2019, 10:41 PM

View jeremymcon's Photo Album My Photos
Return it? If you bought it at a big box store you can just return what you didn't use. That's what I did. Kept a box for repairs.
FrankC likes this.

Last edited by jeremymcon; 11-14-2019 at 11:10 PM.
post #19 of 25 Old 11-14-2019, 11:51 PM

View bob493's Photo Album My Photos
I love laminate flooring for duty bench tops and desk tops. Flat enough to be useful, durable enough to stand up to general uses. As others have mentioned keep a box for repairs, but the other 5 either use for a nice coffee table top, desk top, or resell on craigslist imo
post #20 of 25 Old 11-15-2019, 10:39 AM

View flybykat's Photo Album My Photos
I used some for shelving spray paint cans on the wall. You would need to put supports every couple of feet to hold the weight. With about 10 strips, I was able to store about 80 cans. (Lay cans on sides if your flooring strips are wide enough.) It also holds the small Minwax stain cans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode