ideas for folding legs for a cutting board - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 08-03-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

View scrandall's Photo Album My Photos
ideas for folding legs for a cutting board

A very tall friend gets back pains when she is preparing food - the bend to a normal 36" countertop is too much for her. She now has a 18x24x1.5" hard maple cutting board mounted on a very sturdy hardwood table that gives her 13" of extra height (if anyone needs to know how to calculate proper countertop height, I have the information). This has worked wonderfully for her - enough that she is now looking for something portable to attend cooking school.

It will probably have a smaller cutting surface - 15x20 inch or smaller, but still needs the 13" height. The big constraints are that it needs to be very solid and needs to have the legs fold or come off easily and without tools. They should be able to do this for many cycles.

Any ideas on the best technique? I've seen some folding leg assemblies, but they don't seem quite rigid enough.

thanks for any ideas!!

here is a video of her current board:

and the better outtakes:-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-07-2010, 07:56 PM

View BigD's Photo Album My Photos
I see two possibilities:

First, you could get some of those plate type adaptors made for furniture for adding legs. They have threaded holes (one that is perpendicular and one that is splayed at an angle (both directions). You could turn the legs to what ever shape suits her. The legs could be removed for transport.

If she does not want to screw the plates to the bottom of the cutting board, make a sub plate to attach them to. This sub plate would be just a little larger in length and width than the cutting board and have a lip around the outside so the cutting board sits down inside of the lip.

Here is a web site showing these plates.

http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com...Leg-s/1678.htm

They have the large ones with the straight and angled holes both in one plate and they also have smaller plates in the straight version and the angled version. The smaller size would probably work better for this application.

While this is not folding legs that you asked for, it would be very sturdy and the legs can easily be unscrewed (by hand, no tools req'd).

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Last edited by BigD; 08-07-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added source for leg plates
The Following User Says Thank You to BigD For This Useful Post:
scrandall (04-22-2011)
post #3 of 7 Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Just how tall is this friend?

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Old Dog Learning Tricks

View Warnock's Photo Album My Photos
Can't help on your request, but I really had some good laughs watching the second video. Your friend has a fine sense of humor.

Thanks for posting them.

Never Stop Learning - You Stop Living.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-22-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

the suggestion worked

I want to thank Big D for the suggestion to just go to legs that screw in - it turned out to be a much easier solution. It turned out the cooking school doesn't allow wood boards - just stainless and plastic cutting surfaces. Looking at safety tests in universities it is clear that a close grained hardwood is superior to a plastic cutting board. So this is for the traveling chef work she does.

The legs stow on the bottom along with a knife and gadget box and there is a handle. A neat thing for the taller cooks out there - although few require one this high.

She is about 6'7, but rounds down to 6'6. Men round up, women round down - go figure.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 PM

View rsetina's Photo Album My Photos
Great idea. My wife isn't 6'6" but a most 6' tall. I'm 6'4" and we'd both benefit on a taller cutting surface. Watching the out takes, I wouldn't want her flinging a knife at me like that. LOL. Just kidding. She seems like a very nice woman.

Rick

-----------------------------------------------------

I love to fly fish and work with wood.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-23-2011, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsetina View Post
Great idea. My wife isn't 6'6" but a most 6' tall. I'm 6'4" and we'd both benefit on a taller cutting surface. Watching the out takes, I wouldn't want her flinging a knife at me like that. LOL. Just kidding. She seems like a very nice woman.
I'm about 6' and have one that is (much) shorter than hers - just a simple table with a thick hard maple cutting board as the top surface. That and her original were made by a cutting board company as it was cheaper (big/thick cutting boards are spendy). The lighter traveling board was homemade.

Anyway my board *really* helps. The back pain I would get in the kitchen after about 20 minutes just doesn't happen. It is a great thing as my wife is 5'5 and it doesn't make sense raising the countertop as she cooks a lot too.

It turns out 36" counters are the right height if you are 5'4 to 5'5, so at 6' your position is already compromised a lot. It turns out studies have been done trying to find the right working surface position for almost anything you can imagine. We looked up the studies done for standing food preparation and found the recommendations very similar. She has a little blog and the formula is noted if you want to measure yourself and make your own. Basically anyone over about 5'8 could use some elevation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode