Ideas for Bulk Bird Seed Dispenser (Not a Feeder) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 07-21-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Ideas for Bulk Bird Seed Dispenser (Not a Feeder)

I saw a video that April Wilkerson did on a dog food bulk dispenser project. So looked around for something similar for bulk bird seed to get some ideas. I didn't find any... :( I found tons of bird seed feeders, but nothing to hold a 40 lb bag of seeds.

I think the biggest problem would be a chute to contain / cut off the flow of the bird seed as they are small and will fit thru openings real easy. I don't want to spill any so as to not attract rodents where the seeds are kept. Currently I use a wooden box I made with a lid but I'd like something easier to use. I could then turn the box into a seat/storage box for the porch.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-21-2016, 07:47 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
When I was in the Feed & Seed business I used and sold metal trash cans for storage of all types of feed. This included wild bird feed which I sold by the pound or by the bag. I guess plastic cans would work, but I prefer metal.

The size can needed depends upon how much you want to keep on hand.

George
post #3 of 11 Old 07-21-2016, 09:37 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Bird seed is not water. If the bag is put into a "hopper" with a loose fitting base, it will only pour until it meets resistance.
This allows you to put a door in a tray, and the feed will come out at a fairly slow pace.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-22-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
When I was in the Feed & Seed business I used and sold metal trash cans for storage of all types of feed. This included wild bird feed which I sold by the pound or by the bag. I guess plastic cans would work, but I prefer metal.

The size can needed depends upon how much you want to keep on hand.

George
I use to keep the seed in a plastic bin, but the squirrels chewed thru it. They have left the wood box alone, thankfully. Years ago I bought two of those mini metal trash cans, but they are kind of a hassle for me to open every couple of days to get seed out. So that why I'm getting ideas for an easy-to-use dispenser.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-22-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
Bird seed is not water. If the bag is put into a "hopper" with a loose fitting base, it will only pour until it meets resistance.
This allows you to put a door in a tray, and the feed will come out at a fairly slow pace.
I guess I could try something like that. I'm just worried about 'crumbs' getting scattered about and attracting unwanted critters.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-22-2016, 01:55 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
You could make something similar to this...

http://cdn1.tmbi.com/TFH/Step-By-Ste..._3GSPRJ_03.jpg
post #7 of 11 Old 07-22-2016, 06:04 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Most of our grocery stores have some sort of bulk foods section. What I've noticed is that the very same design of dispensing bin seems to work well with everything.
Big or little, any shape from quinoa to mixed nuts. The design of the door in the chute would be the key factor.
Rarely see grocery store staff cleaning up spills and rarely see spills so the doors must be quite reliable.
I don't see the bin above it as being important, one way or another. Make as big as needed.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-23-2016, 01:28 AM
It was the tool

View Wyo7200's Photo Album My Photos
I made one like that for holding and dispensing pistol caliber brass for reloading. It was big and held a lot of brass, but never used it like I thought I would. It dispensed well, using a simple sliding blast gate design.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-23-2016, 10:55 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
rodents and bird seed is a problematic mix. you don't have to spill any, the smell will draw them in.

used to keep my bulk in the garage; mice galore. they chewed thru the (original packaging) plastic bags, a fiber drum, chewed a 'notch' out of the top of a plastic tote to get in. then they fall in, can't get out, cats go nuts, interesting surprises when you open the lid... my bet is rodents will chew thru anything wood. I tried patching the fiber drum with aluminum flashing. the mice found it easier/faster? to chew thru the flashing than make a new hole in the fiber drum.

I use a metal can, sealed up the vent hole with caulk to keep any water out. it's a veddy old one - with a wire bail handle to keep it secure - heavy duty. they don't make 'em like that anymore. I keep it outside on the deck which deters mice - but the squirrels & chipmunks still try to chew thru the metal - on a daily basis.

we had an ice storm. squirrels may not get a good grip on flat sheet metal, but ice? no problemo.....
Attached Images

post #10 of 11 Old 07-30-2016, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas. I won't be able to get to the project for a while, so I'll have time to look at the bulk food section in some grocery stores. And there's a 'feed' store not too far away so I'll see what they have.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-02-2016, 10:35 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
We use a round, metal, foot operated trash can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode