I think I'm a scrap hoarder and need help LOL - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 27Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 11-21-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
I think I'm a scrap hoarder and need help LOL

For some reason, I can't seem to throw out scraps of wood from my projects.

Big scraps, small scraps, tiny scraps and the newest saving is the shaving from a 1x3 - I'm thinking I can use it as veneer?

The real problem is I actually use some of the scraps as time goes by - for example, I'm now making a french cleat system in my shop and getting rid of the pegboard because I'm tired of the hooks falling out when I take a tool!

So I'm turning my scraps into the hangers for the cleat system.

Some of the uses I've found for the scraps include: risers with screws for finishing, triangles for clamping, dowel pieces for pegboard trays etc.

I now have large buckets of scrap that I've organized according to size (not type) 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 1/2" ply, 3/4" ply etc.

Am I alone in this endless cycle?

Perhaps an intervention is in order?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-21-2017, 07:07 PM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
Through the years you'll learn what to keep, what not to keep, and how much to keep. Starting up I went through a similar swing where I kept everything and hoarded. I got to a point where I had so much that I forgot about half of what I had and ended up going out and buying new rather than sort through the mounds of off cuts. After that I organized what was actually useful and got rid of the rest. Now I keep a bit of scrap on hand but the rest is for the fire pit.
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-21-2017, 07:15 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You paid good money for that wood. If it's usable I keep it too. I have bins under my radial arm saw I keep scraps. Sometimes a bin will get pretty full but I've never completely filled one. The wood is constantly being used.
new2woodwrk and Jim Frye like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Scrap hoarding is especially difficult when you have a small shop. It's true you never know when you'll find use for something. 17 years ago, I made a mirror frame to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. I made the thing from some tiger maple and had a 10' long strip left over. The piece was 3/4"x 2" and it lay in the wood rack all that time. I even moved it to the new shop when we built a new home. In February, I used that strip for a piece of decorative frieze molding on the new entertainment center I built for the new house. I felt really good that I had saved the piece for good use. It is really difficult to cull the scraps and toss them. Today, I carried out two buckets of cutoffs and dumped them.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...r-solid-maple/

new2woodwrk likes this.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #5 of 27 Old 11-21-2017, 08:28 PM

View nywoodwizard's Photo Album My Photos
I think we all need a little woodworkers anonymous once in a while. I found I was eating up so much valuable space, it just didn't make since to keep too much.
new2woodwrk likes this.

"You must become one with the wood grass hopper"
post #6 of 27 Old 11-21-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks all, glad I'm not alone in this vicious cycle.

I did manage to throw a few scraps in the trash today - some edges too thin to become veneer LOL
post #7 of 27 Old 11-21-2017, 09:14 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
My workshop is in the basement, and it's 11' x 17' so I've learned not to hoard wood. It still accumulates, so I'll have a nice fire and beer with the neighbors!
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 11-21-2017, 09:46 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
If it's real wood I NEVER throw it out. If I have space for it I'll always keep it and wait for a project to come up. If no space exists or it's too small to really use then as much as it might kills me to do it some some of the exotics it'll be firewood. I use most of my hoardings though so it's not too bad.
new2woodwrk likes this.

It's not bad to dream. But you also have to consider what's realistic. -All Might (Boku no Hero Academia)
post #9 of 27 Old 11-21-2017, 10:00 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Keep or no keep. I make my judgement based on length. Anything less than 12” long gets tossed into the trash can. Although I keep one box of shorts just for clamping protection.
new2woodwrk likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #10 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 05:30 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Hah, I've found myself hesitating to use a nice scrap and then having to remind myself that that is why I kept it in the first place! When we retired and moved to Virginia, I did throw them all away to save money on the move. Was it a real savings, probably not, but it was consistent with all the other paring down we were doing.
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #11 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 07:31 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2woodwrk View Post
For some reason, I can't seem to throw out scraps of wood from my projects.

Big scraps, small scraps, tiny scraps and the newest saving is the shaving from a 1x3 - I'm thinking I can use it as veneer?

The real problem is I actually use some of the scraps as time goes by - for example, I'm now making a french cleat system in my shop and getting rid of the pegboard because I'm tired of the hooks falling out when I take a tool!

So I'm turning my scraps into the hangers for the cleat system.

Some of the uses I've found for the scraps include: risers with screws for finishing, triangles for clamping, dowel pieces for pegboard trays etc.

I now have large buckets of scrap that I've organized according to size (not type) 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 1/2" ply, 3/4" ply etc.

Am I alone in this endless cycle?

Perhaps an intervention is in order?
If you think you are a hoarder then you probably are. Does it matter? No, not unless it is costing you money or taking up valuable space you need for something else.

George
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #12 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 08:33 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have scraps. I just have smaller and smaller projects.

Here's an example that many would have called 'scrap' pieces of wood, but I don't consider Padauk, Zebrawood, Cocobolo, and Myrtle Burl to be scrap regardless of the size.

An hour on the scrollsaw -
Name:  Hammer, Bebo scrollwork.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  55.0 KB

I rarely have Pine or plywood in the shop but if I get a piece that is an inch wide and 10" long, for example, then it goes in the trash. But if that same piece is Walnut, Maple, or Cherry, etc. then it stays.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #13 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 08:59 AM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
too some folks, pen banks are scrap. I came into possession of some rough sawn Cuban mahogany years ago and try to use every little sliver. Some wood, I hang on to, just because it has some sentimental or historical value. I have lots of free wood available for turning and I don't do much other woodworking. So some wood is sent to the kindling box.
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #14 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 11:13 AM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Had a thought last night (rare for me) about the scrap/cutoff stuff in my shop. I remembered that I use a lot of them as secondary wood in projects. I made a cherry shaker side table and used red oak and maple for the secondary parts. For the mirror molding above, I glued oak to the 3/4" tiger maple prior to shaping the moldings. I know most folks use poplar or similar woods for secondary uses, but why buy wood when you have usable stuff on hand. My Granddaughter needed a set of bed steps when she was much younger, and the scraps provided everything. Ive even glued up strips of wood to make a 6" wide board for a fancy shelf.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...-oak-bed-step/
new2woodwrk likes this.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #15 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 11:14 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
Scrap hoarding is especially difficult when you have a small shop. It's true you never know when you'll find use for something. 17 years ago, I made a mirror frame to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. I made the thing from some tiger maple and had a 10' long strip left over. The piece was 3/4"x 2" and it lay in the wood rack all that time. I even moved it to the new shop when we built a new home. In February, I used that strip for a piece of decorative frieze molding on the new entertainment center I built for the new house. I felt really good that I had saved the piece for good use. It is really difficult to cull the scraps and toss them. Today, I carried out two buckets of cutoffs and dumped them.

Jim the size of the shop really doesn't matter to a true hoarder LOL

After I finished the kitchen I had a huge pile of off cuts, the kids and I went through them, I did pitch some larger pieces then I wanted but the save pile was growing way too fast and the pitch pile was growing to slow,so I start pitching bigger chunks. I too have very little SPF in the shop, this pile was almost all cherry, and we love cherry for smoking meat,it is soooo good,so it wasn't actually wasted
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #16 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Splinters

View Pauley's Photo Album My Photos
I have a small 15 X 15 shop. My friends all said they would take any scraps I want to get rid of for their wood stoves and fire pits. They came to take it once. I even tried to leave a small barrel full of scraps for free....no takers. The company that takes my trash really doesn’t want to take it. So I have the problem of what to do with it....
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #17 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 12:41 PM

View desertsp's Photo Album My Photos
Me too. This is my smaller pile.

I really need to make a scrap bin...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5423.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	325530  

new2woodwrk likes this.
post #18 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 01:28 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I am a novice just starting out. I have been using the scrap for test cuts and practice. What I would like to know is:

-> How do people organize their scrap in a way that makes selection and retrieval easy?
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #19 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 02:44 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I am a novice just starting out. I have been using the scrap for test cuts and practice. What I would like to know is:

-> How do people organize their scrap in a way that makes selection and retrieval easy?
This is what I did -
Name:  052 - Almost finished.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  94.7 KB

Here's a short video of making that, not that you'd need to see it, but you can see all the real scraps that are no longer here -

David
new2woodwrk likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #20 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 05:30 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
a guitar builder's scraps .....

You have much nicer scraps than a normal everyday woodworker., exotic woods like Rosewood and Bubinga etc. There is more motivation to save those than run of the mill Oak or Maple. I have two systems for storing long narrow scraps, one is a 5 gal bucket, the other is various height cardboard boxes. The boxes maybe 10" X 12" or so, will hold quite a few and wont tip over too easily. Being square rather than round like the buckets, they can be compressed into a smaller footprint. These work for scraps up to around 5 ft long and as short as 16". Storing them vertically and longer ones in the rear makes for quick glance of the entire inventory.
difalkner and new2woodwrk like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode