I [probably] broke my router - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

View Sgt BOMBULOUS's Photo Album My Photos
I [probably] broke my router

Hello! I have a Freud router, model Freud FT1702 (I think) with the fixed base only. Last night I had it placed temporarily on a shelf, I thought it was there securely, and... Well, it fell. The plastic base got cracked, which would probably be a cheap repair. BUT... there seems to be something grievously wrong with the motor as well. When I start it, it's a bit louder than usual, and it emits a bit of a smell. I was thinking MAYBE the brush assembly got partially dislodged or something and maybe that's the issue. Is there any hope?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 05:41 PM

View sancho's Photo Album My Photos
You should have it looked at.

Dont ever mess with tools that arent operating correctly.

Thats the easiest way to get injured or lose a body part.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 06:15 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I doubt if it can be repaired ....

Since it is not longer in production AFAICT. I own 3 of them and they are a great router. Before tossing it into into the dumpster, I would remove the base, spin the arbor to make certain it spins freely and then plug it in for a few seconds, then a few minutes. If the smell goes away it may have just been dust that got shaken loose and is getting burned off.

It should sound as close to what you remember as before. See if the variable speed functions. If all seems well then you might want to take it to a tool repair facilty for a "check up". That may seem redundant but getting a pro to look at it won't hurt AND if there is nothing wrong , there will likely no charge.

The base can possibly be replaced with a universal plate from Rockler, Amazon or other source.
That's what I would do, but then I keep mine stored in the drawers....... where they can't fall. I can always knock mine off the bench to see if they still work.....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-26-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 07:30 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I'm surprised it hurt it just falling off the shelf. Mine sailed across the shop three times before it got that bad. It might be the body of it is just a little twisted. You might just loosen the screws that hold it together and wiggle it around until it loosens up and then tighten it back.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-27-2014, 01:54 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I'm surprised it hurt it just falling off the shelf. Mine sailed across the shop three times before it got that bad. It might be the body of it is just a little twisted. You might just loosen the screws that hold it together and wiggle it around until it loosens up and then tighten it back.
That sounds like a hell of a story!

On topic, it could be that one of the brushes cracked and is rubbing funny. I'd pop those out and check, shorty before disassembling the tool and making sure nothing is obviously broken.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 8 Old 11-27-2014, 07:29 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
That sounds like a hell of a story!

On topic, it could be that one of the brushes cracked and is rubbing funny. I'd pop those out and check, shorty before disassembling the tool and making sure nothing is obviously broken.
I had a bosch router that the base wouldn't stay locked to the router. I think the router body was just undersized. It kept ruining work I was doing. The first time it ruined something important I threw it across the shop and it broke the base. I then bought a new base for it and the new base did the same thing so it had two more repeat trips. I then replaced it with a HF router and have had no more problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (11-27-2014)
post #7 of 8 Old 11-27-2014, 11:51 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
I would suggest contacting someone from here:
http://www.freudtools.com/index.php/contact

Even though the 1700 series is no longer in production, they did come with 5 year warranties so parts and service should still be available. Obviously dropping the thing likely won't fall under warranty but you should be able to get an idea of what it will take to fix it.
I have two 1700's and a 3000 and have had good service from their support staff.
Good Luck.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #8 of 8 Old 11-27-2014, 01:15 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Look at it this way - Black Friday is tomorrow! :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
2004oldfxd (12-04-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode