I need some help getting this shop presentable. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 14Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

View jtpryan's Photo Album My Photos
Question I need some help getting this shop presentable.

I’m starting to get really frustrated with how out of control my shop is. I know I’m not the first to experience this, but in about a year I’ll be retiring and really want to enjoy my time out there. This is a repurposed 2020 garage. There is no room outside for sheds, external dust collection, etc. So 400 Sq Ft is it. I have a table saw, jointer, planer, band saw, mini-lathe, miter saw, floor standing drill press for major tools. Anyway, I’ve taken some pictures of it as it is today, at it’s worst. I can, and will, clean up the obvious stuff, but in a day it’s right back to where it was. My first thought is I need to build more cabinets with drawers so I don’t just put things on surfaces. Anyway, if you haven’t eaten recently and can stand it take a look at the situation and give my your thoughts. Here are some pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9SsZ5Aaipgvhuqxm7

Verbal abuse for being this sloppy is accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 04:30 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
welcome to the forum !
what part of the world do you live in ?

it's a wonder nobody has reported you to the Fire Marshal yet.
seriously, you really need to get a grip on the situation before
you either hurt yourself seriously or loose the whole thing to a fire.

hire someone - a professional - that deals with that kind of dis-organization.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 05:20 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! Add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you and it will show in each post. Add your location to your profile, as well.

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready. What sort of woodworking are you planning or doing, after you clean your shop, of course?

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 05:21 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
You don't need more cabinets, you need to get rid of some of that stuff. Your a hoarder of stuff you don need.

I don't have room but do I need 20+ routers? No... I'm my own problem....
post #5 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 06:01 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Well, I see the rhyme or reason to it but you just have too much stuff for the small space. Where are your cabinets going to go? What particular stuff that isn't already on shelves will end up in your new cabinets?

Anyway, pull out the lathe and build 24" cabinets from the floor to the ceiling with drawers on the bottom and cabinets all the way up without any bench space. Do the same thing on the wall next to the garage door. No counter space.

BTW, I like that you have some Stanley organizers sitting on the floor unused.

Anyway, my shop is in a similar situation. Too much stuff in too small a space.

Good luck
post #6 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 06:05 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
You see the problem, now do something about it. No one else can tell you what to do or inject any ambition into you to make you do it. It is entirely up to you.

George
post #7 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 06:43 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
How do you eat an elephant?
One bite at a time.
post #8 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 07:15 PM

Here's my shop presently
It will he no work in here till.next month so it looks like a landslide until I get back in there. Summer work outside, cabinet work winter

Your would be easy compared to mine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_180938_1593990867176.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	391969  

Name:	20200705_180931_1593990878717.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	391971  

Name:	20200705_180925_1593990887212.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	391973  

Name:	20200705_180914_1593990895847.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	391975  

post #9 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 09:29 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I hate to admit it, but at times, my shop isn't too much better. When it get bad, I try to not build anything until I get it cleaned up. Then I commit to going into the shop twice a day and putting 5 things away. Sometime putting things away means throwing things away.
post #10 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 09:32 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
Here's my shop presently
It will he no work in here till.next month so it looks like a landslide until I get back in there. Summer work outside, cabinet work winter

Your would be easy compared to mine...

Yeah, and addition to being crowded, everything is on it's side!
difalkner and gaftech like this.
post #11 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 09:40 PM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
Sometimes available shop space will limit what you can do. Trying to cram too many tools into a small space generally will have a negative impact on your productivity. Sell off what you rarely use and avoid "unitasker" machines if possible. Build jigs to expand the capabilities of your tablesaw, router, etc. so they can replace those unitasker machines and open up some floor/bench/shelf space.

If you look at a tool and can't remember the last time you used it or haven't used it in over a year...it can go. If you look at your material pile and see pieces that you don't remember how old they are or where you got them from...they can go. It's a fine line between collecting materials for upcoming projects and hording stuff in hopes that it'll get used for something someday.
Nick2727 likes this.
post #12 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 10:26 PM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
I need some help getting this shop presentable.

You definitely need to get rid of some stuff.

I would also look into a multi function work station.

This one is temporary for me till I have time to make something more permanent (in the middle of remodeling a house), but you should get the idea of what I mean.

The table on the left is my temporary multi function table. Its nothing more then a shelving unit I added a top to, but its multi functions are the mitre saw, drill press, bench vise, out-feed for the bandsaw. There is also a shelf below the table for storage.

Eventually I will purpose build a table and most likely build the band saw, mitre saw, drill press, and jointer right into it. Then just roll it all around as a single unit.

An overhead rack or above the roll up door storage may help aswell.

I currently have a lot of use for random off cuts, as well as new materials for all trades.

So I made an overhead rack to get stuff off the floor.

Then I needed to stow all the sheet goods and cut offs.

So I made a lumber cart, which I plan to downsize when necessity allows.

This cart is also in the first picture, at the far right next to the table saw work table.

Which I also find to be an excellent use of space, as its loaded with drawers where I keep nearly all my corded and cordless tools powered hand tools, bits, blades, hardware, table saw jigs, throat plates, vacuum, track saw track, and also stores my 12 planer.

This was shortly after I built it, but it shows the drawers, and the sorts of things you could do.

If you do end up making drawers or cabinets, do yourself a favor and use that stack of lumber you already have as much as possible. The drawers in the table saw table I made largely from cabinets I removed from the house Im remodeling. (There are drawers on the other side of the table also) but those are shorter and wider.

Also, if you make cabinets, personally I find having no doors is easier to keep things organized. And at a glance know where something is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
difalkner and lnp142 like this.

Dave H

Last edited by furnacefighter15; 07-05-2020 at 10:33 PM.
post #13 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 10:48 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
small parts storage tips ....

First off go vertical. Inside large plastic tubs I use cans of the same height, dog food, soup, juice etc. that I put my nuts, bolts, screws, nails, and fasteners in then stack the tubes on top of the cans. It's easier than making cabinets with drawers for a start.
Here's some of the items I store this way:
I'll use anything that's free. but, I don't like glass, it breaks, I like things with lids so things won't spillout. Square is better than round because it uses space more efficiently. I like a top view with everything showing at once. I can stack the bins to save floor space. Eventually I'll make a sliding shelf cabinet for the bins. It'll weigh a ton, and be on casters. I'll use 3/4" ply for everything sides back shelves and some HD slides. someday......

Attached Thumbnails

You used to be able to buy these great heavy duty beer cases for $.50 per, but alas, no longer. Great for spray paint cans and other larger items:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-05-2020 at 10:52 PM.
post #14 of 41 Old 07-05-2020, 11:08 PM

I also highly recommend retractable extension cord reels and air line reels.

I have 3 extension cord reels strategically located.

I also put my dust collector up on a shelf, and made a custom separator to fit between the garage doors. This was after I first built it.

The one garage door is tarped off cause thats currently where my tile saw is set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
difalkner likes this.

Dave H
post #15 of 41 Old 07-06-2020, 08:46 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
Have you ever seen Richard Rawlins on a discovery show called "garage rehab"?
He goes to one man band auto shops that are just about to go under and revitalises them.
They always look MUCH worse than your place.

When he finally gets the die hard to agree he needs help, he gives a quick ultimatum. Get whatever you want out of this garage by morning, the skips are arriving. The people never believe him, his team are there throwing away 40 year old junk that "might come in handy one day" and the guy is crying on the tarmac and sometimes even fighting.

2 weeks later there is this fantastic showroom work area and the guy is now so busy he doesnt have time to bank the takings.

You need the dumpster threat. order one, and only give yourself 1 hour before it arrives to get out what you want to keep.

SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects
post #16 of 41 Old 07-06-2020, 09:07 AM

View RParker's Photo Album My Photos
One thing to consider is whether you can get rid of some of the parger power tools in favor of hand tools. For example, i just sold my powered jointer. Yes, it was a nice and quick tool to put on a straight edge. But that's all it did. I can do the same job with a couple of good hand planes (which are more fun, to me). Short stuff (say, under 4 feet) that is already relatively straight get the hand planes. Longer stuff and stuff with gnarly edges go to the table saw first anyway.

Same with my scroll saw. Didn't use it for years, so it got sold. So, see what big power tools you truly need and which are merely nice to have. Sell the latter and replace with smaller hand tools or jigs for the power tools you keep.

I just recently reorganized and cleaned my shop, too. I have NEVER been accused of being terribly clean, but I have begun to force myself to put my main top back on their hooks as soon as I'm done and to spend the last 5 minutes of shop time cleaning up my mess before switching off the light. Vacuum up shavings and put away tools. It had made my time such more enjoyable, because I'm no longer spending half my time trying to find "that chisel that was just right here."

Something else you might consider is identify your primary work station/bench. I put EVERYTHING that I use most within reach (so, hammers, chisels, hand saws, measuring and marking, etc.) and then work outward from there based on either size of the tool (accounting for floor space) or frequency of use.

Put all your big, heavy tools on roller stands and store them out of the way. Your band saw, planer, lathe, and miter saw can all go on roller stands (with lockable wheels) to be rolled out as-needed (the miter saw would probablybe best served by a collapsible stand specifically for miter saws). You'll get a lot of work-surface back if the bench top stuff isn't actually on the bench when not using it. If you have power tool cases that are not used, stick them in a crawl space or attic.

And don't worry. I've seen SO MUCH WORSE.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
TommyBoyWA likes this.

Last edited by RParker; 07-06-2020 at 09:23 AM.
post #17 of 41 Old 07-06-2020, 12:37 PM

I'm gonna try and have a yard sale here and put a bunch of routers up for sale. They have sold a nice Powermatic and a grizzly full size mortiser here in the last few weeks and a several of those router would have bought either one.

Needed all that stuff as a full time cabinet maker. But as a hobby woodworker it's just a waste of space as I can't use all these multiple tools anymore..

$700...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00a0a_9jGEvYJN7dV_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	392001  

Last edited by Rebelwork; 07-06-2020 at 12:40 PM.
post #18 of 41 Old 07-06-2020, 01:25 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos

you got good bones but do you really need all that STUFF?

i count 2 bandsaws, 3 grinder/buffers, 4 brooms and 2 dust pans which obviously never get used
all floor space is drowning in stuff, cords plugged into plug strips, plugged into plug strips
every flat surface is packed to the gills, in all honesty, i'd start there
i think you might have a little hoarder in you, if you have to move stuff off the dining room table to eat... you definitely have a hoarder problem

we all get to where our shop is a mess with flat surfaces covered in 'stuff'
but i can clean my stuff within an hour

you need a yard sale and dumpster
post #19 of 41 Old 07-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
I'm gonna try and have a yard sale here and put a bunch of routers up for sale. They have sold a nice Powermatic and a grizzly full size mortiser here in the last few weeks and a several of those router would have bought either one.

Needed all that stuff as a full time cabinet maker. But as a hobby woodworker it's just a waste of space as I can't use all these multiple tools anymore..

$700...
If your serious about selling some routers, Id be interested in one that has an integrated lift feature for a reasonable price of course.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
post #20 of 41 Old 07-06-2020, 03:42 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Presentable to who? Or is it whom? ;-)

Whichever, cleaning up a shop is a worth while venture simply from the standpoint of finding tools you think you lost.
RParker likes this.

Robert

Tags
shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode