I Need a Self Tightening Knot... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 05-06-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
I Need a Self Tightening Knot...

Hi All,

I need a self tightening knot. I often have a need to tie up loose items to help reduce the size and increase handling and portability.

Things piles of twigs and branches; used plastic bags from things like mulch, top soil, potting soil; plastic drop 'cloths,' and the like.

I thought the 'butchers knot' would do the trick, but it doesn't. But that's the kind of knot I need: wrap the string/cord around the pile of stuff, put it thru some kind of loop, then simply pull to tighten without relaxing.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-06-2016, 07:51 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
A bowline as a loop, run your line through that and a few half hitches to secure it.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 PM

View RJH30518's Photo Album My Photos
Try the Fastcap bow tie:

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/vie...dproduct=56513

Watch the video, I sounds like it will be what you are looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-06-2016, 09:26 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexar...matedknots.com

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-06-2016, 09:36 PM

View TerryQ's Photo Album My Photos
Tie a bowline at one end, wrap you line around the bundle. Make a figure 8 loop near where the line comes around your bundle, run the end through the bowline, back to the figure 8 loop and pull back toward the bowline. It gives you a 3-1 mechanical advantage allowing you to tighten the bundle much tighter than you could otherwise, and all it takes to hold it is a slip knot that you just pull on to loosen your bundle. All knots are easily untied even after being under tremendous pressure so it can be repeated as often as necessary on any size bundle as long as the line is long enough.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-06-2016, 09:49 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
A bowline as a loop, run your line through that and a few half hitches to secure it.
Agree. That is how I do it.

There is no such thing as a "self tightening know."

George
WesTex and sawdust703 like this.
post #7 of 25 Old 05-07-2016, 02:25 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
So a knot meant for carrying bundles of timber that tightens up more when force is applied.. Isn't that just a timber hitch?

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #8 of 25 Old 05-07-2016, 08:10 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryQ View Post
Tie a bowline at one end, wrap you line around the bundle. Make a figure 8 loop near where the line comes around your bundle, run the end through the bowline, back to the figure 8 loop and pull back toward the bowline. It gives you a 3-1 mechanical advantage allowing you to tighten the bundle much tighter than you could otherwise, and all it takes to hold it is a slip knot that you just pull on to loosen your bundle. All knots are easily untied even after being under tremendous pressure so it can be repeated as often as necessary on any size bundle as long as the line is long enough.
Is this a.k.a. a truckers hitch?
sawdust703 likes this.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-07-2016, 12:32 PM

View TerryQ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gj13us
Is this a.k.a. a truckers hitch?
I didn't know what a truckers hitch was so I had to look it up, but yes, it is a truckers hitch. I learned it because when I was in my early 20's I went canoeing with some guys and between 6 of us, no one could tie the canoes on tight enough. I decided that would never happen again and learned how to tie some useful knots. This truckers hitch is one of the most useful and just knowing the principal of mechanical advantage will get you through life.

Just last week I was watching a reality show where some guys wanted to tighten a cable so they could send logs down it. They had a bunch of pulleys, but instead of hooking them up so they could get a three-to-one or five-to-one mechanical advantage (or whatever it is, you can do the math) to tighten the cable, they instead used all the pulleys in a zigzag fashion just so they had room to pull the cable using a 4-wheeler, complaining it was too muddy to get good enough traction to tighten the cable.
WesTex likes this.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-08-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
Thanks for the idea but I haven't had much luck with that. Sometimes the stuff is so springy that it all loosens up before I can lock it down. I'm really looking for something where I can just pull the loose end and the 'knot' stays tight on its own.
post #11 of 25 Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH30518 View Post
Try the Fastcap bow tie:

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/vie...dproduct=56513

Watch the video, I sounds like it will be what you are looking for.
That's a pretty cool little gadget. I watched a couple of videos on it. It sure seems like something handy to have around the shop. Sorry I wasn't more clear but the string/cord will not be saved. It's going with what ever is wrapped up into the trash, recycle, bin, and so on. Heck, with branches and the like, it might even get cut up when I chainsaw the wrapped branches into smaller pieces.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-08-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Very nice knot site :) I'll have to go thru it again.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-08-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryQ View Post
Pretty interesting... I'm going to give that a try for sure :)
post #14 of 25 Old 05-08-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
So a knot meant for carrying bundles of timber that tightens up more when force is applied.. Isn't that just a timber hitch?
That sure sounds like what I'm looking for. I'll have to check it out on that knot site posted above.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-08-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Agree. That is how I do it.

There is no such thing as a "self tightening know."

George
Actually, there kind of is. Check out the short video on a "butcher's knot." I've seen a couple of different versions of it, but all show that you wrap up the meat, make a loop-thing, snap it tight, and you can let it go. Exactly what I'm looking for. I've even seen it where folks use it to tie up packages.

I just haven't been able to get it to work :( I don't know if I'm not doing it right, or I have to use butcher's cord, or it's because most of my stuff want's to push back (like a pile of branches) or what.

Last edited by TwoRails; 05-08-2016 at 10:34 PM.
post #16 of 25 Old 05-09-2016, 09:49 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Make a simple slip knot in the end of the rope. Pass the rope around the bundle and through the slip knot. Push the slip knot tight against the rope, then pull the rope tight through the slip knot. Make an overhand knot with the free end around the part of the rope leading to the slip knot (bend free end 180°). If you want ot release easily, make the last knot a bowtie knot. Easier to do than describe.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-10-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
Make a simple slip knot in the end of the rope. Pass the rope around the bundle and through the slip knot. Push the slip knot tight against the rope, then pull the rope tight through the slip knot. Make an overhand knot with the free end around the part of the rope leading to the slip knot (bend free end 180°). If you want ot release easily, make the last knot a bowtie knot. Easier to do than describe.
Sounds good; I'll give it a try, too. Thanks.
post #18 of 25 Old 05-11-2016, 06:27 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Tie a rope or cord in a circle. Run one end under the wood and take the other end and pass it through the first end. When you lift it, it will tighten.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-13-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
Tie a rope or cord in a circle. Run one end under the wood and take the other end and pass it through the first end. When you lift it, it will tighten.
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet... but I'm having trouble visualizing that.
post #20 of 25 Old 05-13-2016, 10:33 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoRails View Post
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet... but I'm having trouble visualizing that.
It is the bowline knot method just stated in a non-technical manner.

George
WesTex likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode