Woodworking Talk banner

I need Help!!! My wife is not going to be too happy...

10K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Pineknot_86 
#1 ·
If things work out, I might have put the straw on that breaks the camels back.:blink: I have always heard of all these "great" deals on Craigslist, but have never capitalized on them, because I think for the most part that since I live in the Chicagoland area, that there are just too many others to compete with. :censored:

I am on the way to go check out a unknown named 14" bandsaw, that is being sold for the right price. From what I could tell in the picture, it potentially will have all the things I am looking for in a "new to me" bandsaw, and should be a good addition to my tool collection.

The unfortunate thing is that this purchase might finally make it impossible to fit 2 cars in my garage when it snows. Oh well... If this works out, it just might be worth it. At least her main car will fit.....

If I end up coming home with it, I will post pics and more details.:yes:

Wish me luck

Fabian

#4 · (Edited)
If things work out, I might have put the straw on that breaks the camels back.:blink: I have always heard of all these "great" deals on Craigslist, but have never capitalized on them, because I think for the most part that since I live in the Chicagoland area, that there are just too many others to compete with. :censored:

I am on the way to go check out a unknown named 14" bandsaw, that is being sold for the right price. From what I could tell in the picture, it potentially will have all the things I am looking for in a "new to me" bandsaw, and should be a good addition to my tool collection.

The unfortunate thing is that this purchase might finally make it impossible to fit 2 cars in my garage when it snows. Oh well... If this works out, it just might be worth it. At least her main car will fit.....

Wish me luck

Fabian
LOL...hey Fabian we live over in Renaux Manor off of Peck and 64 and we have a tight fitting 2 car garage. The deal I struck with my wife in order to get my new TS was that unless absolutely necessary, I have to break everything down every night during the winter so that she can get her car in the garage. Mine sits outside all the time.....good luck man...:thumbsup:

btw...did you see this add? it's fairly close to us....

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bfs/2737908758.html

#11 ·
No kidding. My wife has had her car in the two car garage here exactly 3 nights in the now over 12 years we've lived here. I don't think she even knows we've got a garage anymore....:thumbsup::laughing:

For the O.P., I'd hoof it to H.F. and check their machines out better, blow some sweetness into a manager's ear, and get a photo copy of the parts list and contact info. I've done that more than once, just don't overdo the sweetness with the Mrs. around!

Reactions: thegrgyle
#6 ·
Well, I came home with a new to me bandsaw. I know now why it was a good price. It is a 14" and has all the features that I was looking for. Here it is:

Bandsaw Machine Bandsaws Technology Tool

First of all, I wanted to have the ability some day to possibly upgrade the saw to be able to resaw larger stock. To do this, I wanted to be able to put a riser block in it, and possibly upgrade the motor if need be. The current motor is only 1/2 hp. It also has a pulley system, so that I can control what speed I will be cutting at. The only downfall is that it DID NOT come with the upper guide. I suspect that is why the guy was selling it for so cheap. I figured that I might be able to find one aftermarket, or if push comes to shove, I could make one. There is a spot where it was, but it must have been taken off, and misplaced. Here are some more pics of it:

Machine Machine tool Auto part Gear shaper Metal

Text Font

Floor Wood Room Architecture Flooring

All in all, I think I got a pretty decent 14" bandsaw for $65. :thumbsup: I know it needs some TLC, but that is what I was looking for, especially since my woodworking tool fund is not that great.

Now to see if I can find that upper guide, and or some way to possibly find out any more information about it. It would be nice if I could find out just how fast the blade goes on which pulley configuration and what not.

Anyhow, this will have to put off to the side for now, because I still have a Christmas gift to work on.

Fabian

#7 ·
Welcome to the club Fabian! When I retired in '09 and brought my WW machines back home from storage, the deal was the wife's car gets to sleep inside at night or when it's raining or snowing. My car hasn't been in the garage since! Put as much as you can on casters and things will work out. At least until you can persuade her to let you build a dedicated shop out back! :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I hear you there, guys! I took mama out to dinner last night and started the "negotiations" with her, but truth be told, I also just don't like cleaning snow off of a car if I don't have to.... at least when it REALLY snows.

Not bad for $65. Do you think parts from any of the other Taiwanese 14" saws will work?

I did some research last night on the web, and the general concensus was that the saw that I bought seemed to be the same as the old 14" delta and jet saws, but never heard if anyone was successful at getting parts for the saw. My saw looks very familiar to the first green one you pictured (central machinery perhaps?) but also like the jet above. my table is made of aluminum though.

I was also checking out the saw last night, and looked in a small box that came with it, and found this. It is from Carter, but I may have the number wrong. upon further investigation, I think that one of the original users bought it hoping that it would work for the upper guide, but I think it is too big and massive, i.e. sticks out too far from the riser bar, therefore cause the blade to be to forward to stay on the wheels. I will see if I can post some pics of it later.

Anyhow, Scott.... Do you know where/who I could contact for a replace guide for the above mentioned models?

#17 ·
I just got a grizzly 14" and from what I can tell mine, the one sold by ridgid, the one sold by porter cable, the one at harbor freight and the jet are all the same machine and are all made by the same people who made yours. There are differences in HP and dust collection and add-ons like fences and miter gauges. Getting a new upper bearing set should be as easy as calling Grizzly and ordering one. Or you could splurge and get the real fancy bearings...

Should you want to add a riser, grizzly sells the same one as Home Depot. Grizzly's is around $70.00 while Home's is over $150.00.

#18 ·
The way to solve this very delicate situation on the garage is to sell her car and buy her a bus pass or if you like her then park your car outside and make room in the garage for hers or build yourself a workshop or put the tools on wheels.I know its lousy advice but you only have so many options,rent a storage unit till spring.

#19 ·
I hear you guys.... I do have all my tools on wheels, and everything is fit into, and along the perimeter of my garage like a tetris puzzle. This last bandsaw just might force my car outside for the winter. I might end up putting it in my shed, though, since I won't really be using it till I can tune it up, and get the parts for it. After all, I still have my benchtop model that I love, and can get by till I get the big one up and running.

Fabian

Reactions: mjadams61
#21 ·
Well, the Chicagoland area just had its second snowstorm, and this last one was about 6". Our cars were out in it, and I was still scrambling to start to clean the garage to get the cars inside. I did manage to made a mobile cart for the new bandsaw, and clear out a temporary storage spot for it, but then I looked at the rest of the mess in the garage, and gave up.

When out to breakfast with Mama, I asked her how she was with not having the cars in the garage, and she said she was fine with it :sweatdrop:. She was very happy that I have been cleaning them off when I snowblow, so that she doesn't have to do it :icon_biggrin:. Looks like my cars may have seen the last of the garage for now, unless one of them needs work :huh:.

Whew!

Fabian

#24 ·
thegrgyle said:

Wish me luck

Fabian
My wife knew that when we moved to our new house the garage(detached) was going to be all mine. I just had to lay the groundwork early.

#25 ·
I could move the tools out of the shed and onto the carport, but then they would be exposed to the same conditions as my three large saws. If I ever get a real shop, the wife already knows the shop is for wood working. She can have the carport.

#26 ·
Wow... I remember what snow was... I dont miss it a bit. I grew up in MKE and moved to PHX 12 years ago.

For some silly reason I used to work in my garage more when it was 115 degrees outside than when it is 70 degrees. However, this time around I am spending ALL my free time out there..and loving it.

To solve your garage dilemma - you could always do what I did... Her Laundry service is in the garage, as is my woodshop. (you can imagine the discontent that can cause!) I erected a wall that runs parallel to the roll up garage door and is situated right behind the opener motor.

Now there is NO WAY a car or cars could even fit in my garage (now called MANLAND). However, I did measure twice...to make sure that with some moving things around a Goldwing would fit quite pleasantly. Funny how that works! :thumbsup:

Geo

#28 ·
When I built my garage, I told her that if she helped build it, she could have some say at what went in it.

She never touched a tool...

I built it big enough at the time that both vehicles would fit and have room to with on then both at the same time. Well, I went from an extended cab longbox to a crewcab longbox with a huge bumper and added a grill guard for her Explorer. Then I added more tool, more toys and a foosball table...
Everything still fits and I am able to leave them in when I build stuff, but I keep telling her that hers will be the first to leave MY GARAGE when the space is needed.

The way that I see it, she should feel extremely priveledged to have a 6x10 spot to park, right?

Sent from this Droid thing on this wood app thing...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.