I need ALL of your help! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

View TimRoark's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb I need ALL of your help!

Firstly an introduction. My name is Tim. I'm 21, and I live in the Atlanta area. My father was a carpenter and I have a lot of personal experience.

My mother and sister often ask me for help with projects. Fixing and building. They are both very independent and don't like to have to rely on me for every little thing, and often express unhappiness about not having what many in the field consider common knowledge.

I am compiling some information that I can give them to answer common questions. A field guide of sorts. I thought it would be something I'd like to have on hand as well. I believe many people would, and perhaps one day I'll end up making a pamphlet or book. Many such things exist, but it's more difficult than you'd imagine to find something simple and straightforward. Something that is no frills and no personal anecdotes.. a real simple useful, hard copy resource.

My question for all of you friendly, experienced gentleman is what information can you offer? What information would you like in such a resource? What do you find yourself commonly trying to remember or look up? What are some tricks or tips or tidbits you've picked up over the years that you can share? Think about your wives, sisters, daughters, any family or friends, male or female, novice to handyman, to master carpenter.. Anything would be greatly and completely appreciated.

Alternately, if you have any books or websites that you think might help fill this void, that would be of great help as well, I'm sure.

Here is what I have swimming around in my head so far, anything you can add, in addition would be great:

Tools: hand and stationary. Common uses, perhaps some tips associated with each.

Methods for joining wood: butt joint, half lap, dovetail, mortise and tenon, etc. etc. etc.

Hardware, explanations/common uses. (It's surprising how people think a screw is just a screw, or don't know which is the nut and which is the bolt.)

Maybe a glossary of terms.

A general what to use when..

Perhaps categorical tips. I remember as a kid my dad showing me to mark a measurement with a v, instead of a line, or to slide the pencil with the combination square to draw a straight line down the piece of wood. These are the types of things that make life easier. That only come from a wealth of knowledge and years of figuring out how to do things best. Anything any of you can offer would be fantastic. Thank you for reading and for any help you might have. God bless.

Please also note that this isn't any sort of solicitation. At this point in time I'm just trying to compile some information for personal use. For myself and family and friends and do not aim for any sort of monetary gain. If it ever ended up becoming more, of course everything would be permissibly sourced correctly. Thank you.

Edit for clarification:
I have done and will continue to do plenty of research on my own. Many resources are available,and this post is an attempt to utilize one of them.
The question is vague, because the goal is broad. I'm not asking you to give me $100, I'm asking you for your 2 cents.
Thank you.

Last edited by TimRoark; 01-22-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 04:13 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome,These things can be researched on the internet.It is quite a list you have there.
#1.Measure twice ,cut once.

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #3 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Brother View Post
#1.Measure twice ,cut once.
A perfect adage, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

I was also thinking of how to assemble a basic tool kit, or the most commonly used tools.
Also maybe a few step by steps, mainly just to teach or practice certain methods or skills.
post #5 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 PM
I hate tools

View cocheseuga's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.amazon.com/Womans-Hands-Home-Repair-Guide/dp/0882669737
post #6 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, that seems like a good resource. I guess, to clarify, I'm looking more for general woodworking/construction/tools, not specifically home repair. Also, while I did introduce the idea as it being inspired by my mother and sister, it's sort of evolved into something for everyone.
post #7 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 08:06 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRoark View Post
Thank you, that seems like a good resource. I guess, to clarify, I'm looking more for general woodworking/construction/tools, not specifically home repair. Also, while I did introduce the idea as it being inspired by my mother and sister, it's sort of evolved into something for everyone.
Before you start collecting woodworking tools what types of projects do they intend to do most? What is their interest because there are many different ways to go. Do they want to build large projects, small projects, furniture, craft type of projects, etc.

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
post #8 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlord View Post
Before you start collecting woodworking tools what types of projects do they intend to do most? What is their interest because there are many different ways to go. Do they want to build large projects, small projects, furniture, craft type of projects, etc.
That's a very good point. My response would be to categorize the tool list in the manual. Perhaps, most commonly used tools, specialty tools, tools for crafting, furniture or etc. etc. Perhaps allowing them, and whomever to prioritize based on their specific plans and desires.
post #9 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
#2 Dont use the fence to do crosscuts.

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #10 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

My suggestion is to thoroughly read the threads that have been posted. There has been numerous threads covering tools, their use, materials, methods, and even specific home repairs questions.

Reading some of the questions asked will give you variety of answers offered by those that have done certain projects, both beginners and professional.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (01-22-2012)
post #11 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 08:41 PM

View Burt's Photo Album My Photos
I have this book and comes in very handy.
http://books.google.com/books?id=22I...s_similarbooks
post #12 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

@cabinetman
That's a great suggestion, and I certainly plan to. Thank you for the welcome.

@Burt
That might be just what I'm looking for. I'll have to give it a read. Thank you for the suggestion.
post #13 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Firstly, welcome to the forum. Secondly, this is a large forum, with a large number or active members, all of which have something to offer in all aspects of woodworking and all levels of skill. Your question seems to be one that really has no answer. We have seen this sort of post before. Everything from "help me with my latest college essay" and "what type of product would you woodworking guys like to see on the market" to "hi guys, I'm trying to write a book and I need your help". Your post appears to be no different than the other people that have come on here asking us to do their research for them or to do their marketing for their product. The responses you are getting are quite vague and I would suspect that they will probably stay that way. Please don't take my response the wrong way. I'm sure that your intentions are honourable but due to previous bombardments of scamming posters, I'm a little skepticle to give out information.
Please don't take it the wrong way but in one breath, you are stating that you want to make a field manual for your mother and your sister so that they don't have to rely on you, and in the next breath you're asking for different woodworking joints and tips on stationary shop tools. Are you mother and sister planning on getting into woodworking?
Personally, I agree with Cabinetman. Take the time to research the forum and read posts about the different subjects that you think will be helpful. There is a ton of information here on this site and it is there for the taking, all you have to do is look for it.
Good luck.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenbo For This Useful Post:
cabinetman (01-22-2012), Itchy Brother (01-23-2012), thegrgyle (01-23-2012)
post #14 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

@Kenbo
I thoroughly appreciate your honest response. I understand it entirely. Writing is perhaps not my foray, and I know my request was vague. I did state in the post somewhere that while it was inspired by my mother and sister it had evolved into a sort of manual for everyone. I said, "Think about your wives, sisters, daughters, any family or friends, male or female, novice to handyman, to master carpenter.." and assumed that was an adequate segway to portray that it wasn't just something for my mother and sister.
I certainly don't want anyone to "do my research for me" and have always, and will continue, for this venture and others to read as much as possible. Many resources are available,my post was an attempt to utilize one of them. My understanding of forums were that they were a public place for people to share their thoughts and experiences, ad well as novices to seek information from experts, and experts to offer their aid. Your hesitation "to give out information" is a little off-putting, and less than welcoming. I mean no disrespect, as you were clear that you hadn't intended any either.
To further clarify my question, as I agree it is quite vague, focus perhaps on the examples provided. "I remember as a kid my dad showing me to mark a measurement with a v, instead of a line, or to slide the pencil with the combination square to draw a straight line down the piece of wood. These are the types of things that make life easier. That only come from a wealth of knowledge and years of figuring out how to do things best."
This is what I was really looking for. I'm not asking you to tell me what a tool is for, or tell me how to do something i could easily find out with my own research.. I came to a public forum of self-proclaimed woodworkers to ask them to share their acquired knowledge. What makes your life easier when building something? What do you wish you knew years ago, that you know now? What else would you like to see in a resource that was as all encompassing as possible?
The question is vague, because the goal is broad. I'm not asking you to give me $100, I'm asking you for your 2 cents. (:
I hope this response doesn't sound rude, I don't intend for it to be at all. Your response was respectable, and your points valid. I hope this helps. Thanks again.

Last edited by TimRoark; 01-22-2012 at 09:22 PM.
post #15 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
My understanding of forums were that they were a public place for people to share their thoughts and experiences, ad well as novices to seek information from experts, and experts to offer their aid. Your hesitation "to give out information" is a little off-putting, and less than welcoming.

Don't be put off. As you can see by the length of time I have been a member here, and the number of posts that have been made by me, I am more than willing to give out information. In fact, one of the things that I am known for around here is posting build threads and tutorials, but I also trust my instincts and my first impression of your initial post got my guard up. If your intentions are honourable, then I truly do welcome you to the forum and I hope you stick around for many years to come. There are no bad intentions meant by my response and I'm sure that there are many more that are thinking the same as I am, they just aren't typing it. Either way, I wish you luck on your endevour. No hard feelings.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenbo For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (01-23-2012)
post #16 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 11:49 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo

Don't be put off. As you can see by the length of time I have been a member here, and the number of posts that have been made by me, I am more than willing to give out information. In fact, one of the things that I am known for around here is posting build threads and tutorials, but I also trust my instincts and my first impression of your initial post got my guard up. If your intentions are honourable, then I truly do welcome you to the forum and I hope you stick around for many years to come. There are no bad intentions meant by my response and I'm sure that there are many more that are thinking the same as I am, they just aren't typing it. Either way, I wish you luck on your endevour. No hard feelings.
Kenbo, your not the only self proclaimed woodworker who felt that way about his post. I wouldn't doubt if this is one of the means by which some available publications have been compiled as they really are pretty awful.

Tim, I applaud your spunk and eagerness and I expect that given your age. (I'm not THAT much older) but the important thing to realize is that despite the overwhelming and daunting knowledge here (even from Kenbo alone) is at a magnitude beyond the scope of a DIY guide. Sure, a lot of principles and practices do apply but there is simply no way to infuse that into someone. It truly must be learned with time.

What I recommend you do is create an outline of what you want to convey. Then start writing each topic to the best of your ability from experience and research. You'll be amazed at how much even you learn from it. There will be things you struggle with and those are the ones that you can then ask a specific question about and get miles of specific information on... Probably more than you care to read.

Cracking one of the guys skulls here and pouring it out on paper isn't something you can expect to do. Your asking for a lot of time from them. YES we are all here to help and LEARN alike but it's within reason as most here have jobs and families.

Like Kenbo I get quite frustrated with vague questions, it implies that it has not been thought through. A direct question implies the poster has considered it and looked into it a bit before hand. Unfortunately most things worth learning do require effort.

This forum is open to the public but it is not public property. It is composed of guys (and gals) like you and I who enjoy woodworking and discussing it with like minded people.

As for ideas, I wish I would have been taught how to properly measure when I first started and the importance of accuracy starting with things as simple as the marking instrument. For instance a knife as compared to a pencil.

Good luck.

~tom. ...GEAUX TIGERS!... ...GEAUX SAINTS!......
The Following User Says Thank You to firemedic For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (01-23-2012)
post #17 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
As for ideas, I wish I would have been taught how to properly measure when I first started and the importance of accuracy starting with things as simple as the marking instrument. For instance a knife as compared to a pencil.

Good luck.

While I appreciate and respect your opinion.. an answer like this is all I'm really asking for. That isn't really asking a lot is it? You were able to do that in spite of your family and job, no? I'm not asking any one person for their entire wealth of knowledge, that would be ludicrous. I am sorry if the phrasing of my question was too vague or asking too much. All i really wanted was a few tips. Clearly that has been far too much to ask from this community. I apologize.
post #18 of 61 Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 AM

View weavilswoodshop's Photo Album My Photos
Tim, while your idea of documenting basic woodworking knowledge has merit, it certainly isn't original. Volumes have been written explaining and describing tools and how to use them, a broad variety of joinery from modern to old school, discriptions of woods their character and uses, furniture and cabinetry construction and so forth and so forth. "How To" books and magazines whether compiled by the serious craftsman or simply a rersourceful researcher have been a source of income for many and I have no complaint with that. I personally have benefited by having a hefty library of woodwooking books and manuals. I also enjoy forums such as this one and pick up a lot of helpful tips but what makes a forum interesting and worthwhile is not simply just asking for and recieving "How To" information but it's the discussion that goes with it. I hope you continue to visit this site and have a share in the discussions. I liked your point about your dad showing you to mark with a v rather than a straight line and how you could run a line using the combination square and a pencil. If I may, I would like to suggest that you solve your concern with your Mother and sister by showing them this forum and when they need advise all they have to do is open a thread. I look forward to reading your post in the future... Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to weavilswoodshop For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (01-23-2012)
post #19 of 61 Old 01-23-2012, 12:13 AM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRoark

While I appreciate and respect your opinion.. an answer like this is all I'm really asking for. That isn't really asking a lot is it? You were able to do that in spite of your family and job, no? I'm not asking any one person for their entire wealth of knowledge, that would be ludicrous. I am sorry if the phrasing of my question was too vague or asking too much. All i really wanted was a few tips. Clearly that has been far too much to ask from this community. I apologize.
Your snide comments are really starting to be abrasive against my typically calm demeanor.

I think it's pretty clear that we are trying to help you but your not seeing the forest through the trees. I'd like to retract my suggestions and make a new one. Go to amazon.com and buy them a book.

Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firemedic For This Useful Post:
bigcouger (01-23-2012), Itchy Brother (01-23-2012), thegrgyle (01-23-2012)
post #20 of 61 Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 AM

View AlWood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
The question is vague, because the goal is broad. I'm not asking you to give me $100, I'm asking you for your 2 cents.
Thank you.
Tim, I am sorry, but in my opinion, your question is vague, because you simply don't know what is that you are looking for, or even don't know what you wanted to say, and not because your goal is broad. There are people who have an ability to talk in great length without saying anything on substance, or worse -- without having a single idea of what they are talking about... Perhaps your msg was intended as a 1st Aprile joke, but then again, it is only January out there...

Tags
diy, experience, resource, tip, trick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode