4Likes
  • 1 Post By difalkner
  • 1 Post By Jay C. White Cloud
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Jay C. White Cloud

post #1 of 16 Old 04-09-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

View Kammunoz87's Photo Album My Photos
I知 completely new and need help!

Hello so I have a had little experience with wood working. I am in the process of building an aquarium stand with a canopy over it. I am having trouble finding a solution to my issue. My issues is if I were to ever remove the canopy (which could only be removed by sliding it forward) the weight will cause the back end to come down on the tank. Potentially causing disaster. Any ideas or criticism are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-09-2019, 09:03 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! Add your location to your profile and you can add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you. This is probably best done on a computer rather than on a mobile device.

Is there a way to build in a ledge along the sides such that you can slide the canopy off without it dropping in the back?

David
Kammunoz87 likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
The Following User Says Thank You to difalkner For This Useful Post:
Kammunoz87 (04-09-2019)
post #3 of 16 Old 04-09-2019, 09:19 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
How much does the canopy weigh? What are the dimensions?

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-09-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Ok will do. I could add a rail up top but issues is where it rest up front since the front posts are attached to the canopy

post #5 of 16 Old 04-09-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Inless I installed latches or some sort of catch system?

post #6 of 16 Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

post #7 of 16 Old 04-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammunoz87 View Post
..Hello so I have a had little experience with wood working. I am in the process of building an aquarium stand with a canopy over it. I am having trouble finding a solution to my issue. My issues is if I were to ever remove the canopy (which could only be removed by sliding it forward) the weight will cause the back end to come down on the tank. Potentially causing disaster. Any ideas or criticism are welcome...
Hello Kammunoz87,

Welcome to the forum...

First I would offer another post with very similar information in it.

After reading that if you have more questions, I would be glad to help, as I am sure others will too...

The other post thread is:

Just built a custom stand for my 125 Gallon Fish Tank - What do you guys think?

What I can say at this point is I don't have enough context to give you the adivise I would like to?

What size tank?

What type?

Your building the tank or its professionally made?

Fresh water or Saline...or mixed medium Vivarium?

Metal hinges do not fair well with most setup unless high end stainless steel and even then there can often be issues in just a few years.

Hoods are usually designed to be fully removable for servicing the lighting and other mechanical features...

If the stand is held together with screws, those too typically are stainless and usually backed up with structural adhesives...

That's all I can really offer at this time...

Hope you find it of some help...?...

j
Kammunoz87 likes this.

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:的 cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
Stephen Covey:"Seek to understand, before seeking to be understood..."
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay C. White Cloud For This Useful Post:
Kammunoz87 (04-09-2019)
post #8 of 16 Old 04-09-2019, 09:34 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would be more worried about the dampness from the water causing the cabinet above the aquarium to rot.
Kammunoz87 likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-09-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I would be more worried about the dampness from the water causing the cabinet above the aquarium to rot.

Wouldn稚 polyurethane and paint solve this?

post #10 of 16 Old 04-09-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C. White Cloud View Post
Hello Kammunoz87,

Welcome to the forum...

First I would offer another post with very similar information in it.

After reading that if you have more questions, I would be glad to help, as I am sure others will too...

The other post thread is:

Just built a custom stand for my 125 Gallon Fish Tank - What do you guys think?

What I can say at this point is I don't have enough context to give you the adivise I would like to?

What size tank?

What type?

Your building the tank or its professionally made?

Fresh water or Saline...or mixed medium Vivarium?

Metal hinges do not fair well with most setup unless high end stainless steel and even then there can often be issues in just a few years.

Hoods are usually designed to be fully removable for servicing the lighting and other mechanical features...

If the stand is held together with screws, those too typically are stainless and usually backed up with structural adhesives...

That's all I can really offer at this time...

Hope you find it of some help...?...

j

As for the tank it will be only a 40g breeder salt water reef setup. The tank is made by aqueon which I plan on drilling for a sump to go below the stand. I will be able to do all the maintenance through the canopy door and the filter will be below the tank.

post #11 of 16 Old 04-09-2019, 10:35 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Polyurethane or paint would certainly help however these finishes aren't 100% waterproof, some moisture will go right through it. Then a better method of water getting in would be the cracks, crevasses and joints.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Pic for reference sorry for the poor illustration

post #13 of 16 Old 04-10-2019, 12:20 AM
Timber Wright-Guide

Quote:
As for the tank it will be only a 40g breeder salt water reef setup. The tank is made by aqueon which I plan on drilling for a sump to go below the stand. I will be able to do all the maintenance through the canopy door and the filter will be below the tank.
That does tell me a lot more. Thank you.

I always like to be encouraging to folks, but its hard often on forums to know at what skill levels a DIYer may have.

By your own post title you have suggested that you are "completely new and need help," so I do have to share that this is a really "high end" build for even a pro at all this.

I don't share that to be discouraging, but to make sure you fully comprehend that this type enclosure system has a great deal that has to work correctly to be successful.

I have way more questions, that can't really be answered from a forum post alone so can only offer answers to questions you may ask direct from this point forward.

One you have already shared and the feed back is that the stand, as built, seems lacking in design for what is going to be asked of it? That is only speculation as I can't see it in person nor have you presented a comprehensive design schematic for examination with all the components listed and how they are intended to work in concert with each other?

I will also only speculate that you know a great deal about saline set ups so will have no issue balancing out the system and getting it to work sustainably?

Quote:
Short answer...as Steve has speculated on correctly...no they won't work...

There is way more to there application in this venue than just putting on some poly or paint...

Actually, neither one of these finishes (poly or paint) are even applicable for such a project. This will (and does) require for a successful and durable build a very specific application of materials (usually very specific epoxies.) These intern (for better designs) must be done in at least 3 coats (absolute minimum...with 5 being better to even get to 98% moisture resistance) and working in concert typically with a layered systems like a "rain screen" design found in architectural exterior siding applications. The first layer (in better builds) is an eternal canopy armature that holds all the lighting and other mechanicals/electrical elements that are attached to the primary canopy armature itself that would be coated with the epoxy mentioned above...

That is just one of the design formats for a "good system" expected to do what you ask of this one. There are others but these are just as complex and not made of wood at all...usually found in much larger setups at zoos or public aquariums...

So, to be clear......I'm not suggesting giving up, but believe a more thorough assessment of your project is in order. This needs (if you don't have it?) a complete well thought out design schematic, with all the different parts planed and considered. I get the feeling this has been (up to now?) a "design as you go" kind of project. I suggest this is way to complex a system to even attempt designing that way...

Food for thought? Sorry if it wasn't more helpful or what you wanted to read...???...Let me know if I can expand on anything?

j

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:的 cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
post #14 of 16 Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

I知 completely new and need help!

Thanks for the input everyone. Well I am going to try making this work can稚 give up on it did some more work over the weekend

post #15 of 16 Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

I know the carving isn稚 the greatest but this my first time using a router

post #16 of 16 Old 04-15-2019, 07:16 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

Quote:
I know the carving isn’t the greatest but this my first time using a router...
First time...!!!???

Well, two Octopus flanking a Great White Shark (?...or is that a Thrasher Shark?) is clearly visible...I think you did a fantastic job of it!!!
Kammunoz87 likes this.

Tosa Tomo Designs
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay C. White Cloud For This Useful Post:
Kammunoz87 (04-15-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode