I have to trim that 9' by 9' door... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-11-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
I have to trim that 9' by 9' door...

I don't know the whole story yet of why I have to do this but I do know that I have to cut an inch and a half off that darn thing. The top rail is the same width as the sides and the middle so I don't want take is off of that, however it's over 400lbs of door and I'm not going to try to lift it to get to the bottom. It also won't fit out of the space we put it in. So this should be "Fun". No idea on how this will play out but hopefully it will in the end.

It's not bad to dream. But you also have to consider what's realistic. -All Might (Boku no Hero Academia)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
sounds easy to me if .......

If your circular saw has the base plate 1.5 inches to the blade on the off motor side you are all set. You just lay that base rail on a flat floor and run the saw across the bottom. You will have to support the door by screwing a 2 x 8 on the back side. Just saw into it but not all the way through of course. :smile3:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 7 Old 09-11-2017, 09:36 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Would it be any easier or make for a better look to enlarge the opening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-12-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Generic Weeb

So when the office people sent the order to the shop for a 9' by 9' door they forgot one main thing. To measure where it's supposed to go. So the ceiling is 10' high but the door hardware and some other nonsense (No Idea what it is but apparently it has to go there and moving it is not an option) takes up a whole foot so the door has to be trimmed down. Here's the fun bit, The room we put it in is only 11' wide so not too much room finagle this thing because of the bypass door track at the beginning of the room. To make it even better when we put it in there it was in two parts, you can't really tell though because I'm just that awesome (Que hair flip and tooth shine). It's a mortise and tenon holding it together which is plenty for the stress it was supposed to receive but I worry about it cracking now that it's joined.

Current plan goes as follows: Since no one will see the back anyway screw boards onto the back to keep it steady then while it's still in the stands move it to the front of the room until the stands touch the track at the edge of the room. Lift one edge and remove the first two stands the lift it the other way and remove the other two. Lean the door back onto a table (8' by 4') and trim the bottom 3/4" then trim the top 3/4" (Not my call it's what the boss wanted we tried to talk him out of it but he wouldn't budge) then lower in back into the stands for the pre-finish guy to deal with before it gets hung. We'll have about six guys to lift this thing just to be safe and hopefully it'll go smoothly. Going to be a "Fun" week for sure, I was busy enough already and then then this gets thrown at me... At least I'm employed!

It's not bad to dream. But you also have to consider what's realistic. -All Might (Boku no Hero Academia)
post #5 of 7 Old 09-13-2017, 11:00 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
It will take many passes, but you could use an electric planer.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-13-2017, 06:07 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
6 guys, 400 lbs and all that ....

I would just use a circular saw with the adjustable rip fence. Cutting 3/4" off the top is no big deal... set it .... saw it... forget it. Cutting 3/4" off the bottom requires that you use a circular saw with the adjustable fence set to 3/4" AND the saw motor will not be facing down. You may have to cut left to right or vice versa... which ever works depending on your saw. You will need to make two legs screwed to the back side to support the weight of the door and raise it off the floor maybe 1", again no big deal.... set it... saw it ... forget it.

All this can be done "in place" no lifting, flipping, laying down, etc. You may have to get down on bended knees to make the bottom cut, no big deal if you are under 50 ......

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-13-2017 at 06:11 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-14-2017, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Generic Weeb

So we ended up cutting the full 1 1/5" off the bottom (Thank god) and it all worked out fine. We did lay it down to cut it and it all went pretty smoothly. But we did have a problem with skill saw we used as the blade wasn't as sharp as it could have been and at wanted to stray away from the guide. Popped in a fresh blade and all went well. They hang the door tomorrow and the pre-finish guy goes in on Friday. I'll see if I can get a picture of the final product once it's all said and done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode