I hate sanding - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
I hate sanding

So I do...OK not totally hate it but I rightly or wrongly spend hours and hours on it, at least 1/3rd of total build time.

I use a cabinet scraper as much as possible but I also use a little Rigid 1/4 sheet finish sander. Or my hands. Or nothing cause I don't want to do it any more.....builds stall at sanding time.

So if I had a better more efficient sander maybe it would take less out of me. Never used a ROS so is it any better/faster with one? Or maybe a specific one? I read festool rotex(sp?) Can do fast removal and then switch to fine sand mode...but it's like $500. Any other good ones that will be a big difference over my current setup?

Am I deluding myself that sanding time will go down? I usually buy rough lumber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 07:10 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I belt sand everything and then use a random orbital sander. I wore out several hand held belt sanders before buying a stroke sander. It too is a belt sander but the belt is 6" wide and 281" long. Now I can sand everything in a fraction of the time and better. For some things a drum sander or a time saver sander would do a fine job. A stroke sander is just more versatile. I can lower the table and put a dining room table on it with the skirt still on the table.
Attached Images

post #3 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 07:12 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Buy a better sander. 95% of all my sanding is done with my Festool Rotex. I can usually hit my projects with one pass of 150 and I am done, plus there is no dust.

If I had room, I would have a stroke sander and wide belt as well. One day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Hahaha...I pictured me sanding with my little Rigid and then you on this beast. OK. ..I hate sanding but unfortunately can't squeeze 12 feet of machine anywhere. 😨
post #5 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by was2ndlast View Post
Hahaha...I pictured me sanding with my little Rigid and then you on this beast. OK. ..I hate sanding but unfortunately can't squeeze 12 feet of machine anywhere. 😨
There are much smaller stroke sander however even the little ones take quite a bit of space. The one I have came from a furniture manufacturer that had several buildings.
post #6 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Tool Fanactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
There are much smaller stroke sander however even the little ones take quite a bit of space. The one I have came from a furniture manufacturer that had several buildings.

I had a Boice Crane, it was an OK machine. I believe I ended up scrapping it because I wanted the room back.
post #7 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Buy a good ros. Festool is great, but dewalt or bosch are very good too

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #8 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
I had a Boice Crane, it was an OK machine. I believe I ended up scrapping it because I wanted the room back.
The sander I liked the best was a Beech. I just came across this one first. Got a good deal on it. I bought it for $300.00 but had to go to Houston to get it.
post #9 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 08:34 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Bosch ROS, and a drum sander. It works well enough I don't hate sanding.
post #10 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
Buy a better sander. 95% of all my sanding is done with my Festool Rotex. I can usually hit my projects with one pass of 150 and I am done, plus there is no dust.

If I had room, I would have a stroke sander and wide belt as well. One day.
For the sander to work as well as the price commands does it need to be hooked up to a festool extractor?
post #11 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 09:38 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
You mentioned rough lumber - do you have a jointer or planer? I'm asking because it sounds like your doing way too much sanding. I use the Porta Cable 333 and it's a very nice machine - maybe $150? I sand my projects in a couple of hrs.

You also mentioned cabinet scraper - great tool and way too often overlooked. If you're talking about the card scraper, they're great to have in the workshop. But how about a Stanley #80? It's a card scraper on steroids and very easy to sharpen. I got mine in a yard sale for $20.
Attached Images

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #12 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 10:06 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
IMHO ROS's are too aggressive for finish sanding. I like the 1/4 sheet orbiting finish sanders for finish work.

I dont mind sanding but I hate finishing. Thats usually when my projects come to a halt for a bit.
post #13 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 10:10 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not saying this is the only way, but........

I use high quality sandpaper in every possible grit I could find using a now nearly 25 year old Porter Cable Random Orbit Sander. I start with 50 if I have to, but usually start with 80, then 100, then 120,150 and 180. I find if I work my way through all the grits, I need to spend very little time on each grit. I usually sand the higher grits (220, 240 & 300) by hand - with the grain. I connect the sander to a cheap shop vac and I can't believe how much it improves things by sucking up the dust so I'm not just re-sanding sanding dust.

For those who love the Festool, is it really THAT much better?
post #14 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
A ROS would be a definite improvement over your 1/4 sheet sander. Material gets removed faster and leaves a better finish to boot. As far as which to pick, good luck. I use a little cheapo skip model, and it gets the job done just fine for me. As you get more expensive you get more features, like better dust collection or variable speed, as well as better build quality, so it all really depends on how much you're wanting to spend.

Also, for what its worth if you were wanting to go festool I'd look at the ets125. I confess I haven't used either of them, but the ets125 is supposed to be lighter and easier to handle. If you need to do heavy stock removal you'd probably want to grab a belt sander anyway

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #15 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 PM
Tool Fanactic

The ets 125 is a finish sander, I use it for sanding finishes only. The 2mm stroke is not aggressive enough for any sort of stock removal.

I do my final sanding before finish with my Rotex 125 in rotex (aggressive) mode with 150g paper. I may only do 120 if I am painting.

I go straight from 150 in rotex mode to applying a finish.
post #16 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamfer View Post
IMHO ROS's are too aggressive for finish sanding. I like the 1/4 sheet orbiting finish sanders for finish work.

I dont mind sanding but I hate finishing. Thats usually when my projects come to a halt for a bit.

My ROS sander is all I use for finishing.....on Oak I start with 120 and finish with 180......

I busted out my 1/4 sheet to finish some inside corners for the first time in months last week......I quickly decided I liked my ROS better.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #17 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Tool Fanactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by was2ndlast View Post
For the sander to work as well as the price commands does it need to be hooked up to a festool extractor?
It needs some sort of vac if you want the paper to last as long as it should. Plus then there is no mess.
post #18 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 10:42 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
sanding

Was 2nd
I don't think anyone really likes sanding but it can make or break a project.
I use a combination of sanders. I have belt sanders and orbital sanders for heavy duty sanding, but there is always lots of hand sanding to be done on most projects. Normally you shouldn't need a grit lower than 80. I try to have my wood clean enough that I start with 100 grit and sand it to 220 prior to starting the finish.
A high quality prep job can result in a high quality finish.
Anyone can glue two pieces of wood together. It's the prep and finish that makes the project.
Man-up and don't cut the prep short. You will enjoy the results for a lifetime.
post #19 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 11:24 PM
World's Tallest Midget

View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by was2ndlast
I hook my DeWalt ROS to my craftsman shop vac and it works great. The only thing that ruined me was reading on FOG that you're supposed to turn down the suction so it doesn't suck the sanding pad on the surface of the wood, causing the sander to bog down. Of course, the only variable suction vacs I've found are the Festool ones. Oh well, someday.

I splurged on a Festool Carvex jigsaw recently because I needed a jigsaw and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I can hook up my old Craftsman vac and cut foam insulation with no mess. Whatever voodoo Festool has going on, I'm convinced it's worth the extra money. I think a Rotex RO90 is my next big purchase.

I hate signatures.
post #20 of 55 Old 04-13-2015, 11:49 PM

View eldonv's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up Random Orbital Sander

I really enjoy sanding with my Dewalt random orbital sander. Put on a coarse disc like 36gr or 50gr and it really removes lots of wood and makes quick work of flattening a piece of wood, then go to finer sandpaper like 80gr or 100gr and then onto 150gr and quite at about 180gr or 220gr and you will have a nice flat piece and very smooth for a nice finish weather you use paint for your finish or a nice stain and clear finish and all this doesn't take very long because the random orbital sander is very fastl.

So I do...OK not totally hate it but I rightly or wrongly spend hours and hours on it, at least 1/3rd of total build time.

I use a cabinet scraper as much as possible but I also use a little Rigid 1/4 sheet finish sander. Or my hands. Or nothing cause I don't want to do it any more.....builds stall at sanding time.

So if I had a better more efficient sander maybe it would take less out of me. Never used a ROS so is it any better/faster with one? Or maybe a specific one? I read festool rotex(sp?) Can do fast removal and then switch to fine sand mode...but it's like $500. Any other good ones that will be a big difference over my current setup?

Am I deluding myself that sanding time will go down? I usually buy rough lumber.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode