I can't be the only one - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 14Likes

post #1 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I can't be the only one

Someone else has to do this on a fairly regular basis. You work on some project, sometimes several and there's just this one tool you never seem to have, but 6 months later after you've done unimaginable workarounds or repurchased the same tool it seems several times over and over and yet you somehow discover that you actually did have said tool all along hiding in the back of a shelf or drawer ..I pretty regularly forget that I have a lot of things sitting around even when they're hiding in plain sight right where they're supposed to be. I have a feeling this is only going to get worse as I age more. Someday my grandkids will be going through my junk and ask,"Why did grandpa have 8 table saws?" I hope it never gets that bad.. lol

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 07:38 AM

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
I'm real bad about this with fasteners and hardware. Hinges. Fittings. Stuff I don't use all the time, I'll think "I'm going to hold onto that! One day that will come in handy" Then I'll find it when I get back from the hardware...after just buying the exact same thing.
MLP likes this.
post #3 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I think you just coined a new phrase: That'll come in handy someday when I forget I have 12 of them already!
furnacefighter15 likes this.

Impressive, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 10:36 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to my world!!

I picked up one of my favorite tools - a fractional dial caliper - to measure something in the house about 2 weeks ago.

Picked it up in shop, never made it to house.

Haven't found it yet. Still aggravated every time I think about it.

Going to order another one while they're still available.

Robert
post #5 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
Welcome to my world!!

I picked up one of my favorite tools - a fractional dial caliper - to measure something in the house about 2 weeks ago.

Picked it up in shop, never made it to house.

Haven't found it yet. Still aggravated every time I think about it.

Going to order another one while they're still available.
So it seems that the one HF sells has a pretty good reputation. I was just looking at one yesterday. You probably have to special order it and have it shipped since I doubt they have the good ones on the shelf in stores, but it's worth having a looksee at one of their stores.

You know what frosts me more than anything? Something I've had sitting in the exact same place for 5 years and the very moment I need it...POOF! GONE FOREVER! And nobody knows where it just magically vanished to.. That'll have me ranting and raving around the house for 6 months.. lol

Thinking about ranting and raving i have to go buy some plywood since every piece I have is just an inch too short. Cut up a full sheet for two 18" x 50" pieces? IDK.there's gotta be a better way to live.. I think a couple 1x's glued together..

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 09-02-2020 at 12:00 PM.
post #6 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 12:22 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
it's called oldtimers, we all get it
i think i was born with it 🤨
Rander likes this.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 01:28 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have that issue(yet), but a funny story.

Seven or so years ago a neighbor passed away, he was a woodworker, and a bargain hunter. His family was clueless about what he had in the shop so another neighbor and I offered to help liquidate his stuff.

We went through the shop getting ready for the sale pulling stuff out of drawers to place on tables. We found MANY duplicates of a number of items, router bushings for example. We found a set, dig through a drawer, another set, it turned into a game after a while. I'm sure he paid pennies on the dollar for these things as he bought nothing new.
post #8 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 04:20 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
Step 1: Go to Harbor Freight and buy their Tool Cabinet on Wheel,s and the Tool Chest to go on top of the cabinet. It works wonders.
Tony B likes this.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
post #9 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 07:20 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I am still looking for my 4 inch Starrett double square (13A). I bought it used for a reasonable price, and used it all the time. It has been missing for at least six months. I searched everywhere, multiple times. I really miss it.

I finally broke down and bought a cheap iGaging 4 inch double square about a month ago, but it isn't the same. Not close. Sure, it is square, but it is not smooth, and the blade doesn't flip or engage as easily.

I couldn't bring myself to spend the money on a new Starrett, and no bargains popped up on the used market. :-(

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 09-02-2020 at 07:22 PM.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 08:00 PM

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
Just this past spring I was looking for my 1/4" nut driver for the drill. Looked high and low. Ended up buying 2 more just to have. Did my little project and ended up deciding to modify my plan and needed a couple tapcons. Well sonofagun! guess what was in with my tapcons! now I have 3 1/4" nut drivers.
post #11 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 08:10 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
Luckily I'm not there yet, but I'm the only one allowed in my shop and to touch my tools without my permission, and I really do know where everything is. It may not be the neatest arrangement but it works for me. Just the other day my daughter asked if she could borrow my Dremel to cut some screws, I said sure (I know she is good with tools as I have worked with her many times), top draw in the white cabinet left hand side, when she returns it I will put it away.
post #12 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 08:45 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I’ve been missing my metric socket set since last December. I just ordered a new set. The old ones should turn up any minute now...
post #13 of 28 Old 09-02-2020, 11:45 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I had pop rivet tool that FIL got me in the late 1960s. More than just a pop rivet tool, it was something that Dad gave me. I bought another from HD to replace it. It is probably a better quality tool but Dad didn't give it to me.

I know that I loaned it to someone, I just can't remember who. I can remember that they didn't want any of the rivets because they had some special ones.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #14 of 28 Old 09-03-2020, 02:29 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Im too cheap to do that with tools, but i do it with hardware all the time. Ive given up on looking around for screws, now when im planning a project i just order a box of whatever fasteners ill need from McMaster. Screws are cheap and at least that way ill have spares
GeneT likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #15 of 28 Old 09-03-2020, 06:51 AM

View ehbowen's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Iíve been missing my metric socket set since last December. I just ordered a new set. The old ones should turn up any minute now...
First, you need to throw away your receipt for the new ones....

Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

----Eric H. Bowen
post #16 of 28 Old 09-05-2020, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

My wife seems to believe that I should be thrilled to move furniture around whenever the whim strikes her... Just this morning she wanted me to move some chair so I told her to get my 38 year old son to do it so SHE said, "Even I could move it!"
Me: "So knock yourself out. If it's so easy then why bother asking me?"
Her: "WELL!...."
I won't go into the rest of this still simmering discussion.. lol I already know we won't talk for the rest of the day..

Impressive, huh?
post #17 of 28 Old 09-06-2020, 07:29 AM

Bad move
post #18 of 28 Old 09-06-2020, 11:00 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I sent this in a PM, but will share here.

We have scale drawings of rooms on graph paper. We also have a sandwich baggie of our "furniture" cut from graph paper to the same scale. They are stored in the file cabinet.

1/4 inch = 1 foot.

Before we move or rearrange anything, Spouse shows me the furniture layout on the paper model first. That's the deal. It helps preserve my aikin' back, for sure.

We moved my parents multiple times over the years. We had a separate sandwich bag for their furniture, and baggies for other relatives who ask us to help them move, too.

Laugh if you must, but it is easy and fast, and it works.
post #19 of 28 Old 09-07-2020, 06:21 AM

As a draftsman I would draw up plans like that and show my wife, it did no good, she had to physicality see it, so I gave up.
MLP likes this.
post #20 of 28 Old 09-08-2020, 02:37 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
lol I already know we won't talk for the rest of the day..
sometimes... i'm ok with that 😉

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode