Woodworking Talk banner

I can't find this hardware. Lid stay / slide hinge

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SonnyAgain 
#1 ·
Hello, I have looked high and low online for this lid stay and would love to have your help. The guy in the video calls it a slide hinge but it also seems like it could be a lid stay which is what it is being used for. It has a thumb turn tension/friction adjustment. The goal is to have a lid that can be stopped at various angles for watercolor painting.

Can anyone help please?

thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
So ... are you still looking?

This is the first one I posted and it looks to be what you need:

The others you posted, could be home made or assembled, however, the long slot would be difficult to make without a milling machine, unless it was made of brass.The easels do look home made so that may be the case.

They could be made from wood, but they would need to be much thicker for strength. There's another concept for adjusting to given angles that uses legs that nest in a series on step or notches inside the case that could be made from thinner wood.

Still lookin'?

#6 ·
thank you.

I think you are correct that the ratchet bracket would work. I was hoping to find something that would look more attractive mounted to the exterior of the box to match the brass and leather finishes planned for the design. I think I may just have to adjust the interior design to mount the ratchet bracket to the interior of the sides. The stepped locking mechanism of the ratchet would probably be more stable than the friction turn anyway.

#8 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.