How would you clamp this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 03-04-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
How would you clamp this?

I'm building a display case that basically consists of a base, four posts and a top. Glass will fit into slots in the posts. I've made the posts with round tenons on one end; it will fit into a round hole in the base. Sounds simple, but I've done some dry clamping runs and the clamp seems to make the post want to go out of square from the base. It just seems like the weight of the clamp is enough to make the post go wonky. Not much, but I need it to come up straight to accommodate the glass. Any ideas for how to provide enough clamping pressure to make everything stays put while the glue dries without making it go out of square??
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-04-2016, 02:27 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Consider building a fixture to hold the two pieces in alignment - perhaps on a horizontal plane rather than up-right. Be safe.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-04-2016, 03:06 PM

View B&O Craftsman's Photo Album My Photos
I would use a band clamp or two. If you don't have one (or that large) use a couple cargo straps . Get them good and tight. To square it, measure from apposing corners. Make adjustments till there the same measurement. Then temporarily tack some thin boards in the corners to hold form. Preferably on the back so it would be seen. Let it dry and there you have it. I have a project coming up, in the next weeks, that uses this technique on my YouTube channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-04-2016, 05:45 PM

View TerryQ's Photo Album My Photos
I would make or buy two of these and clamp them to your leg and top to keep them aligned.

http://www.rockler.com/clamp-it-assembly-square
post #5 of 5 Old 03-04-2016, 05:56 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
another easy method

Set your legs in the holes, dry. Measure the distance between them on the flats at the very bottom and rip a 3/4" piece of plywood to that dimension. Back it up at either end with some more scraps to provide a clamping surface. It will it exactly between the legs for your vertical support in one axis. Then take another scrap of plywood and screw it in the center of the first piece to act as a leg, which will hold it vertical in the other axis. Put the glue on and clamp it up... it's a "no fail" jig, uses no special clamps and just some scrap wood. It's bit of extra work, but it will guarantee verticals in both axis.

It's gonna look like a "T" when you are finished.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-04-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode