How is this type of woodwork (the crown molding/trim) made? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

View sonicthewedgehog's Photo Album My Photos
Hi,

I've never actually seen this type of woodwork made before, so I would like to know how it's made. To be clear, I'm talking about the top portion (circled in green in second pic). What tools are used, what's the name for it and what's the general process please. Thanks!

How is this type of woodwork (the crown molding/trim) made?-3a08fa9b252969dfcd5c5a350bacb9d5_1555314015817.jpg

How is this type of woodwork (the crown molding/trim) made?-capture-_2019-04-15-02-43-21_1555314446161.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
These days just run a strip past a shaped cutter. In the past could be done entirely by hand.
Search utube.
johnep
post #3 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 05:34 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Labor was cheaper back then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 08:02 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There is multiple layers of molding there. In the old days the simple trim was done with a molding plane. Today that could be done with a shaper or molder. The brackets at the very bottom are individual pieces most likely done then by a wood carver. Today they could be done with a shaper making about 4 of them on a single blank and then cut into individual pieces. The more pronounced rounded molding toward the middle was probably done in shorter pieces on a lathe and then quartered. It could be done easier today with a cnc but still could also be done by the DIY with a lathe the same way. Just above that molding appears to be common dental molding. It's difficult to say from that picture. That could be easily done today by the DIY with a table saw with a 1/4" dado blade. You just make a jig attached to the miter gauge with a 1/4" wide stop located 1/4" from the blade. You just start the molding and slip it over the stop with each cut and it makes perfectly spaced dado's 1/4" apart. You could also make the flat spaces wider by positioning the stop further from the blade however most of the time it is made symmetrical. There is also a tiny molding toward the middle which appears to be rope molding. This could be done by hand or a cnc or there is router jigs which could make it.
woodnthings and NoThankyou like this.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What Steve said ^

As Steve said there are several ways to make each portion of the frieze in the photo. Here how to make "dentil" moldings, yes, the correct spelling!

Here's how to make the corbels:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 11:18 AM

View terryh's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducbsa View Post
Labor was cheaper back then!
And wood too.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 09:35 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Molding is often multiple pieces of different molding. It's like this cabinet in my shop. It's three strips of molding with dental molding in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2001.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	374387  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2002.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	374389  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode