How to show others what's in my head and questions about a diy dresser - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-21-2016, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

View renraw9002's Photo Album My Photos
How to show others what's in my head and questions about a diy dresser

Is there a computer program that's free to use that's better than paint (Think AutoCad like) that I can use to show my wife or other people what's in my head? I can't draw worth a crap so even using a ruler and pencil the drawing never comes out even close to what I actually have in mind and my wife just sits there, scratches her head at my confusing description of things, and then smiles and says whatever makes you happy. It would be nice if I could actually show her a rendering of what I have in mind plus I think maybe it would help me determine my shopping list.

On a separate note I'm going to be building a dresser for the first time. Don't have too many woodworking projects under my belt yet, but we are in dire need of a good new dresser and i'll be damned if i'm spending a few hundred dollars for something like that. We both agree for it to be a chest style dresser. I'm thinking maybe 8 - 10 largish drawers and 2-4 smaller drawers for things like socks and underwear. She's got an insane amount of clothing and it takes up our entire current dresser and then some.

No matter what here's my issue... I'm not good at making things pretty. Making things that can last a lifetime has always been my bread and butter, it's how I was taught to build things, it's how I've learned to build things whether it's made of wood or metal. The sides, top, bottom and possibly a vertical middle piece will all be made of 2 either 1x10s or 1x12s to make it as deep as I want. I considered using plywood, but I'd rather avoid using veneer to cover up the raw plys because that stuff just gets rubbed off over the years and starts to look not so good. However where the 2 boards join I'd like some way to cover that up or conceal it. The sides I think I can think of a few ways to cover it up and it not be obvious what i'm doing, but how to disguise the top? The whole thing will be stained either Minwax ebony or another color which I want to try to convince my wife to let me use. (don't know why she likes that ebony color so much). Also I'd like some ideas for how to pretty this thing up as I hope to use it for many years to come. Wish I could show you all what's in my head, but alas see problem #1. Any diy designs or pictures are appreciated. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-21-2016, 08:10 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
I've been able to draw, all my life. So I don't know what it's like to NOT be able to.
Don't try for "perspective" or "realism". Just draw the front view and notate it.

This is done with the "pencil" option on paint. Just as an example of a worst case scenario, you can still get a good idea of what it will look like.
Attached Images

post #3 of 6 Old 06-21-2016, 11:58 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
the landscape changes quite regularly - here's what I found today for "free cad programs"
http://cad.about.com/od/Personal_CAD...d-Packages.htm

aimed at "mechanical type" drawings. for non-linear stuff, offerings here
http://www.enkivillage.com/free-drawing-software.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-21-2016, 01:55 PM

View joek30296's Photo Album My Photos
Many folks use "Sketchup". It's free and lots of information/tutorials out there for it. Google it and see reviews, etc.

You can check it out here: http://www.sketchup.com/

"If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong!"
post #5 of 6 Old 06-23-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

View renraw9002's Photo Album My Photos
I'm trying to learn sketchup, but it's a pita to figure out how to make a dresser on it lol. Maybe it'll come in time.

Anyway does anyone know where I can see a bunch of designs for dressers and perhaps bed frames? I've tried a few places like ana-white, but nothing has really sparked my interest yet.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-23-2016, 07:33 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode