How to remove powder coating - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Packard

post #1 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
How to remove powder coating

I have a powder coated drum part that Iíd like to in-powder coat. The finish seems extremely thin and scratches through very easily. Iím pretty sure the substrate is zinc, or some kind of pot metal. Itís silver in color, but itís not steel.

Itís a kind of complicated shape, so sanding would be a pain and Iíd be concerned that heat might distort the part.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2019, 10:00 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
there is a chemical strip - B17. very very nasty stuff that was/is only available from one place, via their own delivery truck, in 55 gallon drums.....
some powder coating places may offer stripping, many do not because it is a nasty process.

sand blasting?
post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2019, 10:40 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Better locate the B17 soon, it's on the government's ban list. It is available in 5's. I agree it's the best way to remove powder coat.

Another option would be heat. The majority of the finish can be melted off with a heat gun and scraped off. Then the residue could be removed with a weaker remover. A professional place that removes baked on enamel would have a burn-off oven which can remove the finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-21-2019, 01:29 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
The finish seems extremely thin and scratches through very easily.
a photo or two would put everyone on the same page with suggestions.

are you sure it is powder coated ??
is it possible that it may have been spray painted with Rust-Oleum in the past ?

depending on the size, I would start with the least aggressive method.
CitriStrip, acetone or lacquer thinner and a toothbrush. and move up from there.

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 04-21-2019 at 01:32 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-21-2019, 05:03 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
There is MEK or Methyl Ethyl Ketone. I found some in a marine supply store out of state. Very flammable and just plain right nasty. It dissolves most paint.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #6 of 7 Old 04-22-2019, 08:45 AM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
Powder coaters have to clean off the racks that they use for electrical contact on the production line as the powder builds up and creates an electrical insulator. To do this, they "burn it off".

The polyester powder is attached to the production parts with static electricity with the parts given a negative charge and the powder given a positive charge. The static makes the powder cling to the part. At that point it goes through an oven to fuse the powder to the part. The powder fuses at 300 degrees and is allowed to cure at 400 degrees for ten minutes. The exact temperature varies by the formulation of the powder.

The "burn-off" temperature is 575 to 800 degrees Fahrenheit. Most heat guns will reach 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit, so if the part will handle the temperature, then a heat gun is the way to go.

Originally all powder coating was epoxy and it was a very, very hard finish. But it was not UV resistant and it faded badly. Today almost all powder coating is polyester, which is UV resistant but fairly soft and scratches easily.

Occasionally we get a job that calls for epoxy, but almost always because of its chemical resistance.
JamesTinKS and NoThankyou like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Packard For This Useful Post:
Tony B (04-22-2019)
post #7 of 7 Old 05-17-2019, 09:06 PM

View Mycrossover's Photo Album My Photos
If you just google "powder coat stripper" you will get a lot of hits. Apparantly, you just need the right kind of paint stripper.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode