How to make - compound contour, high volume? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-01-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
How to make - compound contour, high volume?

I have the opportunity to make many of the items shown in the attached. The trouble is, I am struggling with how to produce these in a timely manner while maintaining consistency in the shape. The issue is that these have compound contours and I am not sure how best to go about creating this based on the volume. If it were a couple, no problem, this just isn't the case here. Also, the items are kinda small as you can see and don't offer a lot of places to grab it.

What I have thought about doing is using a shaper bit or similar to produce the approximate 2-inch radius along the sides (it might actually be bigger than that) and then create a jig to introduce the workpiece at the large 27-inch arc. I have also thought about a spindle sander with the 2-inch contour, but have not found any that are not just a straight wall...other than those that conform to an already produced shape.

Any ideas or comments are most appreciated, thanks much!
Attached Images

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), Delta DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL

Last edited by ChiknNutz; 03-01-2016 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Uploaded attachment with legible dimensions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-01-2016, 04:46 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
As best as I can tell from the sketches a shaper would be good for that.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-01-2016, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Do you think it would need to be a shaper specifically or just that style of a bit? The amount of material to remove is pretty minimal, so the extra power the shaper offers is unnecessary.

Chris A.

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), Delta DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-01-2016, 05:49 PM

From what I can see it would call for some custom made cutters. This would be easier with a collar and bar shaper steel rather than having a company make three wing cutters. This is something you could fabricate yourself as you need and perhaps the design changes. Still running something like that on a shaper works a lot better than a router especially if you stand all day running parts.

I wish you had pictures of the actual parts. It's difficult to make out from the drawing the cut needed.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-01-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

I can provide a few pix later one of the actual part.

Chris A.

post #6 of 11 Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Pix of an actual handle. Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-721268806.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	220137  

Attached Images

Chris A.

post #7 of 11 Old 03-02-2016, 07:15 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
1. cut mortises (1/8 rules out mortise machine, probably router bit) while square
2. circle cutting jig for 14" top
3. circle cutting jig 27" on router table for convex sides
4. rolling jig on belt or drum sander for shaping the bottom and top edges

Last edited by TimPa; 03-02-2016 at 07:17 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-02-2016, 07:56 AM

The first picture, is such an irregular shape my first thought is CNC. For conventional equipment you could get close with a shaper but it would leave a ridge down the middle especially on the ends. You would probably have to finish the shape with a flap sander. Even done on a CNC there would have to be a follow up with a sander, it would just be less shaping and more smoothing out tool marks.

The middle picture I'm guessing it's thicker in the middle. If it's the 5.13" part it could be machined on a shaper however it would take two passes perhaps leaving a ridge down the middle. I think it would be much better to do it in one cut which would take a molder. It could be a small home model molder such as a Belsaw. More or less it would be like grinding a planer knife with a contour in the middle and setting it up with guides to send the wood through a planer shaping it.

The third picture I really have nothing on. The angle of the picture I can't make out the size. I'm guessing it's just almost round. With that much lamination the biggest problem you will have machining it with something like a shaper is everywhere there is a glue line it will eat up your tooling. It would take a carbide cutter to even attempt it however in production you would probably need enough cutters to change blades a couple times a day and have enough to have some at the sharpening shop. I think cost wise it would be best to avoid machining on this one as much as possible. Perhaps rig a template to shape it on a disc sander and rounding it over with a flap sander. The parts just may not be very consistent though. If that poses a problem you might rough it out with a sander and then use a shaper to finish the shape.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-02-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa
1. cut mortises (1/8 rules out mortise machine, probably router bit) while square 2. circle cutting jig for 14" top 3. circle cutting jig 27" on router table for convex sides 4. rolling jig on belt or drum sander for shaping the bottom and top edges
The mortises are even less than 1/8", more like .09" so yes a mortise machine won't help. Regarding your last step, I have an idea of how to do this but do you know of any examples for a rolling jig?

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

Chris A.

post #10 of 11 Old 03-02-2016, 10:21 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiknNutz View Post
The mortises are even less than 1/8", more like .09" sorry, dwg says .13 so yes a mortise machine won't help. Regarding your last step, I have an idea of how to do this but do you know of any examples for a rolling jig?

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
a permanent (clamped down) cradle with a concave curved top. the part to be profiled would sit in a carriage (second fixture) with sides that matched the curves of the bottom fixture. as you rotate the carriage the part is exposed to the sander, with the radius that is the same as the curves on the jigs.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-02-2016, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Yes, I know the drawing shows 1/8", that was a rough sketch based on memory. After I measured it, the slots are actually .09". In any case, thanks for the advice, I will see what I can come up with.

Chris A.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode