How to line up dados for dividers? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

View Burnt_Blade's Photo Album My Photos
How to line up dados for dividers?

I am attempting to build a small organizer that will have adjustable sized openings for small slips of paper, it is an improved version of an older one that is falling apart. The problem I am running into is when cutting all the tiny dado grooves for the slots. They are not lining up vertically, so the little dividers will not be able to slide into the slots properly, or at all.

I had made a jig for the mitre guage, kinda like the box joint setup, but since the slots are only 1/8" deep, the key is like a sliver, but it seemed to work not too bad but the slots just seem to creep out of alignment with the other corresponding piece.

I was thinking one way would be to try and cut the slots in the material before I cut them down to the individual pieces, but the two sections in the middle require the slots to be on both sides. Also having tough time thinking of a jig that would allow me to accomplish this with a piece that starts out at 21"x24".

Any suggestions would be welcome guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0060.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	65228  

Name:	DSC_0061.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	65229  

Name:	DSC_0062.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	65230  

Name:	office organizer.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	65231  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
You are on the right track. The concept is what I have seen others do in order to get consistent slots.

I would have used a piece of metal 1/8in rod instead of a small piece of wood. It is possible the wood flexed a little.

The spacer must be the exact width of the blade cut. As you observed, any deviation builds up across the board.

I am not sure if having two spacers would improve accuracy but worth a try.

Other jigs clamp the piece to a fence and have a screw/nut method to move the fence x rotations of the screw. Accurate, but takes some time to build.

I will try and find a link. Not sure if I saw these on this forum or another internet site.

This is a commercial version based on a similar concept. Realised by Incra last year. Variable tooth widths starting at 1/8in.

http://www.incra.com/product_rtf_ibox.html
post #3 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 06:14 PM
crosseyed & dyslexic

View Crusader's Photo Album My Photos
That's a funny forum name you gave yourself, looks like it fits
I have to admit that's one of the first things I noticed, you may need
a new blade man.
Ok, anyway enough of that. First things first, did you mark your pieces as to which end you started at? I ask because it looks as though you may be able to flip a couple of those around and they may line up? Just a thought. If that isn't it, I'm kind of stumped.
I see your indexing key there, I can't see what would throw your material off that much. Without being there and seeing what is your doing that's a hard one.
I might be inclined to start with a fresh piece of ply and do exactly what you described, run all your slots and then rip'em down.
The pieces that have slots on either side will just have to run seperately, but at least you'll already have a slot on one side to help with line up.
I hope this helps and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 06:18 PM

View Improv's Photo Album My Photos
I would make one long fence attached to a mitre (or two) and clamp two stop blocks of equal width to the same end side-by-side. The slot for every board would then be cut before leapfrogging the back stop block to the front and cutting the next slot in all the boards. This should ensure all the slots match and give you reasonable reproducibility in the gap size.

Regards,
Steve
post #5 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Running the dados on a table saw, I would make a mark on one edge of each of the parts and only run that edge against the fence instead of using a miter guage. Then cut one dado at a time on all of the parts before moving to the next dado. The space between the dados is not a critical as having them all lined up with each other.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 06:51 PM

View Danno's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Running the dados on a table saw, I would make a mark on one edge of each of the parts and only run that edge against the fence instead of using a miter guage. Then cut one dado at a time on all of the parts before moving to the next dado. The space between the dados is not a critical as having them all lined up with each other.
This is what I'd do. If your dados are equal on each end, you can flip the piece to do 2 slots on each set up
post #7 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
That's a funny forum name you gave yourself, looks like it fits
I have to admit that's one of the first things I noticed, you may need
a new blade man.
Ok, anyway enough of that. First things first, did you mark your pieces as to which end you started at? I ask because it looks as though you may be able to flip a couple of those around and they may line up? Just a thought. If that isn't it, I'm kind of stumped.
I see your indexing key there, I can't see what would throw your material off that much. Without being there and seeing what is your doing that's a hard one.
I might be inclined to start with a fresh piece of ply and do exactly what you described, run all your slots and then rip'em down.
The pieces that have slots on either side will just have to run seperately, but at least you'll already have a slot on one side to help with line up.
I hope this helps and good luck!
LOL...yeah it would seem as though I've lived up to the name! Actually, I used my Craftsman plywood blade which I've only used a few times, I notice it burned the ply right from the get go..but the fine teeth makes nice edges. Not my favourite blade but ah well, its just plywood.
Trying to fashion up a sled with a long index pin/slot will see how that works out. Didn't want to go into major production to make a jig to make such a basic project, so hopefully it comes together soon..lol.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
In this situation, I have learned that I can get better accuracy using a router. I would stack all the pieces of ply together, clamp them, and then make marks across the edges. do this on both edges of the ply. Then all you have to do is clamp your dado jig in place, and route them out. unclamp, move, clamp, route, etc...... It goes just as quick, and is IMO more accurate when dealing with tall, and narrow shelving.

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM

View guglipm63's Photo Album My Photos
Can you cut all the dados in one piece of material then rip each shelf piece from that? It might save time too
The Following User Says Thank You to guglipm63 For This Useful Post:
tcleve4911 (03-10-2013)
post #10 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 PM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
This is the second thread I have looked at today that has bulky gloves and loose clothing in close proximity to a table saw. If the blade catches the glove you will likely loose your hand! You must not have seen the video.

Sorry, I just had to say something.

Be safe!

Bret
The Following User Says Thank You to Lola Ranch For This Useful Post:
sawdustfactory (03-10-2013)
post #11 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Ranch View Post
This is the second thread I have looked at today that has bulky gloves and loose clothing in close proximity to a table saw. If the blade catches the glove you will likely loose your hand! You must not have seen the video.

Sorry, I just had to say something.

Be safe!

Bret
Appreciate the concern, but the gloves in the pic was used for when I was doing a bit of welding earlier on, never use gloves with any woodworking machines. As far as loose clothing, none of it every gets close to the blade on the TS, now snagging on various pieces of stuff around the shop, or the corner of the TS...thats a different story!
The Following User Says Thank You to Burnt_Blade For This Useful Post:
Lola Ranch (03-12-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode