How to keep router bits clean - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 8 Old 07-30-2020, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

View denisd's Photo Album My Photos
Question How to keep router bits clean

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to woodworking and it seems that I'm starting to build a collection of router bits. Seeing how expensive they are I was wondering what's used to keep the pitch and dirt off these bits so they last longer. What's used to clean them up? Thanks.

- denis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-30-2020, 10:09 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Bearing or non bearing?
post #3 of 8 Old 07-30-2020, 11:23 AM

View Jim107's Photo Album My Photos
I dunno. I have bits I've been using for years. Other than dust settling on them because they stay out, they look like they did the day I bought them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-30-2020, 11:51 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I've found that if there is some pitch build up on the face of the cutting surface it is quick and easy to take a razor blade and scrape it off. Beyond that a small brass brush to remove any thing else if it bothers me.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-30-2020, 01:48 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
NOTE: I have been told that ordinary household Formula 409 works as well as the cleaners below. When they run out, I will give Formula 409 a try.

I have two different blade and bit cleaners. One came in a set. I saw the other at a different woodworking store and decided to give it a try:

Boeshield's Blade and Bit Cleaner, bought at Rockler as part of a set:
https://www.amazon.com/BOESHIELD-BLA.../dp/B001N9YLWK

CMT Blade and Bit Cleaner, which I bought at a great local store, Austin Hardwoods:
https://www.amazon.com/CMT-Formula-B.../dp/B000BJJY5C

Both of them work equally well.

For cleaning 10 inch saw blades, I use an ordinary Home Depot bucket lid. The raised ring in the middle exposes the blade teeth for cleaning. Use a cheap plastic (or brass) brush. To remove the blade from the bucket lid, insert your finger in the blade's arbor hole.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home...5503/100037401

FYI Only:
Here is the Boeshield set that I bought at Rockler with the Blade and Bit Cleaner:
https://www.rockler.com/boeshield-3-...-and-lubricant
Note: I like and use Boeshield T-9, but I am not impressed with their Rust Free rust and stain remover that is also in the kit. It removed rust, but discolored the cast iron table on my table saw. I cleaned up the discoloration with a generous soaking of WD-40, followed by scrubbing with 3M 7448 gray Scotch-Brite pads.
umbert likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-30-2020, 01:54 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
I use a product TREND - available many places - based on a recommendation by a user here.
it works. soaking takes minutes, not days.

can't offer an opinion if it's "the best" - not used other stuff - can only relate my satisfaction with 'it works good'

soak the bits in TREND (jar/glass/whatever) - I use a brass brush (Harbor Freight...) and Q-Tips for mechanical 'scrubbing'
bought a big flat round thing to soak/clean 10" table/RA saw blades. essential procedure if you're ripping pine/fir 'dimensional' lumber from the big box stores.

router bit or saw blade, the pitch/tar/whatever from softwoods goops up a blade and continued use fills the shop with smoke....
the heat=the smoke generated,,,, is what kills your edged tools.

also creates "forcing the work piece" situations - which is know to easily creates "oops, there's blood all over....."
so keeping your blades/bits clean in most definitely worth the couple minutes it takes.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-30-2020, 07:18 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
If there no bearing you can drop them in lacquer thinner. If there bearing you can disassemble and do the same minus the bearing... if you have been cleaning and the bearing seem stiff you can drop the whole assembly into pnuematic oil....
post #8 of 8 Old 07-30-2020, 10:28 PM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
I toss mine in an ultrasonic cleaning tank that normally gets used for carburetor parts and chainsaw chains...I use simple green in the tank and everything comes out spotless. Whatever you use, follow Rebel's advice about disassembling the bearings before cleaning...it's usually just a simple allen screw that needs to be removed.

I'd also suggest a light coat of oil after cleaning to prevent surface rust from forming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode