Woodworking Talk banner

How to fix this - 1/8'' mess up

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rvi17 
#1 ·
Hi,

So I just finished building a simple plywood dresser, and in one of the corners I found this (attached).

Can I fix this?
Add a piece without it looking terrible?
Thanks.
Raz

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You can either .......

You could make a tapered wedge from the same plywood and glue it on, then plane or sand it flush.

You can make a wedge from hardwood and glue it on.

You can use a router and a guide to clean up the edge and also make a parallel notch, no taper, and then glue in a slightly over size strip and hand plane it flush. This would be my approach.

If it will show, then plywood would be my choice.
If it's going to be painted, that will help conceal the "fix".

:vs_cool:

#6 ·
The dresser is finished ....

Hi,

So I just finished building a simple plywood dresser, and in one of the corners I found this (attached).

Can I fix this?
Add a piece without it looking terrible?
Thanks.
Raz
I would straighten the edge and glue a strip of identical ply to it, there is so little grain pattern it would likely not even be noticeable, then recut the panel to fit.

Since it's finished, this makes it more difficult to recut the panel. Hand tools or a router would be a better solution. A sharp chisel that could be used to create a square parallel edge OR just clean up the wedged shaped edge that's there would be the minimum approach.

A router would be a more advanced solution and could result in a more precise edge if used with a guide.

#7 ·
Since it's finished, this makes it more difficult to recut the panel. Hand tools or a router would be a better solution. A sharp chisel that could be used to create a square parallel edge OR just clean up the wedged shaped edge that's there would be the minimum approach.

A router would be a more advanced solution and could result in a more precise edge if used with a guide.
Better solution than what, I never mentioned any particular tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.