• 1 Post By jmesberg
  • 1 Post By difalkner
  • 3 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By Pineknot_86

post #1 of 12 Old 07-30-2018, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

View jmesberg's Photo Album My Photos
How to find better plans online

Hi all,
I'm a new forum member and a new woodworker as well. I've build a couple of projects, both from Fine Woodworking site/magazine, and while the plans were quite good (clear instructions, good cut list, useful photos, etc.) I was very frustrated that the schematics for the parts (esp. those that had fairly complicated curves) were just provided as images embedded in the pdf. In order to scale them up to make a template for bandsawing I had to go through all kinds of silly gyrations on my computer.

Can anyone point me to sources high quality woodworking plans that come with attachments to print out full size templates of the components?

Thanks much,

John
braybon778 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Hi John, and welcome to the forum! When you get a minute add your location to your profile.

I've never bought plans so wouldn't know where to look. What are you wanting to build?

David
braybon778 likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 12 Old 07-30-2018, 11:10 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmesberg View Post
Hi all,
I'm a new forum member and a new woodworker as well. I've build a couple of projects, both from Fine Woodworking site/magazine, and while the plans were quite good (clear instructions, good cut list, useful photos, etc.) I was very frustrated that the schematics for the parts (esp. those that had fairly complicated curves) were just provided as images embedded in the pdf. In order to scale them up to make a template for bandsawing I had to go through all kinds of silly gyrations on my computer.

Can anyone point me to sources high quality woodworking plans that come with attachments to print out full size templates of the components?

Thanks much,

John
John, first let me make you aware of a guy named Ted that sells plans on the net. His plans are not very good, in fact, they are bad. He operates just inside the law so just be aware.

One place for you to look is You-Tube. When they show you how to build something a lot of them sell the plans and some even give them away. Also, there are wood magazines. You can buy plans from them and they do have some free plans. Woodsmith has some plans you might like. You can get them online. Keep us aware of what you are building and ask questions if needed. We really like pictures too.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-31-2018, 12:15 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
John, first let me make you aware of a guy named Ted that sells plans on the net. His plans are not very good, in fact, they are bad. He operates just inside the law so just be aware.

One place for you to look is You-Tube. When they show you how to build something a lot of them sell the plans and some even give them away. Also, there are wood magazines. You can buy plans from them and they do have some free plans. Woodsmith has some plans you might like. You can get them online. Keep us aware of what you are building and ask questions if needed. We really like pictures too.
Not only that Ted's site comes with a free computer virus.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-31-2018, 08:56 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Not only that Ted's site comes with a free computer virus.
I am surprised Ted doesn't charge extra for a virus.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-01-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

View jmesberg's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for this input folks. I guess I need to clarify my question though. I'm not having trouble finding plans....there are plans everywhere (and yes of course a million on youtube)! I'm having trouble finding a source for good plans that include full sketch-up files or at least full scale parts schematics so I don't need to 'scale up' tiny schematics in some pdf from a magazine article.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. Hope I get some pointers.

John
post #7 of 12 Old 08-02-2018, 01:50 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I think you will find that market is rather limited and expensive for good reason. Most people here and elsewhere tend to draw their own plans either from original ideas or using existing photos or drawings and enlarging them. That is part of the hobby and with practice not that hard to do, all in a days work either by hand or with a computer.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #8 of 12 Old 08-02-2018, 06:55 PM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
Just a suggestion, jmesberg, but you might want to continue scaling whatever plans you find to whatever size you need. It's tedious, but sometimes it's the only way to get something in the size that you need. Templates can be handy, but for a one-off piece, I draw my cut lines directly on the wood. If duplicate pieces are needed, I use the finished first one to trace onto the next pieces of wood.

FWIW, I use an old Gerber Variable Scale for scaling drawings from photos, magazine plans, etc.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-03-2018, 11:20 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I want to add my own warning about Ted's Plans. It is a complete and utter scam.

My warning is that it isn't always called "Ted's Plans." The important words are "thousands" and "plans." Whenever I see the words "thousands" and "plans" together in a sentence with a link, it is surely another variant of the same scam.

Unscrupulous scammers are eager to make (steal!) money from this scam because "Ted" gives them a big cut of the profits. They make their own web links and try to disguise them, to trick unsuspecting victims. People have been warned about Ted's Plans, so the scammers change the words and try to hide what they are doing. When the web site is ready, they spam the woodworking forums like a phishing attack, trying to make posts that seem to fit in, always with the goal of putting their malicious web links in front of as many eyeballs as they can before the forum moderators toss them off. Hit and run is probably a good description of what they do.

It is a war of attrition, and there are more scammers with more patience than there are moderators with the time to deal with them. The scammers are like ants at a picnic. Eventually they will ruin these forums, the same way that they have forced us to stop answering our own phones. :-(
post #10 of 12 Old 08-04-2018, 02:28 AM

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
If I want a drawing of parts from a free plan big enough I go to my local printshop and have them enlarge and print to the scale I need. Or if I am visiting my sister who lives about 25 miles from me I use her pantograph she has setup on a drafting table and make my own up to the scale I need. I dont have the room or I setup my own pantograph setup. Plenty of DIY pantographs setups on the web.

Marlin
post #11 of 12 Old 08-04-2018, 10:38 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Woodcraft has plans available on their website and in the stores. Woodcraft magazine is good and Wood magazine is good, also. If you have a big box store as Books-A-Million, look on their magazine rack or books for what you want. The local library might have books. Get the website for the library and search without leaving the house. Note the book location numbers to save time. Good luck.
mjadams61 likes this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Sketchup has a library of plans people have shared, have you looked that up to see if anything fits your wants?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode