Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Woodworking Discussion (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/)
-   -   How to find better plans online (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/how-find-better-plans-online-206102/)

jmesberg 07-30-2018 03:50 PM

How to find better plans online
 
Hi all,
I'm a new forum member and a new woodworker as well. I've build a couple of projects, both from Fine Woodworking site/magazine, and while the plans were quite good (clear instructions, good cut list, useful photos, etc.) I was very frustrated that the schematics for the parts (esp. those that had fairly complicated curves) were just provided as images embedded in the pdf. In order to scale them up to make a template for bandsawing I had to go through all kinds of silly gyrations on my computer.

Can anyone point me to sources high quality woodworking plans that come with attachments to print out full size templates of the components?

Thanks much,

John

difalkner 07-30-2018 03:54 PM

Hi John, and welcome to the forum! When you get a minute add your location to your profile.

I've never bought plans so wouldn't know where to look. What are you wanting to build?

David

hawkeye10 07-30-2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmesberg (Post 1999848)
Hi all,
I'm a new forum member and a new woodworker as well. I've build a couple of projects, both from Fine Woodworking site/magazine, and while the plans were quite good (clear instructions, good cut list, useful photos, etc.) I was very frustrated that the schematics for the parts (esp. those that had fairly complicated curves) were just provided as images embedded in the pdf. In order to scale them up to make a template for bandsawing I had to go through all kinds of silly gyrations on my computer.

Can anyone point me to sources high quality woodworking plans that come with attachments to print out full size templates of the components?

Thanks much,

John

John, first let me make you aware of a guy named Ted that sells plans on the net. His plans are not very good, in fact, they are bad. He operates just inside the law so just be aware.

One place for you to look is You-Tube. When they show you how to build something a lot of them sell the plans and some even give them away. Also, there are wood magazines. You can buy plans from them and they do have some free plans. Woodsmith has some plans you might like. You can get them online. Keep us aware of what you are building and ask questions if needed. We really like pictures too.

Steve Neul 07-31-2018 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeye10 (Post 1999920)
John, first let me make you aware of a guy named Ted that sells plans on the net. His plans are not very good, in fact, they are bad. He operates just inside the law so just be aware.

One place for you to look is You-Tube. When they show you how to build something a lot of them sell the plans and some even give them away. Also, there are wood magazines. You can buy plans from them and they do have some free plans. Woodsmith has some plans you might like. You can get them online. Keep us aware of what you are building and ask questions if needed. We really like pictures too.

Not only that Ted's site comes with a free computer virus.

hawkeye10 07-31-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Neul (Post 1999930)
Not only that Ted's site comes with a free computer virus.

I am surprised Ted doesn't charge extra for a virus. :sad2:

jmesberg 08-01-2018 05:28 PM

Thanks for this input folks. I guess I need to clarify my question though. I'm not having trouble finding plans....there are plans everywhere (and yes of course a million on youtube)! I'm having trouble finding a source for good plans that include full sketch-up files or at least full scale parts schematics so I don't need to 'scale up' tiny schematics in some pdf from a magazine article.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. Hope I get some pointers.

John

FrankC 08-02-2018 01:50 PM

I think you will find that market is rather limited and expensive for good reason. Most people here and elsewhere tend to draw their own plans either from original ideas or using existing photos or drawings and enlarging them. That is part of the hobby and with practice not that hard to do, all in a days work either by hand or with a computer.

Stevedore 08-02-2018 06:55 PM

Just a suggestion, jmesberg, but you might want to continue scaling whatever plans you find to whatever size you need. It's tedious, but sometimes it's the only way to get something in the size that you need. Templates can be handy, but for a one-off piece, I draw my cut lines directly on the wood. If duplicate pieces are needed, I use the finished first one to trace onto the next pieces of wood.

FWIW, I use an old Gerber Variable Scale for scaling drawings from photos, magazine plans, etc.

Tool Agnostic 08-03-2018 11:20 AM

I want to add my own warning about Ted's Plans. It is a complete and utter scam.

My warning is that it isn't always called "Ted's Plans." The important words are "thousands" and "plans." Whenever I see the words "thousands" and "plans" together in a sentence with a link, it is surely another variant of the same scam.

Unscrupulous scammers are eager to make (steal!) money from this scam because "Ted" gives them a big cut of the profits. They make their own web links and try to disguise them, to trick unsuspecting victims. People have been warned about Ted's Plans, so the scammers change the words and try to hide what they are doing. When the web site is ready, they spam the woodworking forums like a phishing attack, trying to make posts that seem to fit in, always with the goal of putting their malicious web links in front of as many eyeballs as they can before the forum moderators toss them off. Hit and run is probably a good description of what they do.

It is a war of attrition, and there are more scammers with more patience than there are moderators with the time to deal with them. The scammers are like ants at a picnic. Eventually they will ruin these forums, the same way that they have forced us to stop answering our own phones. :-(

mjadams61 08-04-2018 02:28 AM

If I want a drawing of parts from a free plan big enough I go to my local printshop and have them enlarge and print to the scale I need. Or if I am visiting my sister who lives about 25 miles from me I use her pantograph she has setup on a drafting table and make my own up to the scale I need. I dont have the room or I setup my own pantograph setup. Plenty of DIY pantographs setups on the web.

Pineknot_86 08-04-2018 10:38 AM

Woodcraft has plans available on their website and in the stores. Woodcraft magazine is good and Wood magazine is good, also. If you have a big box store as Books-A-Million, look on their magazine rack or books for what you want. The local library might have books. Get the website for the library and search without leaving the house. Note the book location numbers to save time. Good luck.

Gary Beasley 08-04-2018 10:48 AM

Sketchup has a library of plans people have shared, have you looked that up to see if anything fits your wants?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome