How far out is too far (on the diagonals)? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By mikechell
  • 2 Post By freedhardwoods
  • 1 Post By Alchymist

post #1 of 19 Old 06-29-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
How far out is too far (on the diagonals)?

12 X 20 shed going up, took a lot of care to keep everything level, plumb and square. 3 sides covered, 4th open yet, ready to install rafters. Diagonals are off by just under 2". Worth pulling straight, or will it not be a problem installing steel roofing. Seriously thinking of trying to pull it into square and adding a few braces, if only so I can say it's square. I doubt anyone would know, but I would if I didn't fix it.
Attached Images

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-29-2017, 09:45 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't change it if it were mine. I often have that happen working by myself with nobody to help me measure. Your overhang will vary from one end to another. That is really all it will hurt. You might alter your design and let the overhang be a couple inches bigger to insure it doesn't get too small at the other end. You could also let each sheet of metal extend past the previous a 1/2" or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Alchymist (06-29-2017)
post #3 of 19 Old 06-29-2017, 10:28 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It may not move?

With the sheathing on, I don't know IF you can move it that much?
You say it's plumb and square, but it's really a parallelogram OR maybe a trapezoid? Determine which side is not square OR maybe which side is longer? Got a good tape measure and a safe ladder?
Hook it at the top and be on the ground to sight your measurements.

That would cause it to not be equal on the diagonals. You probably have a "perfectionist" gene in your ancestry, like I do and want to fix it, and I don't blame you. If you try and succeed, great. If not, Oh Well.

You can do a lot with a nail and a plumb bob. Leave an inch of bare nail on the top plate and see if there is an inch of space at the bottom. Then you'll need a come along and some chain to pull the long side in. ....just some basic woodworking equipment.
Kerrys likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 06-29-2017, 10:48 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
2"??

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #5 of 19 Old 06-29-2017, 11:05 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I hung drywall in a shed in Texas for a friend and along the way I realized there was nothing square about the place. One sheet of 4x8 would almost always need 3" cut from one side of the 4' edge and maybe a 1/4" on the other side and so it went all the way around. I remember watching the guys working on it and I'm not convinced they knew what a square was at all. The ridge pole wasn't one straight piece, but rather 8 or 9 individual short pieces with a nifty 4" dip in the roof..
I got it together and taped up then lived in it for around 7 years with no problems, but it twere no fun getting it there..
Truth be told I'm glad I no longer live there, but it got me through some lean days of my life..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #6 of 19 Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
In perspective:
20 feet = 240 inches
12 feet = 144 inches

2 inches is 1.4% error on the short side.

2 inches is .8% error on the long side.

WELL within an acceptable margin.
Toolman50 and Rodrat like this.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-29-2017, 11:38 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
1/4" is acceptable.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #8 of 19 Old 06-30-2017, 05:11 AM

View freedhardwoods's Photo Album My Photos
Pulling the top of the walls into square would take almost no effort. You are pulling against the corners, not all the nails in the sheathing. Since the top plate is higher on the unsheathed wall, you have to sheath the corners and over the headers of the wall first or you will just bend the 2x4's.

Put a come-a-long on the long diagonal and give it just a little pressure. You only need to pull the long side in 1". The short side will go out one inch when you do.
woodnthings and Toolman50 like this.

Last edited by freedhardwoods; 06-30-2017 at 05:36 AM.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-30-2017, 07:57 AM

View J.C.'s Photo Album My Photos
2" is a lot. You should be able to get that simple, little thing just about perfect. However, you should have had it braced before you put the plywood on.

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley
post #10 of 19 Old 06-30-2017, 08:09 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Unless you plan on a very small overhang, it probably will not be noticeable.

George
post #11 of 19 Old 06-30-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
1/4" is acceptable.
1/4" on the diagonal? I'd settle for 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
2" is a lot. You should be able to get that simple, little thing just about perfect. However, you should have had it braced before you put the plywood on.
You mean like in the picture? All the 2Xs in the framing were used lumber except for the studs. The plywood sheathing was also used, but came out right on the money on the four corners, so those dimensions were pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Unless you plan on a very small overhang, it probably will not be noticeable.

George
Overhang will be about 10" each side. If I can't get the diagonals closer, I guess I could trim the ends of the sheet steel if it runs out. Only 14 sheets, could do. You know, paint and putty cover up a multitude of sins.
Attached Images

post #12 of 19 Old 06-30-2017, 12:46 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with FreedHardWoods. You really only need to get an inch. I'd try cranking it with a come along and see if it squares up. You may need to go a tad over an inch since it will probably spring back some, but I'd try that, brace it and keep on keepin' on.

I'm assuming, we're talking about the diagonals at the top of the walls, not at the foundation, right?
post #13 of 19 Old 06-30-2017, 01:12 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
as mentioned, depends on what surface you are referring to being out of square. I assumed you meant the wall, say a view of the back wall, or side wall. if it is the top plate, birds eye view, than you can pull that square. unsquare walls (causing unplumb walls) will cause some problems when you fit doors and/or windows. and anything else related to wall usage.

unfortunately, I am ocd so it 1/4" or less for me. took me 18 years to build my house for that reason.... if I was there I would help you tear off the sheathing to start over.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-30-2017, 01:28 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Tall, unsheathed wall...right?

If the diagonals are not equal, then either of two things is wonky.

1. The side walls are not plumb presently, and when you pull the top plate inwards they will either be more out of plumb or more in.

2. The ends of the front, unsheathed wall are not of equal height. If they were built on the floor with equal length studs, that's not likely. If the studs were nailed in place then more likely.... ?

Check both side walls right at the front corner for plumb and see what they read. This ain't rocket surgery, so you can make it better without too much trouble. :smile3:

If you don't have a come along, drive a substantial stake into the ground about 8 ft away and brace a 2 x 4 against the wall at the top to push it plumb. Once it's good, toe nail it in place until you can properly brace it. Proper diagonal bracing is "let in" to each stud as it passes over them making the brace flush for the sheathing.
Sheathing alone will brace it, but it aughta be plumb first, then nailed. The 4 X 8 sheathing can be used as large square, better than a 24" framing square in the corners.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #15 of 19 Old 06-30-2017, 05:47 PM

View freedhardwoods's Photo Album My Photos
I assumed you meant the diagonals of the top plates since you didn't mention any specific wall. That is normal to have to pull those square after standing the walls up.

If you meant individual walls are out of square, they aren't moving til you get the sheathing off.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-30-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If the diagonals are not equal, then either of two things is wonky.

1. The side walls are not plumb presently, and when you pull the top plate inwards they will either be more out of plumb or more in.

2. The ends of the front, unsheathed wall are not of equal height. If they were built on the floor with equal length studs, that's not likely. If the studs were nailed in place then more likely.... ?

Check both side walls right at the front corner for plumb and see what they read. This ain't rocket surgery, so you can make it better without too much trouble. :smile3:

If you don't have a come along, drive a substantial stake into the ground about 8 ft away and brace a 2 x 4 against the wall at the top to push it plumb. Once it's good, toe nail it in place until you can properly brace it. Proper diagonal bracing is "let in" to each stud as it passes over them making the brace flush for the sheathing.
Sheathing alone will brace it, but it aughta be plumb first, then nailed. The 4 X 8 sheathing can be used as large square, better than a 24" framing square in the corners.
All walls were built on the floor with equal length studs. Wall corners are pretty much plumb all four corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedhardwoods View Post
I assumed you meant the diagonals of the top plates since you didn't mention any specific wall. That is normal to have to pull those square after standing the walls up.

If you meant individual walls are out of square, they aren't moving til you get the sheathing off.
Yes, it's the diagonals on the top plate.

Update - decided I would take a shot at fixing the discrepancy - took a pair of tie down straps corner to corner on the long wall and pulled it in a tad over an inch. Going to leave the straps in place until rafters set and a couple diagonals nailed to the underside of them.
freedhardwoods likes this.

post #17 of 19 Old 07-01-2017, 12:00 PM

View J.C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Did you check the diagonals on the floor framing before putting up the walls? If the floor framing was also out 2", you'd probably be better off keeping the top of the walls out 2" as well. You'll knock the walls out of plumb if the base isn't square and I think I'd rather have plumb walls than a half square building.

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley

Last edited by J.C.; 07-01-2017 at 12:07 PM.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-01-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Floor was checked several times - when blocks were placed, when joists were laid, and when plywood was installed. Diagonals were within 1/4" when walls started. Not my first rodeo on construction.

post #19 of 19 Old 08-06-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Been neglecting the pics and posting, update. Outside pic shows some of the trim being installed; as of today all trim is on and tomorrow starts the paint job. last two are quick shots of the inside while I'm working out parking arrangements. Electric is in, one 120 @20 amps for outlet, one @ 15 for lights. (240 feed from garage). Next comes installing lots of shelving.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode