How do you think I should glue this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 14Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 01-18-2020, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
How do you think I should glue this?

Don't like to take work home with me but I've got to glue a few newels together and I'm trying to think of the best way to do it. They've been cut to a twenty six degree angle but since my saw is only ten inches I couldn't go all the way through. I'll clean it up with a plane on Monday. What do you think the best way to glue these is together? I plan on putting something in it to keep the together but it's more a matter of what as well as clamping.

-T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200117_143220.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	383705  

Name:	IMG_20200117_155108.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	383707  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-18-2020, 07:08 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What's getting glued to what?

I see the single angled piece, but what does it get glued to? How many pieces in total get glued together. What's the final shape? Need more inforation for this to make sense......

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 33 Old 01-18-2020, 08:45 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I have used a bungee cord for drawers.
johnep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 01-18-2020, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Generic Weeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep View Post
I have used a bungee cord for drawers.
johnep

That's not a bad idea, thanks mate

-T
post #5 of 33 Old 01-18-2020, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Generic Weeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I see the single angled piece, but what does it get glued to? How many pieces in total get glued together. What's the final shape? Need more inforation for this to make sense......
That's what the top picture was for to show that I'm cutting two pieces and to that shape and gluing them. I get that some people need more of a visual picture, my bad. This good?

-T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Newel.png
Views:	21
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	383729  

post #6 of 33 Old 01-18-2020, 04:39 PM

View kroll524's Photo Album My Photos
What if you did say book match, cut them both at the same time.Then open it up like a book,even if your off little the cuts will match,and if your blade is not at a perfect 90* doing the book match the edges still will match. Wish I could explain this better. Even if you make the cut with a skilsaw both edges will match match doing the book match
post #7 of 33 Old 01-18-2020, 05:02 PM
where's my table saw?

So, how many segments?

I'd glue them in pairs, then glue the pairs together until you have halves. Then glue the halves together. The issue will be how to keep them from sliding while you apply pressure. I would nail some brads into one piece and snip off the ends leaving about 1/4" with sharp points. Then locate them together in their proper relationship and wrap them with large truck inner tube strips or surgical tubing or bungees..... electrical tape because it stretches?

That's all I got ....................
Tony B likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 33 Old 01-18-2020, 05:45 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I used to use tons of surgical tubing in furniture repairs, especially table and chair legs.
Not cheap but excellent for what it is used for. no knots necessary.
It should work fine for columns
WeebyWoodWorker likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #9 of 33 Old 01-18-2020, 05:56 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I am with woodsnthings. I still do not understand what is your problem??? Is it how to clamp the two pieces together?

George
post #10 of 33 Old 01-18-2020, 07:57 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
You could make cauls to create parallel clamping surfaces on either side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E2048564-AADF-4A3B-BFC9-043A5FFEB32F.jpeg (79.8 KB, 32 views)
post #11 of 33 Old 01-18-2020, 08:16 PM
where's my table saw?

Take two extras to use as cauls.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
You could make cauls to create parallel clamping surfaces on either side.

By using two extras, the angles will ultimately be parallel if you place them on either side of the existing segments. Try it and see.....

post #12 of 33 Old 01-19-2020, 02:34 PM

View LilysDad's Photo Album My Photos
First you can lay out some parallel strips of tape sticky side up. Then the parts are laid out side by side on the tape so that they can be rolled up into the tube that you desire. Then for clamping, find some of those cheap 1" tarp straps that aren't good for tarp straps.

Incidentally, how many sides does your assembly have? I made an octagon that had joints that were 45degrees. Half of 45 is 22 1/2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-Inch-Ratchet-Strap.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	383769  

post #13 of 33 Old 01-19-2020, 03:37 PM

View Frost's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a big fan of packaging tape to at least hold the pieces together while you clamp it. Do a search for " miter fold" and you'll see it. Basically, lay the pieces side by side with long points touching and facing up. Lay down a strip of tape spanning each piece, you'll then see that you can fold them together and tape will keep them aligned. Turn them over, apply glue and fold them together. Then add some clamps, tubing or just wraps of tape. Also, those offcuts from when you ripped those pieces can be used on the outside to make 2 parallel edges for clamping, hot glue them in place, or maybe packaging tape will suffice there as well.

Whatever you do, be sure to practice before glueing.. Good luck
post #14 of 33 Old 01-19-2020, 03:38 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Hot melt the offcuts to outside so you will have parallel sides to clamp, perhaps drive some small brads into the mating surfaces, cut the heads off so 1/32" or so is protruding to keep parts from sliding out of alignment.
Quickstep likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
Quickstep (01-20-2020)
post #15 of 33 Old 01-25-2020, 12:51 PM
Mossback

View TobyC's Photo Album My Photos
Make them one piece.
post #16 of 33 Old 01-25-2020, 05:59 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with lilsdad on this one. We use tape for miter folding or multi sided glueups. Advantages are many. You get to do all the gluing in one pass. Clamp with something stretchy. Innertube, bungee, surgical tube Ö If you make the miters so the points touch just a bit sooner you will get a better result. BTW 26 degrees seems like an odd angle?? Cut short sample parts first and do a trial fitup.
woodnthings likes this.
post #17 of 33 Old 01-25-2020, 06:04 PM
where's my table saw?

Why 26 degrees?

360 divided by 26 gives 13.84 pieces ....... HUH?
You may want to use 22.5 degrees. 360 divided by 22.5 equals 16 pieces, typically used for segmented frames, bowls, columns etc.

post #18 of 33 Old 01-25-2020, 07:14 PM

How did segmented parts even get into this discussion, it would appear that OP had two parts to glue together.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
post #19 of 33 Old 01-25-2020, 07:43 PM
where's my table saw?

I asked the question two times .....

Quote:
I'd glue them in pairs, then glue the pairs together until you have halves. Then glue the halves together. The issue will be how to keep them from sliding while you apply pressure. I would nail some brads into one piece and snip off the ends leaving about 1/4" with sharp points. Then locate them together in their proper relationship and wrap them with large truck inner tube strips or surgical tubing or bungees..... electrical tape because it stretches?
That's all I got ....................

There was no objection to this nor an explanation either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Schweitzer View Post
I'm with lilsdad on this one. We use tape for miter folding or multi sided glueups. Advantages are many. You get to do all the gluing in one pass. Clamp with something stretchy. Innertube, bungee, surgical tube Ö If you make the miters so the points touch just a bit sooner you will get a better result. BTW 26 degrees seems like an odd angle?? Cut short sample parts first and do a trial fitup.

Same with this reply.

Quote:

No answer to this.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
How did segmented parts even get into this discussion, it would appear that OP had two parts to glue together.

It's a newel post, so a goofy shape if there is only one glued up section. There was confusion because there was no answer to the "how many segments" question.

post #20 of 33 Old 01-25-2020, 07:56 PM

Guess you missed post #5.

FrankC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode