Woodworking Talk banner

How do you think I should glue this?

2K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  WeebyWoodWorker 
#1 ·
Don't like to take work home with me but I've got to glue a few newels together and I'm trying to think of the best way to do it. They've been cut to a twenty six degree angle but since my saw is only ten inches I couldn't go all the way through. I'll clean it up with a plane on Monday. What do you think the best way to glue these is together? I plan on putting something in it to keep the together but it's more a matter of what as well as clamping.

-T

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What's getting glued to what?

I see the single angled piece, but what does it get glued to? How many pieces in total get glued together. What's the final shape? Need more inforation for this to make sense......

#5 ·
I see the single angled piece, but what does it get glued to? How many pieces in total get glued together. What's the final shape? Need more inforation for this to make sense......
That's what the top picture was for to show that I'm cutting two pieces and to that shape and gluing them. I get that some people need more of a visual picture, my bad. This good?

-T

Attachments

#6 ·
What if you did say book match, cut them both at the same time.Then open it up like a book,even if your off little the cuts will match,and if your blade is not at a perfect 90* doing the book match the edges still will match. Wish I could explain this better. Even if you make the cut with a skilsaw both edges will match match doing the book match

#7 ·
So, how many segments?

I'd glue them in pairs, then glue the pairs together until you have halves. Then glue the halves together. The issue will be how to keep them from sliding while you apply pressure. I would nail some brads into one piece and snip off the ends leaving about 1/4" with sharp points. Then locate them together in their proper relationship and wrap them with large truck inner tube strips or surgical tubing or bungees..... electrical tape because it stretches?

That's all I got .................... :vs_cool:

Reactions: Tony B
#19 ·
I asked the question two times .....

I'd glue them in pairs, then glue the pairs together until you have halves. Then glue the halves together. The issue will be how to keep them from sliding while you apply pressure. I would nail some brads into one piece and snip off the ends leaving about 1/4" with sharp points. Then locate them together in their proper relationship and wrap them with large truck inner tube strips or surgical tubing or bungees..... electrical tape because it stretches?
That's all I got .................... :vs_cool:

There was no objection to this nor an explanation either.

I'm with lilsdad on this one. We use tape for miter folding or multi sided glueups. Advantages are many. You get to do all the gluing in one pass. Clamp with something stretchy. Innertube, bungee, surgical tube … If you make the miters so the points touch just a bit sooner you will get a better result. BTW 26 degrees seems like an odd angle?? Cut short sample parts first and do a trial fitup.

Same with this reply.

No answer to this.^

How did segmented parts even get into this discussion, it would appear that OP had two parts to glue together.

It's a newel post, so a goofy shape if there is only one glued up section. There was confusion because there was no answer to the "how many segments" question. :|

#11 ·
Take two extras to use as cauls.....

By using two extras, the angles will ultimately be parallel if you place them on either side of the existing segments. Try it and see.....

:vs_cool:

#12 ·
First you can lay out some parallel strips of tape sticky side up. Then the parts are laid out side by side on the tape so that they can be rolled up into the tube that you desire. Then for clamping, find some of those cheap 1" tarp straps that aren't good for tarp straps.

Incidentally, how many sides does your assembly have? I made an octagon that had joints that were 45degrees. Half of 45 is 22 1/2.

Attachments

#23 ·
First you can lay out some parallel strips of tape sticky side up. Then the parts are laid out side by side on the tape so that they can be rolled up into the tube that you desire. Then for clamping, find some of those cheap 1" tarp straps that aren't good for tarp straps.

Incidentally, how many sides does your assembly have? I made an octagon that had joints that were 45degrees. Half of 45 is 22 1/2.

It's only two pieces, but for gluing a larger segments such as octagons those clamps are great!

-T

#13 ·
I'm a big fan of packaging tape to at least hold the pieces together while you clamp it. Do a search for " miter fold" and you'll see it. Basically, lay the pieces side by side with long points touching and facing up. Lay down a strip of tape spanning each piece, you'll then see that you can fold them together and tape will keep them aligned. Turn them over, apply glue and fold them together. Then add some clamps, tubing or just wraps of tape. Also, those offcuts from when you ripped those pieces can be used on the outside to make 2 parallel edges for clamping, hot glue them in place, or maybe packaging tape will suffice there as well.

Whatever you do, be sure to practice before glueing.. Good luck

#16 ·
I'm with lilsdad on this one. We use tape for miter folding or multi sided glueups. Advantages are many. You get to do all the gluing in one pass. Clamp with something stretchy. Innertube, bungee, surgical tube … If you make the miters so the points touch just a bit sooner you will get a better result. BTW 26 degrees seems like an odd angle?? Cut short sample parts first and do a trial fitup.

#17 ·
Why 26 degrees?

360 divided by 26 gives 13.84 pieces ....... HUH?
You may want to use 22.5 degrees. 360 divided by 22.5 equals 16 pieces, typically used for segmented frames, bowls, columns etc.

:vs_cool:

#21 ·
I would run a cut down the inside of each one with a router and cut a spline groove. Probably a 1/4" x 3/8" or so groove would suffice. It will register the alignment and give the joint some integrity. I would probably do the glue up with epoxy. To clamp it, attach the cutoffs from the angle cuts with double sided masking tape, or tack them on. That will allow you to use clamping pressure straight across the pieces.

#25 ·
I used a three sixteenths spline all the way down the piece to make sure it matches up. Makes the glue up way easier as I didn't have to worry about it slipping al around. Ended up cutting a bunch of small blocks at a matching angle and taped them on.

-T

#26 ·
I ended up cutting a bunch of blocks at a matching twenty six degree angle and clamped it that way. A three sixteenths inch spline going all the way down the center was added to make sure they lined up. Went together pretty well. Sand and finish is tomorrow.

-T

Attachments

#32 · (Edited)
Weeby - this is my personal pet peeve - - - -
when a forum is chock-full of engineers, architects, astrophysicists, designers,
architects, and NASA Rocket Scientists, the simplest of questions quickly get
derailed into meeting all kinds of physical specifications delving deep into
algebra, trigonometry, geometry, aerospace engineering, yada yada yada.
sometimes too much Hot Toddy is involved.
glad to see you got it figured out. looking forward to seeing your finished project.
( what kind of glue is that ?? )

Architecture Wood Marble Rock Flooring

#33 ·
Weeby - this is my personal pet peeve - - - -
when a forum is chock-full of engineers, architects, astrophysicists, designers,
architects, and NASA Rocket Scientists, the simplest of questions quickly get
derailed into meeting all kinds of physical specifications delving deep into
algebra, trigonometry, geometry, aerospace engineering, yada yada yada.
sometimes too much Hot Toddy is involved.
glad to see you got it figured out. looking forward to seeing your finished project.
( what kind of glue is that ?? )

View attachment 384139

It's called "Wonderbond" basically just generic white glue like Elmers glue. Don't know too much about as I don't buy it. Got two fifty five gallon drums of it at work so I assume it's cheap in bulk. I'm a bit messy when it comes to glue ups for it tends to get everywhere...

-T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.