How do you roof a steep roof - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By sanchez
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By JIMMIEM

post #1 of 13 Old 03-09-2018, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
How do you roof a steep roof

I've only had to do that once and I made a scaffolding which was suspended by ropes from the other side of the house. I was watching some professional roofers today and they were nailing 2x4's all over the finished part of the roof to stand on. Looks like the roof would leak all over from all the nail holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-09-2018, 12:30 AM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Roof Jack's and planks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 03-09-2018, 12:38 AM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
I pay somebody else once it's past 6/12.
Catpower likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-09-2018, 12:52 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Steve, I would think they are nailing the 2x4's under some of the flaps where water can't get to it. Yes, they do use jacks and they have to be nailed also. They use ropes, and pieces of thick foam to sit on. There are specials shoes you can buy with soles that help you stay on a roof. A roofer showed me how far he could bend his foot toward his shin. It was unreal how far he could bend it.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-09-2018, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
Steve, I would think they are nailing the 2x4's under some of the flaps where water can't get to it. Yes, they do use jacks and they have to be nailed also. They use ropes, and pieces of thick foam to sit on. There are specials shoes you can buy with soles that help you stay on a roof. A roofer showed me how far he could bend his foot toward his shin. It was unreal how far he could bend it.
These guys weren't nailing the 2x4's under the shingles, they were nailing them straight to the finished roof. This is what got me to shaking my head. I guess they figure the roof being at a steep angle wouldn't leak much.

I had never seed a roof jack before. When I did the roof I did I built a scaffolding out of wood which had ends on it that look like the metal roof jack on it. The only difference is I drilled hole in the ends of the scaffolding to attach a rope so nothing was nailed to the roof.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-09-2018, 10:42 AM

View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
Roof jacks....they nail down with 16 penny nails and have slotted holes in them. Drive them up when done and they are off the nail. Usually a 2x6 fits them.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-09-2018, 12:07 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Roof jacks, I got a set someplace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5D9A5B57-61B0-4216-9BD7-5F01D1F69E8C.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	347425  

post #8 of 13 Old 03-09-2018, 12:27 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a set of 4 roof jacks 40 years ago for $5 at a yard sale. Might use them once in every 6 years, but they have well paid their way. I hired a firm to roof my last house because it was not only steep, on the back side it was a forty foot drop to the ground. They were tied off with safety harnesses and used roof jacks. But they were accustomed to such work and could walk up right in places where I would be crawling and shaking in fear.

When i was about 17, I slid off a quonset hut roof and landed on some cedar trees. I was only shook up, but learned to be very cautious.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-09-2018, 02:38 PM

View Cephus's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzdreher View Post
I bought a set of 4 roof jacks 40 years ago for $5 at a yard sale. Might use them once in every 6 years, but they have well paid their way. I hired a firm to roof my last house because it was not only steep, on the back side it was a forty foot drop to the ground. They were tied off with safety harnesses and used roof jacks. But they were accustomed to such work and could walk up right in places where I would be crawling and shaking in fear.

When i was about 17, I slid off a quonset hut roof and landed on some cedar trees. I was only shook up, but learned to be very cautious.
I don't bother roofing anymore, I have roofed a couple of houses in the past, but now, with city requirements and permitting, I don't know if it's even legal to do your own anymore, at least around here. So when I had mine done last summer, it was a professional crew that did it.

That said, some of these kids are crazy. I saw them leaping off the roof to the ground like it was nothing. Luckily, there's nothing dangerous for them to land on, at least at my house, but I wouldn't be making 10-15 foot jumps for no reason when a perfectly serviceable ladder is a couple of feet away.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-09-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
I don't bother roofing anymore, I have roofed a couple of houses in the past, but now, with city requirements and permitting, I don't know if it's even legal to do your own anymore, at least around here. So when I had mine done last summer, it was a professional crew that did it.

That said, some of these kids are crazy. I saw them leaping off the roof to the ground like it was nothing. Luckily, there's nothing dangerous for them to land on, at least at my house, but I wouldn't be making 10-15 foot jumps for no reason when a perfectly serviceable ladder is a couple of feet away.
I think in Texas if you are breathing you are qualified to put on a roof. Whether it is done right is another story.

I think in this case the roof is bound to leak but since the roof is steep it may be a decade before the homeowner knows it. By then the roofer will be long gone.
Catpower likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-10-2018, 09:36 AM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I've only had to do that once and I made a scaffolding which was suspended by ropes from the other side of the house. I was watching some professional roofers today and they were nailing 2x4's all over the finished part of the roof to stand on. Looks like the roof would leak all over from all the nail holes.
I had the chimney rebuilt on my 2 story house. They put up scaffolding and secured it to the house by nailing the support rods to 2 X 4's that were nailed through the roof shingles. I asked how they planned on patching the nail holes through the shingles. They lifted the shingles and used small pieces of aluminum flashing and caulk to seal the nail holes. They told me this was a common practice. Hopefully they did the same thing on the roofing job that you referred to.
I also saw a video on the 'proper' way to climb a ladder and step onto a roof. Before stepping onto the roof the demonstrator nailed a 2 X 4 onto the roof and stepped off the ladder onto the 2 X 4. When he was done he removed the 2 X 4 and caulked the under side of the shingles to seal the nail holes.
Bob Willing likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-10-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMIEM View Post
I had the chimney rebuilt on my 2 story house. They put up scaffolding and secured it to the house by nailing the support rods to 2 X 4's that were nailed through the roof shingles. I asked how they planned on patching the nail holes through the shingles. They lifted the shingles and used small pieces of aluminum flashing and caulk to seal the nail holes. They told me this was a common practice. Hopefully they did the same thing on the roofing job that you referred to.
I also saw a video on the 'proper' way to climb a ladder and step onto a roof. Before stepping onto the roof the demonstrator nailed a 2 X 4 onto the roof and stepped off the ladder onto the 2 X 4. When he was done he removed the 2 X 4 and caulked the under side of the shingles to seal the nail holes.
That would explain a lot however I wouldn't want a new roof with nail holes in it even if it was patched. It looks like if I can come up with a better solution on the spur of the moment the professionals could come up with something better. Maybe I should invent one and get rich. Something with adjustable angles and a motorized wench so the roofer can move the scaffolding up the roof as he goes.

The roof jack looks pretty good but it looks like a lot of trouble. It also causes you to put nail holes in the felt paper.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-10-2018, 11:46 AM

View Cephus's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
That would explain a lot however I wouldn't want a new roof with nail holes in it even if it was patched. It looks like if I can come up with a better solution on the spur of the moment the professionals could come up with something better. Maybe I should invent one and get rich. Something with adjustable angles and a motorized wench so the roofer can move the scaffolding up the roof as he goes.

The roof jack looks pretty good but it looks like a lot of trouble. It also causes you to put nail holes in the felt paper.
It also depends on the kind of roof you have. You couldn't use roof jacks that nail under the shingles on my roof because I have a hurricane-rated roof that isn't glued in the middle, it's glued in the front. You can't lift the shingles at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode