• 2 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By shoot summ
  • 2 Post By sanchez
  • 1 Post By shoot summ
  • 1 Post By Pineknot_86

post #1 of 18 Old 02-05-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
How do you measure counter tops?

I have an unusual shaped tile counter top and I measured the actual counter, but it has an overhang around the cabinets.

Should I measure the actual cabinets for the granite installers?

I guess I should add that I haven’t actually contacted anybody yet about buying them. I wanted to get a good idea before getting prices
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KitchebCounter.png
Views:	40
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	339673  

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.

Last edited by Sleeper; 02-05-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-05-2018, 01:57 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
When I did ours I just got some graft paper and drew the cabinets in with the dimensions and they made the counter top
Sleeper likes this.

There is no app for experience
post #3 of 18 Old 02-05-2018, 02:31 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
You should let them measure....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-05-2018, 02:43 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
our granite installers come and measure. they used to make a cardboard template, but now they use a laser and measure on the laptop. doubt they will accept a homeowners measurements unless you sign off that any misfit is not their fault.

it is more than just dimensions, it is also angles.
Sleeper likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-05-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I guess I should let them measure and I'm sure they will anyway. I had new carpet put in last year and measured it all myself because I was going to install it, but Homedepot had a sale with free installation. They didn't want to even look at my measurements and I noticed they had a lot of waste that I was going to pay for.

I finally convinced them to go with my measurements and removed all the carpet myself so they were able to use it as a template. Not only did I save money on the carpet, but I also prevented seems in bad locations. The guy installing the carpet actually liked it because it made his job easier.

JohnnyB
post #6 of 18 Old 02-05-2018, 03:51 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I never knew of a cabinet or counter contractor that would even give an estimate without doing the measure themselves. There is more to it than the size. Sometimes you have a counter that is so long you can't physically get it in the house where the kitchen is. You think of all that when you measure the work. Then sometimes the walls are so out of square you have to make the counter out of square to match. I've seen granite people take in plastic board and glue the pieces together to match the shape of the wall in order to get the angle right.

The amount of overhang is subjective. When I made formica counter tops I normally made 1" overhang. Most granite people in my area allow 1 1/4" overhang. Then that 2'-6" space where the stove goes the counter should be pretty much flush with the cabinet with no overhang.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Junior

View andr0id's Photo Album My Photos
They're going to come and measure AFTER you base cabinets are installed and nailed down. (er, better be screwed actually)

They all have their own way of doing it so it gets cut like they want and goes down correctly.

If you are concerned about overhang or corners or other specific details, make sure it is all written down when they come and do the measurements.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-05-2018, 09:38 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
You should let them measure....
I agree. My experience has been that no matter how carefully you measure, the granite installers will want to take their own measurements. And itís best that way in case of a problem, itís their measurements not yours.
You will want to be on hand to tell them your design and overhang measurements.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #9 of 18 Old 02-06-2018, 12:14 AM

View Sawdustmaker99's Photo Album My Photos
The guy that put my granite down didnít actually measure anything. They came and glued up wood templets.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-06-2018, 06:41 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
As a complete rookie in 1985, I tried to install a u-shaped melamine counter top in my 1913 home's kitchen and did ok, except for the walls weren't square. A friend with a cabinetmaking business had me get a down-cutting blade for my sabersaw and I was able to trim the miters and salvage it. If I had to do it again, I'd have to think a while about how to measure the walls and cabinets and spec the top to get what I needed.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-06-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducbsa View Post
As a complete rookie in 1985, I tried to install a u-shaped melamine counter top in my 1913 home's kitchen and did ok, except for the walls weren't square. A friend with a cabinetmaking business had me get a down-cutting blade for my sabersaw and I was able to trim the miters and salvage it. If I had to do it again, I'd have to think a while about how to measure the walls and cabinets and spec the top to get what I needed.
You bring up a good point about the walls not being square. I didn't think of that and I don't think there is a square corner in this house. I put in a small L-shaped Formica Counter top in an extra room for hobbies and my factory miter wouldn't close tight because of it.

JohnnyB
post #12 of 18 Old 02-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
You bring up a good point about the walls not being square. I didn't think of that and I don't think there is a square corner in this house. I put in a small L-shaped Formica Counter top in an extra room for hobbies and my factory miter wouldn't close tight because of it.
I would always close the miter tight before the top went in, then scribe the top to the walls.

You don't want that miter open at all...

And as others have stated, have the Stone company do their templates for the top, you do not want them working off of your measurements. If it is wrong then it is out of your wallet...
Sleeper likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-06-2018, 02:41 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
The common molded Formica tops are made with a thin lip at the top of the backsplash so the home owner can install them with basic tools, the newer tops should be measured by the supplier. It is also a good idea to get any under-mounted sinks installed by them as well.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #14 of 18 Old 02-06-2018, 03:05 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

I ended up making my own reverse L countertop for my basement so it wouldn't have a seam. It was shockingly easy. You get the plywood fit and scribed, then just contact cement the laminate.

The only thing I couldn't have was the rounded edges on the backsplash or front. It had to be square.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150831_192552207_HDR_1517948170968.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	339897  

Sleeper and WesTex like this.

Last edited by sanchez; 02-06-2018 at 03:16 PM.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-06-2018, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
The common molded Formica tops are made with a thin lip at the top of the backsplash so the home owner can install them with basic tools, the newer tops should be measured by the supplier. It is also a good idea to get any under-mounted sinks installed by them as well.
I am going to have an under-mounted sink. My daughter had new counter tops put in last year and she was able to save money by ripping out the old tile counters and I know they cut out for the sink on site, but I can't remember if it was an under-mounted sink. I'll have to ask her tomorrow.
I kept her sink cutout to use as a sharping table.

JohnnyB
post #16 of 18 Old 02-07-2018, 06:35 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I am going to have an under-mounted sink. My daughter had new counter tops put in last year and she was able to save money by ripping out the old tile counters and I know they cut out for the sink on site, but I can't remember if it was an under-mounted sink. I'll have to ask her tomorrow.
I kept her sink cutout to use as a sharping table.
An under mount requires that the cuts be finished and polished, not something they would want to do onsite. Plus the sink has to have anchors attached to the bottom of the stone to keep it in place.

Almost all under mounts are shop installed, so I would bet it was an over mount/drop in sink of sorts.

An under mount will add $$'s to the cost for the additional labor/finishing.
Sleeper likes this.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-07-2018, 07:27 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
I sold cabinetry and countertops. Let the installers measure. If they screw up, it's their baby to diaper. If you screw up with measurements, you are outta luck and will have to pay extra for the correct countertop.
A similar scenario- I worked in electrical at Lowe's. When people would want cut wire, their answer was, "About ***XX." As soon as they said "about" that told me they didn't measure. We had a shelf full of wire that was returned because it was too short! We weren't supposed to take back cut wire but did to keep everyone happy.
Sleeper likes this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-07-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
I sold cabinetry and countertops. Let the installers measure. If they screw up, it's their baby to diaper. If you screw up with measurements, you are outta luck and will have to pay extra for the correct countertop.
A similar scenario- I worked in electrical at Lowe's. When people would want cut wire, their answer was, "About ***XX." As soon as they said "about" that told me they didn't measure. We had a shelf full of wire that was returned because it was too short! We weren't supposed to take back cut wire but did to keep everyone happy.
You are correct. They did cut it at the shop and they also installed the sink. My daughter installed the fixtures and disposal.

I talked to my daughter and she said they brought the scrap piece of granite for me along with the countertops and they were not too happy about it. I donít know what the big deal was, the piece they gave me was only 11Ēx18Ē and it wasnít like it was finished or anything.

Anyway we are just going to let them do everything and not confuse things.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode