How do you get a sheet of plywood home? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
TCM

View TCM's Photo Album My Photos
How do you get a sheet of plywood home?

If you don't own a pickup truck, how do you get a sheet of plywood home? My next two projects call of sheets of plywood, but i'm a little unsure how i'm going to get it home.

I have a '05 Ford Escape with a luggage rack on top. I also have some of those ratcheting ties that you use to secure a motorcycle to a flat bed truck, but i'm not sure if this is the most practical way.

Lowes will rent you a truck for $20, but that seems expensive if i'm only buying two sheets of plywood. I don't really have the money to buy in bulk right now.

If anyone has suggestions, i'm open to hear them.

I'm a newbie! My experience with 'woodworking' is cussing at clamps and getting glue all over everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
How many sheets?
Here's how I do it.

How do you get a sheet of plywood home?-image-1925733544.jpg

Laughing!!!!!

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #3 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 04:17 PM

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 07 Escape and full sheets will fit diagonally in the back if you put the seats down. I've not been too nervous about breaking plywood this way, but mdf made me a little nervous when I tried it that way.

Otherwise I have them break the sheets down some for me based on what final dimensions I need. Especially after my first experience breaking down mdf and the terrible mess it made. The fewer full length rip cuts I need to clean up after the better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 04:18 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
+1 to having them break it down.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #5 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I love Dominick's picture. I recall seeing the story some years ago. Unbelievable.

The challenge with a roof rack is supporting the plywood. The wind wants to lift the plywood and if not supported it can vibrate a lot.

The roof rack rails are normally only 2 - 3 ft apart. I would mount two 2 x 4 x8 ft studs on top of the roof rack. Try to place so the plywood is centred if possible.

The plywood can overhang on the length, but you want to secure the plywood to the 2x4 at the ends. This can be done with clamps, but ideally if you can screw the plywood to the studs, it will be best.

You will have to use the racheting ties to stop the plywood from moving from side to side. Also need to do the same for front to back.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
Dominick (12-06-2012)
post #6 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
I think that pic is fake though. It would be funny to see. Lol
Ok back to reality. How far do you have to travel?
Do you know anyone with a truck? If not strap it to the roof rack. Not a big deal, unless your going on the interstate.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #7 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM

View Sorrowful Jones's Photo Album My Photos
How far do you live from where you're buying the plywood? Maybe you could offer a small sum to someone who would haul them for you. Not too long ago I saw a guy at Lowe's trying to strap a piece of plywood to the top of a SUV. Turns out he was only going a short distance so I hauled it for him.

Also, if you have a trailer hitch maybe you could borrow a trailer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sorrowful Jones For This Useful Post:
Dominick (12-06-2012)
post #8 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
TCM

I have to go about 5 miles. It's all country roads, 45 mph.

I don't see how a diagonal sheet will fit unless I leave the gate down. Now, I have never had HD or Lowes cut lumber for me, but I heard that they are not very accurate. One of the projects I have uses a full sheet of plywood, and if they don't cut it exact, my project isn't going to be right. Otherwise I would just have them cut it down for me.

Another problem I have is that they won't help you tie things down. I understand why, but that still doesn't help me. Because i'm certainly not tall enough to reach the top of my car. I suppose I could always take a step ladder with me.

I'm a newbie! My experience with 'woodworking' is cussing at clamps and getting glue all over everything.
post #9 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
(clever wood pun here)

View Phaedrus's Photo Album My Photos
I built support to haul some 1/4" masonite sheets home for some signs I was painting. I did 2x4's across and 1x4's extending the length with half-lap joints, glued and screwed. I did another pair of 1x4's extending front to back, connected the the bottom part of the frame at the front with about 3/4 gap for the masonite to fit into. The whole thing was held down with ratcheting straps. All of the weight was put onto the fixed rails that run the length of the car with no weight being put on the cross rails (which are much lighter weight). The masonite sheets just simply slid in the back . I had stops on the sides and of course the front where the top and bottom of the frame connected. An additional strap around the back kept everything in place. I used the same rack to deliver the finished sign.

While painting, I removed the top half and used the bottom portion as a makeshift easel. Afterwards, I recycled some of the wood into a storage rack for our rocketbox when not in use.

post #10 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM

View MeasureTwice's Photo Album My Photos
FWIW I have had real good luck with the HD next to me. I have only had them rip lengthwise since that what was what I needed anyway but the cuts have been clean and accurate. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Also, nothing to do directly with your question but I've found the Gorilla Gripper to be really helpful when handling full 4x8 sheets.

"It don't take all kinds, there just are all kinds"
Granny Clampett
post #11 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 PM

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah I left the gate open and held it partially shut with bungies
post #12 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 PM
(clever wood pun here)

View Phaedrus's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
I have to go about 5 miles. It's all country roads, 45 mph.

I don't see how a diagonal sheet will fit unless I leave the gate down. Now, I have never had HD or Lowes cut lumber for me, but I heard that they are not very accurate. One of the projects I have uses a full sheet of plywood, and if they don't cut it exact, my project isn't going to be right. Otherwise I would just have them cut it down for me.

Another problem I have is that they won't help you tie things down. I understand why, but that still doesn't help me. Because i'm certainly not tall enough to reach the top of my car. I suppose I could always take a step ladder with me.
I'm 5'08" and was able to strap mine down by standing in the door sill on the sides, standing on top of the back tire, and standing inside of the cargo bay of the back. I am pretty accustomed to it because we use the roof rack when we travel.

As for the lumber yard breaking down the stock for you, that's hit and miss. Just like anything, there are people working there who know their stuff and lots who don't. They will more than likely be ripping with a panel saw that they will set up hastily. The blade will also probably be less than perfect. I wouldn't chance it if you don't have any room for error.
post #13 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
TCM

Phadrus, that actually looks like a good idea.

I don't really have access to a truck, so I have two options (3 if you count letting then cut it down at the store) either Phadrus's idea, or driving with the lift gate open. I'm in a hurry to get started on these projects. I'll get the plywood home if I have to carry it.

post #14 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 PM

View Deanr's Photo Album My Photos
I have always had good with the box stores cutting plywood. When using their panel saw they are every bit as accurate as I can be.
I guess if they don't get it right ask them to cut another.
post #15 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 PM

View jharris2's Photo Album My Photos
Hi TCM,

Maybe something like this?

Name:  ForumRunner_20110420_182217.jpg
Views: 17192
Size:  63.7 KB

It seems pretty simple and inexpensive to make but storage between uses might be a PITA.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did in his
sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Jack Handey
post #16 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 PM

View GROOVY's Photo Album My Photos
I am in Rock Hill and will haul it for you.....?
post #17 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 PM

View BigBull's Photo Album My Photos
Barrow a trailer???

"Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer, 'Am I worth dying for?'"

Eleanor Roosevelt
post #18 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris2 View Post
Hi TCM,

Maybe something like this?

Attachment 56536

It seems pretty simple and inexpensive to make but storage between uses might be a PITA.
I was going to suggest that modification, as it looks like the one I posted a while back. Or, just get the store to size it, and leave it slightly large and trim it to your needs.

post #19 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
TCM

@Groovy, i'll keep you in mind if I can't figure out a way to do it myself. Thank you.

Cabinetman, my cuts need to be 39 7/8 inches, there is no room for error. So I really don't know if I can trust them to be accurate. Although, now that i'm looking a little closer to my plans, I may modify a slight bit, which will give me a little wiggle room to have the store cut it.

post #20 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 PM

View Dave66's Photo Album My Photos
1. Have them cut it down to something close to what you need.
2. Borrow a pickup
3. Rent one of theirs - the $20 is way cheaper than having it blow off the top of your car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode