How do I get this look? alder guitar - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

View libertyfalls's Photo Album My Photos
How do I get this look? alder guitar

This is my first post! Ive been wanting to achieve this desired look (picture below). Ive tried walnut water based stain, shoe polish, etc and they all look good dont get me wrong but not perfect. They always look stained instead of worn over time.

I dont know if this look is achieved through fuming, lye solution, etc.

It is made of alder wood.

Im talking about the wood grain itself. I know the other wear marks can be replicated with sandpaper or rotary tools. I need to know how to get the alder wood to look like this!

Can someone help me out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 03:36 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Ah, the chipped off paint look.

Years ago, one of my students refinished his guitar using a right angle snag grinder. Looked pretty cool when he finished it, looked similar to that guit.

Harrison, at your service!
post #3 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 AM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Leave it outside for a while JK. Looks like they sanded it down until just before going through the top coat. I see you already went through. Take Mohawk powder stain wipe it on dry Just the powder then spray sealer and ultra flat lacquered to lock it in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersHand View Post
Leave it outside for a while JK. Looks like they sanded it down until just before going through the top coat. I see you already went through. Take Mohawk powder stain wipe it on dry Just the powder then spray sealer and ultra flat lacquered to lock it in

What color of mohawk stain would you recommend? I dont know if there is only one color used or several layers.

This is one of my latest tries at obtaining the look and it looks ok dont get me wrong, but not as authentic and dirty as the real thing. The original pictures I posted is not a real old one. It is a 2004 guitar made to look old by professionals that definitely wont reveal their secrets.

I achieved this look by sanding the entire thing with 60 grit then staining with colonial walnut minwax water based stain, the next day sanding it with 100 grit and staining with same stain, then the next day sanding it with 150 and staining it yet again.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 06:56 PM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
They have so many colors and you can mix the powder. You can actually get the big set which is great for touch on installs. If I could see it in person I could probably tell you which one's. Just going to have to keep experimenting until you like what you see. Good Luck
post #6 of 7 Old 01-07-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

I bought another alder body that Im going to try several different things on. Seems to me that since these look so much like real old ones that are beat up that they manipulate the tannin level in the wood somehow so Im going to try that first. Here is what Im going to try...

Lye solution rub
more concentrated lye solution rub
fuming with ammonia
ammonia rub
household ammonia rub
concentrated tea rub

Ill post a picture after I do these. See what it looks like. Ill make sure to tape off all but a stripe when fuming so I dont darken the whole body.

If these methods dont work (and they probably wont) Ill try different stains, dyes, etc.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Tags
alder, fuming, grain, guitar, staining

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode