how to configure an air hose extension to blow shop dust off rafters - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By epicfail48
  • 1 Post By difalkner
  • 4 Post By NoThankyou
  • 2 Post By shoot summ
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

View cassidy's Photo Album My Photos
how to configure an air hose extension to blow shop dust off rafters

My shop (hobby woodworking) has 10" x 8" beams across the top of the shop up with their underside about 16' from the floor and a structure of 4 triangles of these same sized beams on top of these cross-beams extending up to the topmost apex of the ceiling which is about 24' up. These beam upper surfaces, the light fixtures hanging down to 16' from the floor and two ceiling fans hanging down to about 15.5' from the floor all collect dust from my woodworking, even though I have an air filtration system (box) hanging up there from one of the beams, and I also use a Festool cleantec vacuum with an oneida air systems sawdust collection box on top of it, with an oneida dust deputy on top of the box, that all works pretty well at machine and floor level. But dust from the woodworking still collects up there on the beams, light fixtures and fan blades.

Rather than using a ladder to climb up there intermittently to dust all these off, I am thinking about fabricating some sort of aluminum or steel tube (I don't think PVC will be strong and inflexible enough) the same diameter as my air compressor hose (looks like about 3/8" ID on one hose an 1/2" ID on the there). I occasionally use my air compressor (small, portable) with the hose, and a quick-connector triggered nozzle (from Lowe's) to blow-clean dust from the floor and lower parts of the shop, but would like a long tube extension with a 90 degree nozzle on the end of it to reach these high beams, lights and fans, and with a trigger to activate the nozzle located on my end of the tube so I can control (on and off) blowing off the dust up there. I would rely on the air filtration system up there to remove much of the dust blown into the air and the vacuum to clean the remainder when it settles to floor and lower parts. Also, as always, I would wear a breathing mask.

Any ideas on how I should fabricate this tube/nozzle? I think metal fabrication will be required, and that's OK.

All thoughts are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 07:20 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I seem to recall hearing that metal brake lines will screw into a standard air blow gun without modification. Be a lot easier than rigging something up to a hose, just swing by an auto parts store
woodnthings and homestd like this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 08:47 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I just checked ......

Common NPT pipe thread screws into the female threads on my couplers, I believe it's 1/8" pipe and 1/4" pipe. This would be more rigid and heavier if that's what you need. Cheap also compared to brake lines. I did check my largest brake line and it also fit. I did not have one of the next size down, but I'm thinking they are all NPT sizes. How convenient! This means that an air hose will thread onto rigid pipe when you want to run air lines across the shop and then have a hose at the far end OR a shut off, also the same threads. Bring a female coupler when you shop for the pipe or the brake lines .....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-18-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 09:49 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Copper tubing works well and there are hundreds of fittings available. Plus you can bend the copper tubing to get into odd areas.

David
IowaDave likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #5 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 12:38 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Wouldn't it be better to get an extension hose for the shop vacuum and remove the dust rather than blow it all over the shop?

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #6 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

I haven't been able to find extensions or other tubes suitable for the length required for vacuuming from my vacuum setup. Also, need an almost u-shaped far end to apply the vacuum to the topmost side of the upper parts up there.

Another concern is I am not sure if transitioning from the air hose to a smaller inside diameter long tube such as an brake line or small ID pipe will reduce the air pressure insufficient for the nozzle at the end of the line/pipe to produce accelerated air blast. Might not need a nozzle, but that would empty my electric motor driven air compression tank pretty quickly.

The trigger to shoot the nozzle will also have to be positioned between the air hose and the extension brake line or pipe. Any thoughts on how to do this?
post #7 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 11:32 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I use a backpack blower to clean my shop out occasionally, also have a Dewalt battery powered blower that I use, both are very effective and much more efficient than using compressed air.
IowaDave and Kerrys like this.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 11:32 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
It reads to me like you are going to need at least a 10" extension to reach where you want. I think you are going to run into a bending problem with something as small as brake line.

Since you are going to be blowing dust around anyway, I think you would be better off using a strong leaf blower. This what I use to blow out dust and debris from my garage/shop.

George
shoot summ likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 01:13 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I picked this blower up on clearance at Homer a couple of years ago. Wife scoffed at me when I brought it in, it is now the goto tool for so many things. Blowing dog hair from under, and behind things in the house, starting fires, and cleaning up my shop. I've considered getting a second one as I always have to go find it when I need it.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...blower/dce100b
post #10 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 04:06 PM

View IowaDave's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I use a backpack blower to clean my shop out occasionally, also have a Dewalt battery powered blower that I use, both are very effective and much more efficient than using compressed air.
I did this too from time to time at my son's shop...but he now has much better dust control, so it is no longer necessary. But it worked fine when we did it.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-25-2020, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

I think I might have figured out a way to fabricate a series of connected tube extensions collectively long enough to reach the rafter beams, with a u-shaped tube to connect to the far end to attach a vacuum brush. Could connect the near end to my shop vacuum setup as described above. Had to think about who make tubes about that diameter and can reduce the end of each extension tube to fit into the next extension tube so they all connect and are stiff enough. Muffler shops! I'll draw up a design and go see a muffler shop to see what they can do. All thoughts and comments are welcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode