• 1 Post By Tennessee Tim
  • 1 Post By Jay C. White Cloud
  • 1 Post By Tennessee Tim

post #1 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
How Big a Log?....

Im hoping to make a carved chair seat. Ive been searching for a slab of lumber with no success, so now Im going to start looking for a log that will yield a piece of wood 4 thick; 10 wide and 24 long. Ill resaw it to make a piece 2 thick, 20 wide and 24 long. After end checks and cracks, I figure Ill be able to get a piece 18 wide by 20 inches long.

Anyway, Im trying to figure out how big the diameter of the log has to be to yield a quartersawn piece 4 x 10 x 24. I figure I want to avoid the pith, right?
Would a 24 diameter log be big enough?

I've attached a sketch to describe what I'm thinking.

If it matters, Im hoping to get cherry or walnut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	344985  

Jay C. White Cloud likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 07:04 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You know it takes forever for a log to dry sufficient. Cherry would be more prone to checking than walnut but working with green wood I think you would have better luck with eastern red cedar or cypress.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Im not planning to dry it as a log. I would cut out the 4 x 10 piece, then resaw it into the 2 thick pieces. Then Id only be 2 years from being able to use it. (Unless I can find someone to kilo dry it for me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Im not planning to dry it as a log. I would cut out the 4 x 10 piece, then resaw it into the 2 thick pieces. Then Id only be 2 years from being able to use it. (Unless I can find someone to kilo dry it for me)
You might save yourself a lot of grief if you would just glue up kiln dried lumber.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

I would gladly glue up two pieces of kiln dried lumber, but I cant seem to find a piece big enough.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 10:51 PM

For a long time I was only able to get lumber 3/4" thick. I made a lot of very large turnings and carvings out of gluing up 3/4. On walnut it isn't difficult to grain match to where when it's done you can hardly tell it was made of thinner stock.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-01-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I hear ya, but Im going for a certain look thats best achieved with the chunk of wood I described.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-01-2018, 02:43 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I’m hoping to make a carved chair seat. I’ve been searching for a slab of lumber with no success, so now I’m going to start looking for a log that will yield a piece of wood 4” thick; 10” wide and 24” long. I’ll resaw it to make a piece 2” thick, 20” wide and 24” long. After end checks and cracks, I figure I’ll be able to get a piece 18” wide by 20 inches long.

Anyway, I’m trying to figure out how big the diameter of the log has to be to yield a quartersawn piece 4” x 10” x 24”. I figure I want to avoid the pith, right?
Would a 24” diameter log be big enough?

If it matters, I’m hoping to get cherry or walnut...

I’m not planning to dry it as a log. I would cut out the 4” x 10” piece, then resaw it into the 2” thick pieces. Then I’d only be 2 years from being able to use it. (Unless I can find someone to kilo dry it for me)
Hello Quickstep,

Let me know if my advice here is not in your style or the way you want to approach this?

I will just follow along otherwise.

These types of chair bottoms are usually made of green wood...not dry lumber!!!. Its not how it was or is done typically, and the thought of doing this with "dry lumber" is a..."modern concept." So I commend you on trying it "old school"!!

The type of wood does matter even though the approach is pretty much the same for the most part.

For beginners a nice bolt of White Pine is a great "first try." You want a bolt section between the "limb whirls." Many other species will work well too...What do you want or have?

At this stage however things really do go "old school" as you are going to rive the wood out of the bolt section...So I will be quiet now if you want to do it some other way?

Good Luck!!

j

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
Stephen Covey:"Seek to understand, before seeking to be understood..."

Last edited by Jay C. White Cloud; 03-01-2018 at 03:14 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
No one asked!!!! LOL.

Quote:
Im hoping to make a carved chair seat. Ive been searching for a slab of lumber with no success, so now Im going to start looking for a log that will yield a piece of wood 4 thick; 10 wide and 24 long. Ill resaw it to make a piece 2 thick, 20 wide and 24 long. After end checks and cracks, I figure Ill be able to get a piece 18 wide by 20 inches long.

Anyway, Im trying to figure out how big the diameter of the log has to be to yield a quartersawn piece 4 x 10 x 24. I figure I want to avoid the pith, right?
Would a 24 diameter log be big enough?

If it matters, Im hoping to get cherry or walnut.
Kinda like these air dried....OR maybe there might still be a few chunks to rive.

Not size of logs marked on the ends and when cut 04/16 ....2 seperate logs...I would have to confirm as I sold one a few months back of the many I have.

2nd log has white streaks...BUT may be a little smaller than desired.

Name:  0428161208 web.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  0428161213 web.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  38.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7475 web.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7480 web.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  41.3 KB

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-01-2018, 10:41 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Tim View Post
Kinda like these air dried....OR maybe there might still be a few chunks to rive.

Not size of logs marked on the ends and when cut 04/16 ....2 seperate logs...I would have to confirm as I sold one a few months back of the many I have.

2nd log has white streaks...BUT may be a little smaller than desired.

Attachment 345233

Attachment 345241

Attachment 345249

Attachment 345257
Well now...those be some mighty sweet slabs!!! No need to really rive such fine stock! Just some very pleasant shaping with fine edges for the task of solid wood chair bottoms.

Note: if you do have access to such things as these beauties...the sky is the limit in what can come of them...
Tennessee Tim likes this.

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay C. White Cloud For This Useful Post:
Tennessee Tim (03-02-2018)
post #11 of 15 Old 03-02-2018, 07:05 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
walllumber.com has all kinds of lumber up to 16/4 thickness and some even 16" and wider.

As they used to say, "let your finders do the walking." What you need is easy to find.

George
post #12 of 15 Old 03-02-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
walllumber.com has all kinds of lumber up to 16/4 thickness and some even 16" and wider.

As they used to say, "let your finders do the walking." What you need is easy to find.

George

Thanks for the tip, I thought I’d looked everywhere. But, I don’t see any 16/4 walnut or cherry on the site. Also, most lumber yards don’t want to sell a short piece.

Last edited by Quickstep; 03-02-2018 at 07:18 AM.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-02-2018, 07:24 AM
Timber Wright-Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post

George
I imagine, as I sit here sipping my morning coffee, and watching this snow storm roll by, that like many of us (me included) that start (or are) getting into such projects as Quickstep is alluding to...they both won't to save money (who doesn't) and try their hand at a "stomp to chair" project...The popularity of Alexander's "Make a chair from a tree" and related text on traditional Windsor Chairs, along with the boundless workshops that have been conducted around such tome over the decades is testament to that interest by many...
Tennessee Tim likes this.

Tosa Tomo Designs
post #14 of 15 Old 03-02-2018, 08:44 AM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a link to my short walnut logs cut http://www.tsmfarms.com/walnut-shorts.html . I normally try to do slide show of all flitches in log starting top , open as bookmatch and continue down through stack showing the front in one pic with back in next so you see actual order and bookmatches.

My numbering system on the end of log AND usually as the control # will read something like this
20" x 21" - 67"L sometimes a 3rd width is used with crotch slabs....It is basically widest width end x widest width other end (x sometimes 3rd W that would be a odd middle) - Length (W" x W" x L").

Sorry I haven't been sawing as much in the last year and half.... I keep MANY irons in the fire and the primary incomer gets priority....We have replaced our saw with a wider Cooks 52" superwide....weather has been hades here for outdoor work on farm so the start-up has been delayed. We've added a show for April 6-7th in Lebanon TN at "The Mill in Lebanon"..... HHhhhmmmmmMMMM...I see more late nighters coming on.

Enjoy....

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-02-2018, 09:10 AM
Timber Wright-Guide

Hey QuickStep,

If you haven't seen any of Mr. Chickadee's videos, you may enjoy them...

Here is another video outlining many of the steps by another very talented young woodworker out there creating great stuff and keeping the skills alive!

This style (and modality) of chair making is perhaps one of the most elegant from the 18th century...and with...perhaps the broadest range of approaches in creating them. The basics are the same, but the "hidden" trade secrets that went into these kept some shops open while others failed...

Bob Willing likes this.

Tosa Tomo Designs

Last edited by Jay C. White Cloud; 03-02-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode