How To Attatch Shelves? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-29-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

View EasternORFurtakers's Photo Album My Photos
How To Attatch Shelves?

Good Morning. I am designing a reloading bench to build within the next week or two. I have attached a couple pictures to give an idea of what I am trying to build. The first picture is what I am basing my bench off of, and the second is the shelving I am wanting to build for the bench. The space where I am putting the bench is a 5' by 26" space in my room, which will be the size of the bench. I'm only 18 and will be living at home through Community College, so I am building the bench for my room and will eventually take it with me when I move out. The height of bench will be between 38" and 42", and the shelves will stop around 6' in height. I have a good idea how I am going to build the bench since I have build a work bench before, but I am unsure how to attach the shelves to the bench top. Is there a certain way I should attach the shelves? Thanks for any help or advice in advance.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image_1461950948816.jpeg (21.2 KB, 80 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-29-2016, 04:20 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Why do you want to attach the shelves too the bench? Just let the shelf "unit" stand free.

If you just have to attach them for strability or "just because" there are any number of methods. Free floating dowels, strap between top and bench, Pocket screws, etc.

George
post #3 of 6 Old 04-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Nine Thumbs

View Shop_Rat's Photo Album My Photos
If you are actually going to reload, do not let your shelves stand free. Jacking on the press can make for a lot of wiggle in the table unless you build the bench super-hellfor-stout... and then some. I even bolted my bench to a wall. However, attaching the shelves can be as simple as a couple of carefully laid out screws up from the bottom. George has several other options covered as well.

Another $000,000,000.02 worth of advice,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-29-2016, 10:06 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
My suggestion is build the bench and the shelf unit separately. Make the back of the shelf 3" longer to hang behind the bench. Attach to the apron surrounding the bench at the back with 4 screws.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 6 Old 04-30-2016, 01:54 AM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
Agreed. My reloading bench and shelves are separate and I think that is a better approach unless you do overbuild the bench.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra "Works" LS25 router table | Grizzly G1023RL
post #6 of 6 Old 04-30-2016, 01:27 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
The only way to do this and keep your sanity is to dado everything. When all the slots are cut, the unit will actually somewhat square itself up. The need for a third hand is eliminated by using picture frame clamps. Just glue and air nail or screw where you can. Where you cant, the glue and surrounding structure will keep the shelves in place.
get some graph and hand draw the sketch with the dado slots. It will take a few hours of planning and about 15 minutes of assembly. Otherwise it might be the other way around.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode