How to attach this corbel/bracket - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By WesTex

post #1 of 13 Old 03-16-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

View jeremymcon's Photo Album My Photos
How to attach this corbel/bracket

I have a book case nearly done, and I neglected to think about how to attach the corbels to it before gluing the whole thing up.

My first though was just to glue and clamp them. However, I don't have clamps long enough to clamp them, and there's no access for the clamps anyway.

My second thought was to use my self centering doweling jig, but there isn't enough of a lip on the uprights of the cabinet to register the jig on!

I tried making a wooden doweling jig, but it is hard to keep it from wandering a bit without lots of clamping force. Which is won't have because there's nowhere to place a clamp!

If I had a biscuit jointer I'd use it. But I don't.

Are there any other obvious options that I'm just missing?

See the attached picture. The corbels are held in place temporarily in the picture with a piece of tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180316_185704619_HDR_1521251784384.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	349450  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-16-2018, 10:06 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Your corbels are for design only. They don’t bear weight. So you can pre-drill two tiny holes in each and using two small finish nails, glue in place. If you set the nail heads, rub a little wood dough over the holes and it will be invisible.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 13 Old 03-16-2018, 10:08 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
I agree that #10 or #0 biscuits would work fine. As an alternative, I'd glue them in place and use old bicycle inner tubes to hold/clamp them while the glue sets. Then I'd use 1/8" pins to keep them from coming adrift later on. I use bamboo skewers (available in the grocery store) glued in as the pins and pare them flush with a chisel after the glue sets. You can angle them in from the inside so they are invisible.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Jermey,

I work almost exclusively in traditional wood craft so what I'm about to ask..and propose is outside the context of my norm...but...I think it will work. (There are other options too if you want actual joinery?)

Since these small bracket are primarily cosmetic and stylization to the piece, beyond actual load or joint strengthening. I would use a quick set highs strength Hot Glue adhesive. I've done similar in like conditions with good effect. Note. make sure you have clear registration marks ahead of time indicating exactly where you want these to be placed. These could also be clamped with simple rubber tubing warped around to hold them in place. Rubber Tub clamping is a succession clamping method and each wrap generates more and more pressure. The amount of force can be surprising with just 5 wraps. Use regular Titebond, hold in place with tape...Then wrap to put pressure on the piece till the adhesive sets...

Good Luck,

j
post #5 of 13 Old 03-16-2018, 10:15 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You could do one side at a time. Lay the cabinet on it's side and glue the corbel on and just hold it in place with masking tape. If the corbel fits well with no gaps it will hold.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-16-2018, 10:53 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Jeremy, buy some double sided tape made by Fastcap. The longer it stays the harder it is to get off. It's really thin and I promise you will like it.

http://www.rockler.com/fastcap-speed...ble-sided-tape

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-16-2018, 11:19 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
I often use surgical tubing for those odd clamping situations. That would be my first choice. Failing access to such tubing, Steve’s masking tape method also works well with well-fitting parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
35015 likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-17-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I think I'll try laying it on its side and tape. I'll take care to make sure the pieces fit well first. I wish I had made these and just used my doweling jig before I glued up... I think this will work though.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-17-2018, 11:10 AM

View thehunnter's Photo Album My Photos
I'm making a cypurs table top i'm planning on using dowel pins.does anyone have any idea of the best way to join the 3pcs
post #10 of 13 Old 03-17-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehunnter View Post
I'm making a cypurs table top i'm planning on using dowel pins.does anyone have any idea of the best way to join the 3pcs
You don't normally need to dowel the wood together when making a table top. If you joint the wood to where it fits well just glue alone should do it. If you just wish to use dowels that is alright too. Drilling dowel holes you really need a doweling jig. The least little bit off and you will have a lot of trouble gluing the boards together. Another method which is stronger than the dowel is to put a spline in the joint. You could stop the dado's for the spline about 3" from each ends of the top so the spline wouldn't show.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-17-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Tipping the bookcase on its side and using blue tape was the trick!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180317_135430604_1521336962747.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	349690  

post #12 of 13 Old 03-17-2018, 09:42 PM

For that to work it has to be done with yellow tape though.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-18-2018, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Oh no! It'll never hold up now because of the color of the tape! ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode