Hopefully my wife learned something :) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By t.carpenter00
  • 1 Post By TwoRails

post #1 of 4 Old 12-15-2018, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
Hopefully my wife learned something :)

My wife had a old bifold screen that was coming apart. So she ask me if I could build another for her and I said yes. The old ones was made out of composite wood (particle) and was kinda hard for her to move around so I got some select pine from home depot and made a set for her. She got some Dark Walnut Stain and Polyurethane by Varathane and before she started staining it I mention she made need to get some wood conditionar since it was pine the bifolds was made out of and the wood might soak it up unevenly. She mention she was not worried about it so I said okay. She uses paint alot and I guess she thought that stain would cover like paint.

Well she followed the directions on the can including getting a brush for it and did 2 coats in the proper time frame. She came to me upset after the 2nd coat dried and luckly she did only one panel and well light and dark splotches all over it. Now to her defense there is nothing on the can that mentions conditioning the wood but under the website on home depot where she bought the can there under questions and answers someone ran into the same problem with pine and the manufacture mention getting wood conditionar to coat the wood first to fill up the large pores on pine.

So since money is tied up with Christmas so at the first I will get enough select pine to build just that one section and get some wood conditionar :)

Marlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-16-2018, 08:58 PM

View t.carpenter00's Photo Album My Photos
There is a great wood conditioner recipe I've used on a couple of small projects. It's 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 3/4 cup of vegetable oil. I've used it on 3 pine projects and it works beautifully. Wipe on, wait, wipe off excess.
That being said, I'm a remodler/trim guy, not a cabinet/furniture maker.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
mjadams61 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-17-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.carpenter00 View Post
There is a great wood conditioner recipe I've used on a couple of small projects. It's 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 3/4 cup of vegetable oil. I've used it on 3 pine projects and it works beautifully. Wipe on, wait, wipe off excess.
That being said, I'm a remodler/trim guy, not a cabinet/furniture maker.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I have some extrascrap pine from the project so I will give it a test later :) I am taking a break today because of health

Marlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-17-2018, 07:05 PM

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Interesting recipe; I might have to give it a try!
mjadams61 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode